1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What tires do you guys run?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zero26, Aug 19, 2009.

1. hbark

hbark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got the Hankook Optimo H727 195/60 R15 put on tonight at Sears. Replaced Michelin Hydroedge that had about 50K miles on them. Thought I'd save some $ over the Michelins, plus the Hankooks have a better snow traction rating than the Hydroedge, those things stink in the snow.

2. dkahl

dkahl Band Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Time to get new tires on my beloved Prius. The dealer suggested the Yokohama Avid TRZ. I've searched all over for a recommendation on these (both here and tire rack), and they seem okay. But, I haven't seen anyone give a glowing review of these specifically on a Prius, or mention any effect on MPGs. So, anyone using these that can verify that it would be a decent purchase?

Thanks in advance!

3. Dona

Dona New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told that by the dealer also, and they're running a special, 3 for the price of one. But they don't get a good review for snow and ice on that Consumer Reports chart (thank you NYPRIUS!) so I'm skeptical, although I do know someone who has them.

4. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Last week I had 4 195/55/16 KUMHO Solus KH16 tires put on, replacing the oem Bridgestones on my 07 Touring. The OEM's had about 20K on them and probably I could have gotten another 5K, according to the wear bar indicators. However we are heading to FL. and do not want to worry about tire problems. So far I am happy with the Kumho's after approx. 250 miles including some wet weather driving. I have not noticed any increased road noise,in fact it is possibly slightly less noise. The handling, which is very good on this touring model, is at least as good as the OEM's. I have not noticed any appreciable change in the MPG after approx. 250 miles. The OTD cost of the 4 Kumho's, balanced and mounted at my local tire dealers, was $343.00. I will report back later on this thread on my longer term impressions of these tires.

5. elkhornsun

elkhornsun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 touring with the 16 inch wheels. Costco is insisting on installing only a “V†rated 150 MPH tire on this car and refuses to put on Michelin Hydo Edge as they are a “T†rated 118 MPH tire, even though the load rating for the Hydro Edge is actually greater than for the Michelin Pilot Primacy which is the tire they will install. Anyone else run into this with a tire store?

6. BigRed

BigRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just checked the Toyota Owners Site and searched tires for my 2009 Touring:

Tire size P195/55R16 86V, P185/65R15 86S,​
    T125/70D16 96M (spare)

Perhaps Cosco did the same and were concerned about liability for a lesser speed rated tire.:confused:

8. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been running the Michelin MXV4 now for a few weeks and mileage is almost the same as I was getting with the OEM Integrities. I was averaging 40mpg with the very worn out Integrities and so far it's been 38-40mpg with the MXV4 (42psi front, 40 rear).

9. Melvin

Melvin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am currently using Michellin Energy XM1.
    I think these tyres are great.
    Good fuel Consumption(FC) and moderate grip.
    I do not race my Prius and I kinda drive alittle slower when it rain so, gripping is not a problem for me.
    In Singapore well my FC is averaging at 23.3km/l I am not sure of the conversations to US.
    Hope this helps.

10. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to google:
    23.3 (kilometers / l) = 54.8049979 miles per gallon

1 person likes this.
  11. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (195/60R15) put on just the other day too. Not much time on them yet but so far so good. I chose the MXV4 based on TireRack survey results, with quietness being the key differentiator and tread life expectancy being just barely good enough for me. It was tempting to go with the Hydroedge with GreenX instead, but really wanted the quieter ride. I'll have a highway road trip tomorrow to get a good impression of how much quieter they are over the Integrity.

- D

12. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I recently changed to Hankook Optimo H727 195/60/15. These are Consumer Reports recommended for all seasons, and provided best traction in ICE and SNOW than any other all season.

I have driven these in snow yet, but these are quite comfy and quites tires I have ever used.

13. foystep

foystep New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone tried the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons tire, 205/60R15?

14. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I've had my Michelin Primacy MXV4s on for a few days now, including a 150mi round trip highway jaunt yesterday. I already have buyer's remorse. Don't get me wrong, they are great tires, but I think I could have spent less and been just as happy.

As stated before, I went with the MXV4 over any of the LRR tires recently reviewed by TireRack because TireRack's survey results showed higher scores for these overall, especially with regards to ride and road noise.

They ARE quieter and a nicer ride than the Integrity, but I don't think there is such a HUGE difference. Considering that just about any highly rated tire would be an improvement over the OEM tires, there can't be such a dramatic difference between my MXV4s and the Hankook H727, for example. Except for price of course!

I actually wish I'd gone with the HydroEdge with GreenX. Little bit cheaper than the MXV4, still would have gotten the $70 Michelin rebate and wouldn't have sacrificed on rolling resistance. Plus the GreenX have a much better wear rating (800 vs MXV4s 620). And lets face it, that HydroEdge tread design is just sexy. :D

If you'd like to save a lot of money tho, the Hankook Optimo H727 would be a great choice.

- D

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Put a set of Ecopia EP100s on the 2004 last week.

16. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Got over 35K on the integritys which I was pleased with. I put a set of CostCo Michelin X-Radials on 12K miles ago. They are quiet, smooth riding, good traction, but get 4-6mpg less. We are consistently getting 43-44mpg now vs 48-50 before. I'm disappointed and expect to have these tires for a long time as they are rated at 80K miles.

17. bambi

bambi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't fool with all-seasons. Save yourself a lot of heartache, and buy the best snow tires you can find. Blizzaks are good, IMHO Nokians are best. The Prius computer-controlled traction system won't allow any one wheel to spin like a conventional car, and accomplishes this by shutting down power to all wheels, when that happens. This can be DANGEROUS, if you're trying to beat a semi across a snow covered highway or in some emergency situation. The experience of stepping on the gas, only to have the car bog down on an icy street, is one you can do without, believe me!
    With an excellent set of snow tires, you have nothing to fear. The car plows through anything, like a tank!

18. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please research locating the two new tires.
    There are differing opinions about the best location when only putting 2 new tires on a car. A good arguement can be made for installing them on the rear since you're more likely to feel slippage with less tread on the front and thus react quicker than having less tread on the back and unexpectedly having the rear take off on you.
    Best chioce is all 4 tires at the same time or as soon as possible for safety's sake. ;)

19. 2maples49

2maples49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi All,

If you want to improve the handling of you Prius, try the Goodyear Eagle GT-HR. These are a high performance all season tire. They come in the stock Prius size (185/65-15) so they don't change your speedo nor odometer. I never experienced the Goodyear Integritys. When I bought my 2005 Prius, it was used and had fleet tires. These Eagles are much better. My car has gone from some times scary to inspiring confidence on the freeway and in the twisties. They are not a comfort tire, but they are comfortable for a performance tire. And I don't seem to have taken the MPG hit that the Touring Prius take with their high performance tires. Plus, you get to buy something made in America by an American company that's a great product.

See my lengthy comments in a thread called "Tires, Anyone tried Goodyear Eagle GT HR". (note: one thread is empty due to my error, the other is good).

Thanks, Dan

20. Melvin

Melvin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After running another additional 15,000 km on these new tyres, i think its already run in.
    I have amazingly got an average of 24.2km/l

Oh yes I have change my stock 12v battery too. Changed it a month ago.
    Maybe it helps too.