1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the Prius c can do under the most ideal conditions on the freeway

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by PriusCinBlack, May 23, 2012.

1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am going to be driving soon from North Carolina to Arkansas and back. I'll be driving my C4, 1100 miles each way, and am interested in seeing how my mpg will be. I am averaging very near 60 mpg now in my daily commutes. I expect though that my trip mpg will be lower than that.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can keep your speed down and glide whenever possible I bet you'll do quite well unless you hit bad weather. Keep us posted and drive safely!

3. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I generally drive right at the speed limit or 5 mph less when I get tired. I will do my best to limit cruise control when climbing hills and mountains. The car only has 1300 mile on it now, so I guess it is not fully broken in and achieving the best mpg it is capable of. I generally run 40/38 psi in my tires, but for the trip I may bump it up to 42/40 although that may not be enough change to really help much. Payload will be light, just me.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry about raising the tire pressure. It's not likely to change much and it's more important to be comfortable and safe on long trips on unfamiliar roads. :)

Turn cruise control off when you come to a large hill. If no one is behind you then allow yourself to lose a little speed going up then gilde down the other side and pick up speed as needed to resume desired cruise speed.

5. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Xringer's Prius C - Page 5 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
    This 'c' did 50 mpg at 70 mph (average speed) for 40 miles.
    The driver said the mphs were slowly going up as he drove.
    From the sound of his post, he wasn't trying to hypermile at all, and he didn't feel that mpg had hit max, before he hit heavy traffic.

My wife and kid don't know what hypermiling is, and their Mother's Day road trip (mostly highway)hit 50 mpg..
    Slower ave speed, since they drove around town (slow) once they got there.. ;)
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/CRV/roadtrip.jpg

So, it will be interesting to hear what you get on the long trip.. I'm gonna guess it's going to be 50 mpg..

6. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Without the wind, I continue to get between 65 and 68 actual (higher indicated) mpg on this drive segment in good weather. I get 58 mpg and above (most recently above 65 mpg indicated, roughly 63 mpg actual) on the trip there.

7. BlackPC2

BlackPC2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I did a 20 mile highway test speed ranging between 60-65-70 I was getting 50 MPG with AC on. I will do a more extensive test this weekend.