1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do with old traction battery after I replace with lithium packs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by muddy123, Jun 2, 2022.

1. muddy123

muddy123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I just bought/received a lithium pack for my 2008 Prius (projectlithium/NexPower). I am going to do the install within a week or so. What is the best way to handle the old batteries? I have a metal recycler locally that I'm guessing would give me a couple of bucks for them (I have sold them other batteries before). But I'd imagine I'd get more $$ returning them to a vendor that refurbishes Prius battery packs. However, I'm not aware of any such vendor close to me. Are there any vendors that buy old packs if you haven't bought from them? Do they offer shipping to their location?

Trying to avoid having a battery sitting around the house for longer than necessary.

I'm located in Virginia, USA, FWIW.

Jamez P likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think some sell them on ebay, or at least the good modules

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got good news for you @muddy123 --- > A couple weeks back I helped work out a old core buy back deal between Project Lithium and my buddy Joe in Bend, Oregon who teaches hybrid and EVtechnology at his local college. He has a NiMh rebuilding business and has spent tens of thousands of dollars on high-end lab grade equipment to ensure his 3 year warranties on rebuilds are viable.

And you can get paid up to $200 minus the cost of shipping if you box up your old modules in the boxes your lithium pack came in and contact Joe for a shipping label: https://2ndlifebattery.com/contact-us/

Joe has been a great help to many of us on PriusChat when we need a spare module or two. Always high quality modules from him, never bad ones!

And if anyone is interested in buying a project Lithium pack there about 2 weeks supply left for sale until next Fall. And if you use my affiliate link I'll offer you free tech support and discount on install if you live near me: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. Jamez P

Jamez P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Find a shop that remans battery packs and you'll even make some money on them.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base