1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the heck ? My new Prius is silent

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    ....and I love it That back up chime used to drive me crazy ! And the seat belt chimes were the loudest, most agressive I've ever heard on any vehicle !
    But mine either don't work, or were disabled by someone at Toyota ?
    OR, did they finally do away with those annoying things ?
    BTW, I do wear my seatbelt about 98% of the time, exception being, when I'm doing like a nature / bird auto rout ? Gravel roads... 5 or 10 mph... But I don't need my car screaming at me to put it on.

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wow, that's kind of scummy. They turned it off most likely ... so that they can charge you to turn them back on. Usually its the other way around.

3. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It’s actually great Took me a few days to realize it. And then I had to ask my GF if she had heard any backup or seatbelt beeps since I got the 2022, and she said no…
    Honestly though, the backup beep is worthless, but the seatbelt one is kind of okay, doing Rideshare. I wouldn’t really want a lawsuit for a pax going through my windshield. Plus it took me most of the 3 yrs I owned the thing, but I finally discovered that it only goes off for like 2 minutes…. Then stops. Which I could endure to not have to have my seatbelt on, doing super slow, often gravel road photography drives…

4. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I noticed in the 2022 Prime I got last year that the backup beep is gone completely. Now the spaceship sound is just louder when you go in reverse.

I didn't try the seatbelt alarms before I disabled them with my Carista. I always wear my seatbelt but sometimes have something just heavy enough to trigger the sensor in the passenger seat and the alarms go nuts.

I'm surprised your dealership took the time to disable chimes. Priuses are selling before they're even on the boats these days. Did you buy brand new?

5. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right....Idiot. Anyone can turn them off or on with the right app.

I recommend Carista. The chimes are not broken or missing, just disabled. Mine are all off and I did it in my driveway.

6. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Congrats! Now go tell more people so they know how to do it so they don't get charged by the dealership to do it for them!

7. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yep. Brand new. I don’t think they had it on the lot for more than a couple days….

8. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool! Do you have the loud UFO sounds when driving slow or even louder UFO sounds when in reverse? I hate that thing but fixed it in my 2021. (My wife's 2017 doesn't have it, lucky!)

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    According to the Customize Parameters pages in the Repair Manual (more info), the factory default setting for “Reverse Buzzer” was changed for model year 2022 from “Continual” to “Mute,” a new option that replaces “Single.” The “Driver Side Seatbelt Warning Buzzer” is still supposed to be “ON” by default. See also pages 691, 695, and 593 of the Owner’s Manual (PDF).

10. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well, in reverse it has a weird, mechanical / electric sound, almost like a soft scraping, if that makes any sense ? I mean, my 2019 did it too, but I guess I notice it more without the annoying beeping.
    You said "a UFO" sound, and that you fixed it ? How did you go about that ?

11. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I removed the plastic cover in the front of the engine bay, found the UFO speaker and removed it, wrapped it up with pipe insulation, and reinstalled it. (If we just remove it, it will pop a check engine code.) Some reported removing it and inserting a 10 ohm resister to connect the wires but I didn't want to bother with all that....insulation works good!)
    If you search for UFO speaker, there's pictures of the speaker which is right in front of the radiator.....convenient that Toyota engineers made it so easy to get to! :)