1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What TPMS sensor for 3rd Gen Prius (2012 in my case)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreimontreal, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have working Techstream, then no, you do not need TS501/508. In fact, if you can find out the OEM TPMS IDs using Techstream or any other OBDII app or just go to the nearest tire shop to ask for the scanner, then if you can just clone the IDs using Autel Pad to program the Autel MX sensors, then you will not even need to re-register the TPMS IDs. But, if that is what you are going to do, why don't you just have a tire shop program and clone the TPMS sensors for you. You need to go to a shop to have tires and rims mounted anyway. Most tire shops will do the TPMS service free (or included in the mount and balance fees). You just have to make sure that TPMS sensors they install are "clonable" like Autel MX sensor.

TS501/508 becomes handy tool, if and when you have multiple cars you need to swap tires that are different ID's. I have three Japanese cars all using OBDII relearn for TPMS.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll second what @Salamander_King said above: if you have techstream, you are set:).

I use a scangauge II for viewing my tire pressures, and that works well;).

@SFO will stop by at some point and have an updated Techstream in an old laptop for me. But we need to get through COVID:whistle:.

The beauty of Techstream is you can change the sensor ID's as needed when you need to(y).

andreimontreal likes this.
  3. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because I'm a control DYI freak, because the apocalypse might be coming - but more realistically because I have family and friend and because it's cheaper to do it my self AND I have control over the product. And in 5-10 years when they crap out I can order another pair and change it my self; the wheel should be balanced already, I can only hope the car will last if not the wheels will be good on the next car. Etc etc etc.

Broadly speaking I found nothing but rewards from DYI. It frees my self - it allows me to say things like "let's tear this wall down, I'll build it my self back if needed - with a spoon, in 15 minutes and I'll make it look like new; no worries".

Salamander_King likes this.