1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the heck is this chime?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Agusto2017, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Agusto2017

Agusto2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    HI!

I have this posted in the Prius v threads, but I've seemed to have stumped everyone.

Here's the thread:

What's this chime? | PriusChat

Can anyone here help?

I have a v4.

#1 Agusto2017, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a non-PRIUS sound - eg from your SmartPhone (or GPS?).

3. Agusto2017

Agusto2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    It happens when I do not have my cell phone with me. Example. Last night I drove 2 miles to check the river height. No cell phone with me. I returned to my neighborhood and with .4 miles to go, chime! Ugh!

4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you've read all your manuals - the car and the Entertainment System (whatever it's called) and any others they've supplied?

Possibilities - no idea if they chime, but I just thought of these random ones:
    fuel gauge at almost empty?
    Tyre Pressure Indicator?
    Some fluid level low - but I'd have thought a lamp would light?
    Something on the front passenger's seat - triggering the seatbelt alarm occasionally (try doing up the seatbelt or install a passenger:rolleyes:?
    Have you had panel damage repaired - and a door isn't adjusted correctly and it thinks it's open - unlikely, but ...

5. Agusto2017

Agusto2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four

Thanks for the reply.

This chime only happens when I am returning home. When I'm about a 1/2 mile from home. It hasn't happened any where else. It started after an update. I can take a 3 minute trip or a 1000 mile trip...and the only time it chimes is when I am almost home! Since it's a new chime, I'm doubtful any manual will help. Also, interesting, I do not get any chime when I'm low on gas. I wish I did!

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have Navigation - I don't have it so can't be sure. Does it chime outside the place where you've set HOME (assuming it's not your actual home) - and is it that same place ½ mile from home?

Mine on my portable GPS is set for a random home 3 streets away, and if I've got my GPS running to take me home, it makes some sound to tell me I'm HOME as I drive past that house.

Attached Files:

7. Agusto2017

Agusto2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I had set my home address to one of my preset nav destinations! Then used the HOME icon that is provided, clicked sound.
    When I deleted that preset destination, drove away from home, then back.....total silence!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Mendel Leisk, alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news.

When I got my first portable GPS, I think it was the salesman who suggested NOT to put my home address in. Otherwise, if someone steals my car, the GPS takes me to my home, they press the Garage Door opener - and they're in my home. The wrong address takes them up some random person's driveway!!! And hopefully their garage door hasn't got the same code.

So I set it to a random address a few streets away. And - yes, it will make some noise if I drive past it on my way home (which it normally isn't) - but yours is on all the time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.