1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What tire pressure are you running at?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Prius Maximus, Mar 23, 2012.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why higher pressure in the rear? Most of the weight is on the front.

SCH-I535

2. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good eye. I didn't realize I wrote it backwards; I have 42 in the front.

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Accurate what? Recommended tire pressures are never maximum pressure; and the pressues to use depends on the service to be used.
    Maxiumum pressures are set by the tire manufacturer and recommended by the car manufacturer. Most car recommendations are based on comfort, not performance.

gsmckee likes this.
  4. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Higher rear pressure assists oversteer; when done correctly the handling gets more neutral. Its not that useful however for the C. Reducing understeer is much more useful.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm. What are you trying to argue? I didn't make an incorrect statement. I was pointing out that Max tire pressure is not specific to a car. Instead it is specific to the tire and the Prius c comes with a few different tire options then, now and will in the future.

6. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While it seems the higher tire pressure most certainly improves gas mileage I must wonder about how the increased tire pressure may increase stopping distance, especially in wet conditions?
    I also must be suspect about how handing may be affected by the higher pressures.
    Although anectodal comments are handy and everyone loves to read them only a scientific test can provide this type info.
    It seems to me that Toyota has probably already spent massive amounts of money doing such tests and if these higher pressures could safely improve gas mileage then Toyota would recommend the higher pressures:)
    So to summarize I feel like the factory tire pressure recommendations may not provide the best gas mileage but should provide the best traction available in the various driving conditions that the vehicle may encounter during a typical trip.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the tests I have read, journal papers, the increase in air pressure decreased stopping distance on some surfaces. I can't remember what that surface was but in general the higher the pressure the more it negatively affected stopping distance. Low tire pressure obviously had a negative affect as well. The pressure used in testing were not very high either. I believe they were lower than 40psi.

Very high pressures can also have a negative affect on FE if the surface is very rough and you are traveling at high speeds. You essentially lose traction as the tires skip over small surface irregularities. As low speeds high pressure can have a very positive affect on FE and stopping distance is not as much of a concern.

Roland1555 and robertmaria like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd think Toyota's recommendation for tire pressure balances several variables. They would like the car to perform well in fuel economy tests, obviously. They're also thinking about ride feel, cornering stability, braking and so on.

One thing I'm thinking, raising pressures is going to put more stresses on your suspension, since the tires absorb less of the small road surface variations, instead transmit them up into the shocks and springs.

Also, lower profile tires are less forgiving at higher pressures: I keep our OEM 215/45R17's closer to recommended pressure (though still a bit higher), then our snow tires in 195/65R15.

Bottom line, play with the range between the Toyota recommendation and the max pressure indicated on the tire sidewall, decide what works for you.

robertmaria, xraydoug and F8L like this.
  9. EcoNut1

EcoNut1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    40F and 42R here

10. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    44 on all 4,,, btw go check your spare ~ mine was underinflated,,, and you need to remove it to test it. the valve is on the other side facing the rear tire well. oy vey,,, anyway i put 44 on all 4. i get much better responsive handling.

11. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    36/34. For the better ride. Averaging 60 mpg on 40 mile daily commute in warm weather. 1/2 highway, 1/2 not

12. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    38 all around.

13. turboj91

turboj91 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

14. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I run at the pressures on the door frame placard... basically as I am in full agreement with comments made by F8L and Mendel above.

Roland

15. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    40 front and rear.
    Had to use donut 10 days back and found it was at 40 psi whereas recommend inflation pressure was 60 psi. Had pump but unpleasant to inflate on dusty gravel road in wilderness with passing vehicles. Recommend you carry pump and check donut psi before trip.

Mendel Leisk and robertmaria like this.
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Michelin Defenders
    42F/40R

I normally drive in Eco mode.

Before my last tire rotation (free at Mavis) I decided to check my spare tire pressure. It was only 26 psi, instead of the recommended 60 psi. Yikes!!! I'll be sure to check it more often now... Unfortunately you have to physically remove the spare in order to access the valve stem, a real (well, moderate) pain in the a**.

robertmaria likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I checked our spare soon after purchase, and of course it was at 40 psi.

18. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have good solid, scientific evidence that of whether higher pressures make it more or less likely to have blowouts on rough, potholed gravel roads?
    If no good evidence, does anyone have a good reasoned argument one way or there other?
    If no good reasoned argument, does anyone have completely uninformed, anecdotal, hearsay evidence one way or the other?

In the third category: I had my OEM Avids at 40 psi when one blew out on the Top Of The World highway in the Yukon, but I could also have simply been driving too fast for the conditions.
    I asked the bus drivers in Denali National Park, and they said the tires on their fleet of busses are under inflated by 10 psi from the normal specified pressures to help cope with the rough, gravel road they drive for about 8 hours every day. However, that underinflation may have been for better grip on the gravel and thus to avoid sliding down the mountainside rather than to avoid blowouts--he was not certain.

19. Habnar

Habnar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had mine at 42/40 but for my 50 mile one way commute I was just getting beat up on these California roads. I have to go with comfort on this one, 35/33 does give a better ride.

Mo G likes this.
  20. robert c

robert c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    40/F
    40/R
    Almost 50,000 miles