1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What tires for Touring edition wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by misslexi, May 1, 2008.

1. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I managed to score 4 Touring wheels for my 06 Standard. I use the word scored loosely; I didn't get screwed as bad as I could have.

Anyway, I need some new tires and want to stay with the stock Touring size which is 195-55-R16.

I've only been to Les Schwab so far, they have only one tire in that size which is the Toyo Proxes T1R.

I plan to keep the stock wheels and tires for winter/snow driving.

I'm hoping for tire recommendations, comments about Proxes if any, and about the stock Touring tire which I think is a Bridgestone model.

2. meinbmw

meinbmw New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Take a look at tirerack.com

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look for silica tread compound and high sidewall pressure ratings for lower rolling resistance.

I prefer Michelin.

4. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i have the original bridgestone turanza's with 7000 miles and just rotated them 40F 38R, they still look and feel great...not sure what to expect after more mileage though.

5. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I visited tirerack.com and notice the majority of the tires in this size are RunFlat. The local tire dealer I spoke with bemoaned run flats as a "bad program". He says they actually have to have a dealer send them a mounted replacement wheel and tire as they cannot work on them. This guy has always been a straight shooter but that sounds bizzare to me.

Anyone have experience with RunFlats?

6. bob2780

bob2780 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After a blowout on 3/07, 4 month old 07 touring with only 1900 miles on the Bridgestone’s on a trip from Vegas to LA
    I haves since put over 9000 miles on the new set of Michelin Pilot Primacy tires (the OEM tires for the Prius touring in Japan)
    Finally the MPG on the Primacy is equal or better then the original Bridgestones wear is better too as well as GREAT handling even in rainy weather. It is a summer touring non-run flat LRR Low rolling resistance silica tread compound high pressure up to 51 psi tire. Some say in tire reviews they are noisy so far so-good no issue there their Great Tires!!!

Read My post on Priusonline Checkout the photos on Page2

http://priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10666&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=a18ef3b8209f9c235df45b0e2efc5e27&start=0

Bought then at tire rack Purchased road hazard but also available at Costco included in the price size is the same as OEM tires Runflat add weight lower MPG but they also make a runflat version I don't know if its available in the U. S.
    Hope this Helps

Bob2780

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, here's the TireRack.com comparison chart for all Touring OEM size summer or all season tires that are not run-flats. Not much to choose from. If I were in your situation, I'd consider going with a different, more common size.

Using Cookies

8. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Easier said than done: the wheel size (16") offers very few alternative sizes that keep tire circumference (and speedometer accuracy) close. This is especially true if I try to find a close match which is a more common size.

Here's a handy calculator I found when shopping for tires...

DML Tire and Wheel Calculator

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi misslexi,

Yes. There are definitely tradeoffs (and some gains).

I see some Touring owners have gone to the 205/55/16 size. There are A LOT of tires available in that size. On your standard Prius the 205/55/16 will result in a 1.7% under-read (if your speedometer says 60 mph, you'll be going 61 mph), plus the height of the wheel/tire combo will be slightly greater, and your actual gas mileage may drop a little. However, you should get noticeably better handling.

BTW, I like the Miata Tire Calculator. It's easy to use and read, and gives more information than some calculators.

Tire size calculator

Anyways, good luck.

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Falken Ziex

Great catch ZC1. I had forgotten about the Falken Ziex. The reviews of this tire are very good. It's one of Consumer Reports' highest rated Performance All Seasons. It's also relatively cheap. And it comes in the OEM Touring size of 195/55/16, which will result only in a 0.1% speedo/odo error on the standard Prius. The thread life isn't great though (Consumer Reports rates its thread life below average).

EDIT: Also, here's a thread on the Falken Ziex:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...top-rated-falken-ziex-ze-512-tires-prius.html

EDIT 2: You'll see a lot of stuff on the net saying that the Falken Ziex 912 is the upgraded replacement of the Falken Ziex 512. I had thought that was the case. But on further research, including on the Falken Tire website, they are different tires. So my transference of the Consumer Reports' high rating of the Falken Ziex 512 to the 912 is wrong. The 912 may be better or worse than the 512. I just don't know. I haven't found a single magazine review or professional road test of the 912 yet. But its 40,000 miles thread wear warranty is longer than the 512's 30,000 miles warranty, so it should be better in that regard.

EDIT 3: As it turns out, Falken Ziex ze-912 was Consumer Reports' top rated Ultra High Performance all season tire in its January 2008 tests of Ultra High Performance tires. I don't know about its rolling resistance as compared to the Touring's OEM Bridgestone Turenza El400's, but Consumer Reports rated its rolling resistance as "good". It can be bought at DiscountTire.com in the Touring's OEM 195/55/16 size for $77 each.

12. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great recommendations so far, thanks.

I'm also considering the Nokian H and Nokian WR tires, both available in the 195/55-16 size. These seem popular with the VW TDI crowd. They are quite expensive and not so easy to find around here (Seattle area). Even the tire dealers that don't carry them say they are an excellent tire.

Boo, you are correct re: 205/55-16, way more to choose from. I'm going to hold out to see if I can get a suitable 195 candidate, I think the Falkens' find ensures I can.

13. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    are there any touring owners out there with runflats, im window shopping on tire track and only 25% of the tires in that size are regular tires with the other 75% run flats, the continental contipro contact review sounded good but itis a run flat. and for $122 it looks like pretty good deal

i guess the 87v rating means its only good for 40,000 warranty?

the 40,000 warranty would probably steer me away from it

im at 30,000 - 35,000 miles on the origignal tires and probably going to need to replace them soon

14. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After much angst I decided on the Falken Ziex 912s. $73 each plus $43 to ship all 4.

I'll report back once I have 'em on and vetted.

Thanks again to all.

15. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    rigormortis,

No. The 86V rating for the tire is the Load Index and Speed Rating for the tire.

Some tire Load Index Nos for load carrying capabilities are shown below:

86 = 1,168 lbs/tire at max inflation pressure
    87 = 1,201 ditto
    88 = 1,235 ditto
    89 = 1,279 ditto

Speed Rating letter shows the speed capability of the tire. Some are:

V = 149 mph
    H = 130 mph
    U = 124 mph
    T = 118 mph
    S = 112 mph

Go to tirerack.com and look at their charts for Load and Speed ratings to view all of the ratings.

I agree with Boo and plan on going up in size to 205/55/16 when I replace the stock 195/55/16 Bridgestones on both of my tourings. There are MANY more selections in this tire size than the OEM 195's. I have narrowed my selection choices to three tires:

Goodyear Tripletred
    Goodyear Comfortred
    Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

As of now, I am leaning toward buying the 205/55/16 Michelin Exalto all-season tire when I replace the OEM Touring Bridgestones.

16. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had Michelin Exalto A/S on my 04 Honda Civic Hybrid, 195-60-15 as I recall.

Those tires were extremely noisy on that specific car, even studless snow tires were noticeably quieter. Other than that they were quite good, for me.

Since I spend a fair amount of time on the speaker phone, I would not consider them again just for the noise factor.

That said, I have several fiends who swear by them and will buy no other tire.

17. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think i saw that v series had a 40k warranty
    so i was worried