1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What type maintenance at 60k mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by irfanlai, Dec 4, 2018.

1. irfanlai

irfanlai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I bought this 2012 Prius in August with 56k miles. Last week I crossed 60K miles and dashboard started showing 'MAINTENANCE REQUIRED'. When I went to a Toyota dealership they showed me 2 service packages. The guy said every 30K Toyota recommends for a major maintenance.

I am not sure on the packages. Do I really need to do this?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't do it!

follow the maintenance schedule that came with your car

60k = tire rotate, oil and filter, air and cabin filter, brake inspection and caliper slide pin lube

Bay Stater, NutzAboutBolts and Threej like this.
  3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like bisco said, that’s all you need, all those other things are just fancy words to make it seems like it’s important but it’s not. Also, the Prius has no power steering fluid, you only need alignment if it’s drifting to one side when driving, throttle body cleaning is pretty easy and straight forward, no need tire balance unless your tires some how damaged from hitting a curb or the weights fell out. Most of those services you can do yourself and not required at 60k miles. Save that money!

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    somewhere between 60 and 100k, clean the egr circuit, and consider changing the tranny fluid

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the basic one for $299 is a pretty good deal, covers what Toyota's actually telling you to do (in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet*), plus a little BS, which is harmless, hopefully. As long as their "full brake inspection" is on the level, that's actually a good deal.

I especially like the "Complementary World-Class Multi-Point Inspection" lol.

My recommendation regarding engine/cabin filters would be to only inspect, replace IF warranted, but for $299 all in, hey.

Also, would second transaxle fluid change. My 2 cents, it's better to do this sooner than later: an earlyish fluid change is beneficial I suspect. That shouldn't cost more than $80.

Also consider a brake fluid change.

For both of the above, see @NutzAboutBolts videos if you're considering DIY. Or just for curiosity, so you know what's involved. They're pinned at top of 3rd gen Maintenance forum.

* You should have Warranty and Maintenance Booklet, comes with every new car, and if it's missing, you can download from Toyota Tech Info, the "Manuals" tab. It outlines service-by-service what Toyota recommends. Only thing, it's really hard, actually impossible, to see the intervals/patterns from this. I've tried to translate it:

upload_2018-12-5_13-58-57.png

Addendum: I don't necessarily subscribe to the above. Mostly I do, but there are some things I disagree with, the need to slavishly slam in fresh air filters at those intervals for example: it depends a lot on your environment. Also some vital maintenance is omitted imho. All I'm trying to do is summarize what's in the booklet.

Attached Files:

#5 Mendel Leisk, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Bay Stater and NutzAboutBolts like this.