1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the heck just happened, I own a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coreyart, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Coreyart

Coreyart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What the heck just happened, I own a Prius? Couple weeks ago I was test driving cars for my wife. I tried out a Prius and strange things happened. Visions of my go cart 50 years ago. Memories of watching the Jetsons. My wife and I are separated but still friendly. Unbeknownst to her I went home and started researching. Then I discovered the joys of the PIP.

I've been the owner of three Lexus RX's in a row so coming from that point of view the Prius feels rather sporty to me. So I found a 2013 with 39,000 miles on it for $15,200 and bought it. I would have got a new one but I like the looks of the GEN three better.

I now have a new blurb for Toyota. 'People who aren't driving a Prius haven't yet driven one.'
    I'm in advertising as a commercial artist, so if you're listening Toyota, I want to percentage :)

I want to thank all of you fellow posters for clarifying a few things for me. The first thing I did is remove the grommet from the charging handle so it goes in easy now.

Then I fixed the foot fatigue/gas pedal problem by putting some tapered foam under my car mat so my foot has something to rest on.

I then addressed the sound dampening problem because I'm used to a Lexus darn it. Years ago I took out the rear wheel interior side panels of my RX and found large empty hollow areas. (I'm an ex drummer, so I know a drum when see one). I just filled those cavities with pillow batting (same thing is in sleeping bags). You can get it at any fabric store. I hope they're easy to get to on our Prius's.

In the meantime I piled on a couple layers of flooring mats. In the rear cargo area, I first put a sleeping bag dense foam sleeping pad (for sound absorbtion) over the existing carpet. Then I found an old Lexus carpet mat for the rear, and it fit nice because it's too wide. Covering up those wheel lumps in the back is a good idea. Anyway, cut the noise down quite a bit.

So sadly I still have a false sense of superiority when looking at most other drivers, but at least now it's for a much better reason.

BTW, my wife's chosen a Prius V as her next car. Should have it by the end of the week.

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about the driver and passenger seats? We find about an hour of driving and we have to get out and walk around a few minutes. Of course that may have something to do with our age :) Many have complained about the seats of the Prius. Do you see a big difference compared to the Lexus?

Regarding the charger plug-in: I've charged almost every day for 4 years and it still works well. Its always in a garage so that my have something to do with it.

3. Coreyart

Coreyart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea the seats aren't great, but I just cut a piece of memory foam from a mattress topper, hot glue some nice fabric around it, and sit on that. Really helps. I even have one one the Lexus, though it's custom made by my wife, and goes up the back as well, hooking through steel grommets into the head rest.
    The real problem I've found is that I personally like a lot of side bolster, so I've custom cut pieces of foam to fit on either side of my legs. It provides nice elbow rests as well. I'll post pics in a while, gotta head out right now...

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a great story. And a great line. I have to remember that: "People who aren't driving a Prius haven't yet driven one."

I look forward to seeing your pictures. Welcome to our world! :D

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome & learn!

jerrymildred likes this.