1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Type Oil Is In The Engine Of New Plug-In?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by John6012, Aug 30, 2018.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The manual says take the car in to the dealer for a 10,000 oil change but if it is standard motor oil, it should be changed at 5,000 to synthetic in my view. The dealer didn't advise me of the oil type so I have to assume it's the cheapest so it'd be 10W40W oil-am I right? The maintenance service is at no cost (Ha!) up to 24,000 miles...

douglasjre likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like you need to spend some time in your owners manual.

Starship16 likes this.
  3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You don't know either?

4. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    He just wants you to open the manual to look again because you're way off.

padroo, Raytheeagle and fuzzy1 like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He doesn't have a Prime, so wouldn't know for certain if it is different than his non-Prime. But it sounds that, like me, he has looked at the actual Owners Manual page that calls out the oil spec for his particular car model and year. That is much more reliable and definitive than what some random dealership employee says.

padroo likes this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As far as I know, Toyota hasn’t disclosed the specific characteristics of the oil with which their engines are filled during production, but for 2018 Prius Prime cars sold in the U.S., it’s reasonable to assume that it’s an SAE 0W-20 oil. This is the viscosity identified in the emissions certification application (PDF) to the U.S. EPA, and the cars must be in the certified configuration when first sold.

The definitive statement of Toyota’s maintenance recommendations for these cars is in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide (PDF), which says on page 40 that the first engine oil change should be at 10,000 miles or 12 months, unless any of the listed Special Operating Conditions applies, in which case the first oil change should be at 5,000 miles or 6 months.

The note “If 0W-20 oil WAS NOT used at the last oil change, replace engine oil and oil filter” appears the Guide, but only for the service at 15,000 miles or 18 months and thereafter, confirming that the original oil is not a consideration for determining the mileage or time for the first oil change.

The oil grade and viscosity requirements are in the Owner’s Manual (PDF) on pages 716–717. They’re the same as those for the fourth-generation liftback Prius, which I’ve discussed before. This shouldn’t be a surprise, since the engines are the same.

Mendel Leisk, FuelMiser and padroo like this.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota uses full synthetic oil it sources from Mobil 1

padroo and Starship16 like this.
  8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It says 0W-20 right on your oil cap. And all 0W-20 is synthetic. The dealer knows that, and puts in the right stuff. The Toyota brand bulk oil they use is fine. Here in CA, some dealers might use Mobil 1, or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20.

5,000 or 10,000, it's up to you. The dealer didn't charge me when I took mine in for the first time. I had a little over 5,000 miles on the odometer, maybe 5500. Don't overthink it (like most of us do). Just drive it. :)

#8 Starship16, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Arctic_White and padroo like this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am not normally the one to come off as a wise guy but the owners manual is always a good place to start on any fluid for any vehicle.
    I don't own a Prime but the answer is still in the owners manual and as Starship 16 mentioned it is on the oil cap. All the owners manuals for any Prius can be downloaded from the Toyota website and I like it better than the paper novel they give you with the car.
    Every now and then something is said on this forum that raises the hair on the back of your neck because of the way it is posted, I apologize if I upset you.

Starship16 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Very very likely to be the same Toyota OW20 you can get at the dealership. That's all I've ever put in ours. Haven't a clue, but I've read it's a good oil.

For the last 2~3 years I've been buying it in bulk: cheaper, and I'm not putting oil contaminated bottles in the recycle stream.

I just slam in 4.2 fresh liters every spring and fall.

Starship16 and RRxing like this.
  11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The NEW Sam Spade??? :ROFLMAO: ;)

padroo likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dutch Uncle? :whistle:

Raytheeagle, padroo and Starship16 like this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Apologies to john. I was off topic.
    If unsure, sir, just go by what it says in the owner's manual-- maintenance schedule. Your Prius came with 0W-20 synthetic oil in the engine. Some guys deviate and change it every 5,000, and some go the full 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Enjoy that Prime.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: the maintenance schedule is the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. The smaller booklet.

I should maybe cobble up a table format translation, like I did with 3rd and second gen: a chart with miles/months across the top, and maintenance items down the side.

Starship16 likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I opened 3rd and 4th gen US maintenance booklet, superimposed, and toggled back-and-forth: they are identical. So here is the third gen one I did, jpg, pdf and excel versions attached:
    2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (US).jpg
    My 2 cents, lot of the stuff in the above you can "mail in". Do NOT cut corners on the brake maintenance though, the one at 30K miles and so on. And, the filter "changes" I would read as "inspect and change as needed". And the "inspect transaxle fluid": change "inspect" to "change" and it's starting to be a decent schedule. :)

Again, very cool that you can now upload multiple documents to the site in one operation, kudos!

Attached Files:

#15 Mendel Leisk, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Arctic_White and Starship16 like this.
  16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Great chart. Thank you sir.
    I think you guys have sold me on getting the transaxle fluid changed much sooner. It certainly can't hurt. And when to change the "life-long" coolant? And inverter fluid? 100K seems too long.

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you notice the chart it just says inspect the transmission fluid and doesn't mention changing it.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I commented in my last posting, about changing the (official) "inspect" to "change".

19. Leodajeep

Leodajeep New Member

SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Sounds odd but the Prius Prime takes 0w16 weight oil. The manual states that if you must use 0w20 that it must be changed back to 0w16 at the next change. Kind of sounds like the Toy company wants a monopoly on oil changes and sales.

20. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For Prius Prime cars built for sale in the U.S., that applies from model year 2020. For earlier models, the specified engine oil is ILSAC GF-5, SAE 0W-20.
    I doubt that had anything to do with the choice of engine oil viscosity. SAE 0W-16 is relatively new in the U.S., but it’s been widely available for many years in Japan, where it’s the specified oil for all fourth-generation Prius cars, starting from the full model change in 2015.

Indeed, I wonder if Toyota waited to change the specification for U.S. models until there were at least a few third-party, SAE 0W-16 engine oils listed in API’s EOLCS directory as meeting the API SN/RC (Resource Conserving) standard specified by Toyota. Today, this includes products from Pennzoil, Phillips 66, and Total.

drash and Mendel Leisk like this.