1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do... Engine problems and 50/50 battery problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Nick086, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Nick086

Nick086 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2006 Prius died a few weeks ago. The battery wouldn't charge above about 2 bars and the battery was making a knocking sound and eventually the battery died and the car shut down and wouldn't do anything after that. We took it do the dealership and they said they could change a battery for $3000. But they didn't change it because they thought it could be a problem with the engine. So they checked it and found a bad timing gear/belt or something. so they fixed it for $600 and found out while they fixed it that the engine was in fact blown and a piston was broke, when the only problems we've had with the engine ever was an oil leak, which we took care of by filling the oil as it leaked. They said it would cost $1,100 for a new engine and about $2,700 for labor and everything else. And that's fine and all but we're not sure if we should spend the $3,000 on engine repairs and risk the main battery being bad or just replace the Prius with a different car all together?

2. Nick086

Nick086 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh and I also forgot to mention that it has about 215,000 miles on it and if we do fix it, then if it will only last a short while or it it will still last a long time and be a good car.

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would find a trusted independent shop for a second opinion. If you state your city there may be suggestions for the area. It may be a candidate for a used replacement from a wrecked car.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the engine cannot produce enough power then the hybrid battery will discharge, so that sounds about right. It doesn't however mean that there's necessarily anything wrong with the battery.

Batteries generally don't make a knocking sound when they fail, but engines do. So again the most likely situation is that the battery is fine and the engine has failed. So I wouldn't call this a 50/50 battery/engine problem. I'd say it's 100% an engine problem.

Post your location and someone might be able to recommend an independent prius mechanic near you that could possibly replace the engine for a better price.

SteveLee likes this.