1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do, traction battery dying?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PM5K, Nov 23, 2020.

1. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    B641E9DF-A37C-4128-A033-2FFC411E9B43.png
    I guess the two most important questions I have is if my battery is dying, and if it might be drivable for a bit longer.

Its a 2007, it has a Dorman reman that I believe is two years old. 174K miles.

Drove it this morning fine, seven hours later I got down the street and I got the red triangle.

I ran some tests with Dr Prius, it had code P3000. On the load testing nine blocks had problems on upper voltage, two had problems on lower voltage. On life expectancy I got 49%.

I cleared the codes and didnt have any issues for the rest of my drive.

Previously the car seemed to run well, my last tank was 53 mpg. Current tank 51 mpg. Those are both by the computer, I no longer hand calculate, I know the computer can often be off 1-2 mpg. Car seems to use the battery, and regen seems to work well too.

The only thing I ever noticed was there is a spot in my drive where the battery is all charged up and I get to a stop light and the engine races for 30-40 seconds. Maybe some sort of over charge?

TIA.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your pack is doing ok but needs reconditioning... Keep an eye on "voltage diff" as that likely is what's going to be triggering your error codes. Hybridautomotive.com sells equipment you can use to charge and balance, but a couple years on a rebuilt Dorman is a pretty good run. Where are you at with Dorman warranty?

SFO likes this.
  3. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Im still reading after posting. Trying to see how I can get the subcodes. 12V battery isnt very old and looks good.

I bought it used with the dorman already in it, I think they might have already been doing 1 year warranties when it was put in, but Im checking on that, they went from 3 to 1 year warranty at some point.