1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the Dealer Did to Me Today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John6012, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) John

Your deal sounds OK, although some of the previous posts have suggested more bargaining... certainly worth a try. Regardless of which dealer you use, you can have your Prius serviced wherever you want. Virtually all dealers view their Service Departments as seperate profit centers and should be glad to have your business whether paid or warranty. Both of my Prius were serviced at different dealers from where they were bought and I had no problems with warranty or any service. I certainly would discuss the rude treatment with the Dealership OWNER whether you buy there or elsewhere.

I traded my 2004 Prius for a 2007 Touring Edition, Package 6 Option AO last November after having test driven both the Touring and Standard 2007's. I found the Touring suspension more to my liking, firmer and less lean on turns. The 16" wheels (15" on the Standard) and Bridgestone Turanza tires (larger footprint = more rubber on the road) are more desirable in my opinion. Theoretically the tires would lower MPG a little due to a little more rolling friction, but they have better traction, a good tradeoff I think. I have chosen to run the Bridgestone tires at 35psi front/33 psi rear as recommended by Toyota which I'm confident lowered my MPG a little, but I liked the ride better. I had run my 2004 Goodyear tires at 40/38 psi for MPG purposes. The Package you're considering would also have the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlights and the 'decorative but not very useful' fog lights.

You will love your new Prius. :)

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmm could ask for those special 17" spinner rims and the $3k Bowling ball paint job. You'd have the only "Street Gangsta Edition" until some one else liked what they saw and copied you....

B)

3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The salesman just sent me a copy of the invoice and everything he said was on the invoice. I think I will call them and split the cost of the leather seats- after all, I plan on keeping the Prius several years 0or at least until the plug in and higher MPG arrive on our shores. I was suprised when I read the window sticker it is completely made in Japan!

4. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I sent an email to the salesman and said I'd split the cost of leather seats. I have a question for you that probably belongs in another forum but you guy are following this thread. I know I have up to 3 yrs or 36,000 miles to buy the extended warrenty but do I really need this? I am retired and have an 01 Honda Accord that has 48,000 miles on it. So, you can see we don't drive a whole lot. Thanks, John

5. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I emailed the saleman and got an answer. "No can do sir, we are already giving you a great deal." So I will buy their car unless they sell it so someone else during the interium. Unless---another dealer I'm communicating with can better the options. I'll let you know.

6. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This post is in reply to everyone wanting/getting their car below dealer invoice. It can be done. It takes more than just demanding it to get it, though. I sell Toyotas. I go through this every day. The salesman is NOT the bad guy unless he gives you misinformation/lies about the car's functionality and whatnot. I do not know the price my dealership pays for their new cars. That information is kept from us. We work with the customer to get to the price they're comfortable with. Obviously, if someone's happy with sticker price, I'm not gonna eat into my commission to say "Hey you're paying too much!" If someone's happy with the car they get at an agreed price, nobody got ripped off. simple as that. If I sell a car at or below dealer invoice just to keep a customer (which is very valuable), I get a minimum commission. My minimum commission is 75 dollars. If that's the only car I sell all day, I've pretty much made myself dislike that customer in the back of my mind because they've turned me into a man making close to minimum wage for the time I spent that day on the lot.

Of course you should try to get the best price. Do the best you can. At a certain point, though...it starts getting ridiculous. Below invoice may make somebody some money somewhere....but not the salesman. Give those guys the tiniest break, believe me, they're trying to help...at least I am. Maybe I'm just different and too honest to be selling cars, but this is just the way I feel. I love it, though, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I get to drive new cars every day, talk with people about the cars, and help them find the one they love. It's fun.

in summary: If every dealership sold every car at invoice...there wouldn't be a place to buy cars, you'd have to build them yourself.

7. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The salesman and dealership should be courteous and the buyer also. I am not at the dealership to "fight" the salesman nor to "adopt" him/her. The salesman is to convince me that I am getting a good deal even when I'm not and not to insult me or anyone else. If one dealer can offer a certain package/trade-in then it should apply to a dealer in a larger city with a larger turnover but not always. Never should a buyer insult a saleman nor should the saleman insult the buyer. The dealership loses money in the process and the salesman should find other employment. It should be a sembiotic relationship between the seller and the buyer. Generally, the dealership has sales meetings on how to increase sales and I hear (I'[ve never been in one) that they are trained to distract, disengage, and otherwise separate the buyer from as much money as possible in as short a time as possible.

8. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I actually work for a family owned dealership, so we don't have as much turnover as other large dealerships, and the attitude is pretty laid back. I get insulted constantly, unfortunately. When some people see me walking toward them (to see if I can help them, and of course possibly sell a car), they run away from me. It's not like I'm forcing them to do anything. I've never been that kind of car-buyer in the past anyways. I'd show up at the dealership, tell them what I wanted, and buy it. It's always been easy with me, but everyone's different.

Meh...my post on Priuschat isn't going to suddenly change people's perceptions of salespeople as actual humans, though. To some, it will remain a racket. I accept that.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ Apr 28 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]431520[/snapback]</div>
    commission sucks, doesn't it?

try being a diagnostic tech in the service department, minimum wage would sound *appealing* in the middle of january or any other dead time (inclement weather, tax time, winter). week after tax day, DH was at work for 13 hours one day and billed exactly 0.8 hours... that's just over a buck an hour. woo.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ Apr 27 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]431520[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 29 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]432215[/snapback]</div>
    These sound like arguments against independent dealerships. All cars should be sold at outlets owned by the manufacturer, with everyone working there an employee of the manufacturer.

11. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's been said before, but I'd ask for some legally binding paper listing the price and trade-in which will include the tax-title-licenses and fees. I've had more than one dealer tell me that he had a great deal, all I had to do was come in and sign, got there and everything changed. There technique seems geared towards wearing out the buyer. They may still give you a good deal, but I'd make sure you had something binding before you go out there again.

12. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ Apr 27 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]431321[/snapback]</div>
    Now you have a baseline to start from. The next time they call, tell them you'll let them know and start checking out other dealerships (including the one you had originally planned to visit when the first dealer blew you off).

If you can't get a better deal elsewhere, you can always go back to the first place. Frankly, though, they sound like typical dealership weasels not to be trusted, what with needing your CC# over the phone to 'hold' your car at the agreed price and all the other games they're playing. I'd do the utmost to stay away from them altogether and buy somewhere else (even if it means driving a little further away).

There are lots of 2006 Priuses on dealer lots and you don't need to jump at the first 'deal' that shows up.

13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Another thought... Some have mentioned being sure a Salerperson KNOWS you are shopping the deal... GOOD ADVICE.

When I was negotiating to buy my '07 touring, I made sure my legal pad had the business cards of the other three dealers with whom I was shopping... in plain sight. The selling dealer's Internet Manager noticed and commented "I see you're doing your homework." Just be prepared to say "NO" and walk out the door. In my case, about a week later, they called me and asked "If we can do better, are you still in the market?"... from there, I got a better trade offer and a little more discount on the new 2007.

Make them 'sharpen' their pencils!!

14. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 30 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]432563[/snapback]</div>

I called the general manager who owns 1/2 of the dealership and told him that we were treated rudely by the new car sales manager and if he treated other people like that it was going to cost them money and that one word-money caught his attention. He said he'd take care of the matter and ensure that I was treated right. They offered a Prius pkg 5 with the Extra mile option AO or package A for $6,963.00 and the Tundra. The other dealer I was working with at Autobytel said he couldn't match that....

15. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 27 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]431172[/snapback]</div>

$3K below INVOICE--not likely Queenie.
    IF, I say IF, factual you need to negotiate for everyone. For a fee of course.
    Carl

16. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So, everyone besides the new car sales mgr treated us well. We'll probably end up getting the Prius but will not buy any other addition including ext service warrenty. I have checked after reading other posts/topics on this board and I've communicated with the folks that provide the more reasonable service warrenty and it's $650.00 for the 75,000 mile platinum plan. We have an 01 Honda Accord with 48,000 miles on it and we bought it new. It is now 6 years old and we've done nothing but change the oil every 3,000 mile (probably too soon) and provided fuel. I have never taken it in for warrenty service, work or anything. It's a Honda orphan because it doesn't know where it came from. With this in mind, I'm leaning toward NOT buying any extended service policy...What do you think baed on our history?

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ Apr 30 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]432605[/snapback]</div>
    The hybrid parts are already covered for 100,000 or 150,000 miles. The rest of the stuff should experience less wear compared to a conventional car. Toyota & the Prius have a good record of not needing major repairs. The stuff you will probably want fixed are wear items that are specifically not covered. IMO in this case the extended warranty is a good deal only for the seller.

18. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 30 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]432711[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks JimN, I think I'll pass on extended warrenties. Toyota already builds a great car. One time I bought a new Honda and they tried to sell me the extended warrenty and I replied, "If the car was that bad I wouldn't buy it (the car) anyway." they didn't say a word, and I didn't have a bit of trouble with my new Honda!

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ May 1 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]433533[/snapback]</div>
    John, I tell people to say the same thing. Does seem to shut them up at the dealership.