1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What type of iPod interface do I have in my 2008 Prius Touring?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mr. Style, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Style

Mr. Style New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    i have a 2008 Prius Touring model. I bought it used at a used car lot, so I don't know the original owner or setup. Original Toyota dealer was in Mesa, AZ.

It has the GPS Map/Bluetooth/Backup camera/Satellite JBL? radio built in with the 6-disc CD player built in. It also has a 30-pin Apple iPod cable in the glove compartment that snakes into the back of the head unit someplace.
    When I turn on the car, I do not get a message requiring me to accept driving directions or anything. So my thoughts are that someone installed a lockpick or something similar to that in the vehicle.

If I put it on Satellite, I get one channel with a partial serial number and channel 184(?) which is a trial station with ads between the music asking you to sign up. When they have a free Sirius week, then all the channels work (like 80's on channel 8).

To use the iPod input, I select the AM-SAT button until it says SAT, then I turn the tune knob from SAT1, SAT2, SAT3, to IPOD. I can use the steering wheel controls to change songs. I can also see the song name (Maybe the first 8-10 characters) and artist on the audio screen too.
    before I tear my dash apart to see what is in the back, I thought I would ask you about what you think is installed.
    any idea what the unit in the back is or does? was this something special or just stock with the Touring model? being that the ipod cable is just laying in the glove compartment, I thought it had to be aftermarket.

The reason that I am asking is that I want to replace the 30-pin cable with the newer Apple LIghtning 8-pin cable that is used on iPhone 5/6 models. I tried a 30-pin to 8-pin adapter ($11 from Amazon) that was supposed to work, but it would only charge the phone not play audio. It gave me a NO IPOD CONNECTED message on the MFD when connected. If the mystery box in the back has a USB connector, then I would just install my spare lightning cable into it and be done.

I could play music through the aux jack in the center console, but I like the steering controls and the charging capability so I would like to keep that. If there is a special adapter/cable model for the 30-8pin that you know works for audio and charging and steering controls, let me know the part number and where to order it.

any help or best guesses would be appreciated. If there is a way to see the back of the head unit through the glove compartment or some easy way without ripping everything apart, let me know. I can probably slide a camera phone back there with the video and LED on if I know what to look for.

Thanks in advance!

Update: upon further review of other threads, I think its a USA Spec iPod interface called the PA20TOY. I found the user manual on Crutchfield and it matches how the controls work. Crutchfield sells a little adapter for it Item #: 472LTN230P

Leaving this post up in case it helps anyone else.

#1 Mr. Style, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. 2ndGenPrius

2ndGenPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe you need Apple's 30 pin to lightning adapter. The 30 pin connector has analog audio signal and The lightning connector has digital audio signal. So cheap adapters do not work properly because they lack the digital to analog converter that Apple's adapter have.

3. Mr. Style

Mr. Style New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, that is what I did. I connected the adapter and I now can play songs from my iPhone 6S Plus thru the car. However, the playlist and changing songs functions don't really work. basically I just get volume up and down and it keeps my phone charged which is helpful for GPS use and listening to podcasts.