1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to look for when buying a V?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ToyXW, May 1, 2022.

1. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Kind of last minute, but I got a lead on a cosmetically super clean 2013 V with >200k miles in the boonies selling for ~$5,000 less than dinged-up 150k mile V's in the city. Original owner used the car to commute 100 miles (each way) twice a week which seems to explain the mileage/cosmetic condition disparity.

They claim nothing is wrong and just didn't like the trade-in offer when buying their new Sienna Hybrid. From the photos, it appears the engine coolant & tank is a bit discolored - especially compared to the inverter coolant/tank so I suspect a HG issue past or present.

I am aware the brake booster/actuator is out of the extended warranty and is a potential timebomb. At this price, I'd be willing to accept replacing the engine with gen4 & eating the brake booster in short order, but I'm also reading the V often has inverter problems. How much is this and how durable is the replacement?

Currently I drive 25-30k/year with my 2010 prius and ~10k/year with my tundra and I'd be looking to use the V to replace both. Total annual gas consumption would probably be a wash, but I'd save ~$900/year on registration & insurance which is why I'm a bit more willing to accept some potential large repair bills down the road. Still, I'd prefer to avoid them if I can.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can count on the head gasket and brake booster in short order. A v gets significantly less mpg than your hatchback primarily due to gearing. They probably used block sealer once the hg rattling started. Most likely its an oil burner as well. The inverter is still covered for quite awhile. 15 years. So no worry there except it is the one item that will unexpectedly strand you. Of course the hv battery is another short term expense.

Sell the Tundra for good money now and keep your known good Prius. Its a sure way to save and accumulate money. The gen3 design flaws are more than repairs, they make the vehicles unreliable at high miles. It is the bad rings (changed mid 2014) that burn oil, create excessive blowby and clog egrs. Often leading to unrepairable engines with holes in the blocks once the cylinder walls are scored or the engine is damaged from a loss of coolant. Frequent 5k oil changes help but only when done from the beginning.

#2 rjparker, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  3. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I figure the V will save me ~150 gallons of gas a year. The 2010 Prius uses about 600 gallons getting ~50mpg for 30,000 miles and the Tundra uses almost as much - 500 gallons - getting ~20mpg for 10,000 miles. And 20 mpg is really good for a Tundra! So instead of a combined 1100 gallons of gas, the V should use about 950 gallons getting ~42 mpg for 40,000 miles. At today's $5/gallon, that's $750/year saved on top of the extra ~$400 insurance and ~$450 registration. $1,600 saved leaves plenty of room to rent a uhaul once or twice a year in the rare event I need to haul something too big/heavy/dirty for the V (or just paying the delivery fee for gravel or bark or whatnot).

Sadly - or perhaps fortunately - I passed on this particular V. The seller is an excellent photographer - truly exceptional. Having seen it first hand, I can go back and scrutinize the photos he posted and kind of see the many, many cosmetic flaws, but he use the perfect angles and lighting - almost to the point of optical illusions. I'd be quite irritated at the wasted afternoon if his skills weren't so impressive.

Too bad my 2010 isn't rated to tow anything. A 5x8 single axle trailer would probably work even better for me than the V...

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Fortunately is the word. I might buy a 100k mile 2015 v wagon if the price was good. The pistons and rings are updated and the inverter and brake booster flaws are still covered. The brake booster problem was fixed by the 2016-17 v wagons which makes the last two years of the v the best gen3s from a reliability standpoint. The v's do ride better and have enhanced ac to go along with their improved cargo size. But they are not rated for towing even though some have installed a receiver hitch on the hatchbacks and the wagon.

3F949C24-0348-4563-B13D-DE70295E29CB.jpeg

E245A2E5-F8A0-4D0F-9D70-476C91676E96.png

#4 rjparker, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  5. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The price of 2015-2017s are insane here (one low mileage 2017 is priced over $30,000!). If I wanted to spend that kind of money, I'd order a Rav4 hybrid instead. Yeah, I'd have to wait 6 months for the pleasure of paying MRSP (without mandatory dealership add-ons or mark-ups) and give up 3mpg to the V, but I'd get a brand new vehicle, AWD, more ground clearance, and a modest tow rating...

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    NO!.......................................................NO................................!

I can guarantee you will be very sorry if you purchase the car.............just the rite miles for everything to go wrong.
    Traction Battery
    Regen Braking System
    Head gasket
    Burning oil
    Inverter and pump
    Water Pump

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tim, what's with the XLE AWD-e Prius v of yours, rare model lol?