1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do with old battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scottyx, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    G’day

I replaced the HV battery in my 2006 model and Toyota didn’t want my old battery.

I’m in Australia so things might be different here, but I’m curious what people do with their old battery around the world.

I did a google search ( not super thorough) and didn’t see any where I can take it or what I should do with it.

Cheers for your time
    Scott

Priuslover09 likes this.
  2. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sell it on eBay or take it the junkyard.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My buddy in Bend, Oregon who rebuilds hybrid batteries wants to ship his 3 year-warranty pack to Australia and his best price is if he ships the packs 2 at a time and in the context of maintenance which means for every 2 packs sent to Australia, he'll need to have two packs shipped back to him. Can I let him contact you? Your pack could help other Prius owners with packs that are rebuilt via $30K in lab-grade testing equipment. The best rebuilt packs you can get in the $1K range.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or just the dealership? Either way, hopefully they didn't charge you a "core charge", ie: an extra charge, refunded upon return of the old battery?

5. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hey Prius Camper. That would be the best thing if my battery could go to someone and be reused rather than me dropping it off to the metal tip or whatever.

Thanks for letting me know and I will be able to help make it easy to pick up or I drop it to his shipper if not too far.

Good shit. I like things getting resued

6. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    I looked at the reciept and It was what they told me on the phone a couple of times and no mention of a core charge. They told me before I bought it that they didn't want my battery so I knew what I was paying.

I just don't want to throw this out if there can be a better way to get it out of my garage.

If this dude can't use it, maybe Toyota know where to send it. I didn't even think of that. Thanks mate.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It should be able to be recycled, I would think. That is why, in the US the seller is required to take the old one to be recycled, I believe. The core charge is to discourage you from not doing that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota Australia’s Hybrid HV Battery Recycling Program page says all Toyota dealers in Australia should be able to accept the old battery and give you a $100 (AUD) cash rebate or a $500 (AUD) discount on a new battery. It’s not clear to me whether the discount applies if you buy a new battery and then return later with the old battery, but the rebate should still be available. Perhaps your dealer wasn’t aware of the program.

Graeme1949 likes this.
  9. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Originally when I was just enquiring on the price the spare parts bloke said they would give me $500 for my battery.

I rang back a couple of weeks later to confirm the price with spare parts and then asked to be transferred to the service department to ask about installation cost. I thought if they didn’t charge too much to install, it would be a good way to get my $500 back because they would take it off the price before I paid the bill. He told me the labor charge and asked the year model. He then said that’s too old and we don’t want the old battery.

So I just put it in myself and now I need to get rid of the old one. I don’t want any money for it I just don’t want to do the wrong thing with it.

10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    They may not want it, but Toyota Australia says they’re supposed to accept it for recycling, at Toyota’s expense, and give you $100.

If your plans with @PriusCamper don’t work out, I expect a call to Toyota General Enquiries (1800 869 692) would make sure the dealer gets another copy of the memo. Automakers take their battery recycling programs seriously, since they don’t want stricter legislation in this area.

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. Scottyx

Scottyx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Cheers for the info mate.

Yeah if it doesn't work out with Prius Camper in the next 2 or 3 months maybe I'll gift it to Toyota. The spare part dude looks after me so I get trade discount on stuff (not the HV battery though) like 12V batteries, brake pads, oil and fuel filters so I"m not fussed by a refund.

But if they recon they don't want it no mater what, I'll call that number for sure and stir them up

Elektroingenieur likes this.