1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what type screws for mounting brackets and speakers?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by G Man v5, Apr 2, 2015.

1. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drilled out the factory rivets with no problem. I purchased the plastic mounting brackets but wonder what type of screws should be used? Sheet metal? Anything special needed?

Thanks.

2. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    I use the stainless steel screw with locking washer. Since you have it removed. Install damping materials. It will sound much better. Which speakers are you thinking of replacing?

3. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased 20 sq ft of dynamat stuff....Going to do all four doors....should have plenty left for other areas....

I'm doing the front doors with some JBL 6x9 GTO series or something......Doubt that I will do the rear doors and that is mostly "fill"...Should I replace the dash speakers??

Having the "GreenEdge" Premium system was a bit surprised to see paper cones in a "premium" system. But the amp is pretty clean, so can only imagine it will be better.

Added a Kicker under seat sub will really helps as well...

4. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    I went w/JBL 6x9 3 way and JBL 2 way in the rear. I then add JL 8" sub w/JL AMP using stock factory deck. You want to look stock so people don't break in car. I have limo tint so it hard for them to see inside the car.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your best option would be a rivet nut that installs the same way as the rivets you drilled out. In most countries the M5 size would be best for your application.

In the US, the equivalent size is 10-24, although 8-32 would do just fine, because the current hole needs not be enlarged much at all.

The least expensive tool and inserts are available at your local Northern Tools store.

Surebonder Threaded Insert Tool | Fastening Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment