1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do after replacing 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ilovemymac, Nov 15, 2018.

1. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So after almost 8 years the 12 V battery finally kicked the bucket. So I replaced it however I swear that I read somewhere on here that there were some procedures to do besides the obvious of setting your radio stations and satellite stations.. But now I can’t find what those things are that I need to do. I’ve noticed that it seems like the throttle doesn’t seem to respond as well and I don’t know if that had anything to do with replacing the battery or not also know that my fuel economy is it nearly as good either.

bisco likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it started fine, you are OK. It will take the car a while to learn its optimal trim settings, improving fuel economy.

Pluggo likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You were probably in sport mode before the battery exchange

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put it to POWER mode and smash the pedal.

Car was probably on NORMAL mode entire time and reverted to ECO when new battery was put in.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hold the power window button all the way down, then all the way up, and reset your radio stations

6. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah I reset on my satellite radio stations. And I did the window thing. No I never have it in power mode it was either in normal Laura eco-mode whenever I pulled the battery. So I did run in power mode and punch the gas a little bit.

My trip meter that says how long you can go on a tank. Seems to be saying a lot more miles than I typically ever get out of the tank. So I don’t know if that’s wrong or whether I’m getting better gas mileage than what is being reported

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably factory default with correction coming as you pile up new miles

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Battery disconnect rezero's all the trip meters.

If your window go up with a single touch, they're fine.

If not: run them down, then up holding the button, and continue to hold the button for a couple of seconds after they're up, that should reset them.

Radio presets, obviously. (that's my wife's domain...)

Mmm, that's about it?

The car will maybe do an odd rev-up when you've just started it, for the next one or two starts. I doubt it takes longer than that to re-establish "trim".

I purposely disconnect the 12 volt, any time I'm doing brakes. But apart from that, if you're just swapping batteries and want to avoid memory loss, look into memory savers. I've got a cord I use with a jump pack: one end has cig lighter style plug, the other end an obd plug with just the 12 volt pins. Also has a indicator light, to confirm connection. Hook that up before swapping batteries and nothing is lost.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my package 4, theres a maintenance section deep within the menu were you can enter the miles driven, and reminder intervals for oil change, miles driven on tires, and other useful maintenance stuff. These values will be all gone so write them down before pulling the 12v bat leads or when it's about to go out, reminders will default to factory values.