1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What was your first car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Paid $40 for the first car I bought, a 1941 Mercury.

Later drove mostly Pontiacs, Corvairs, Oldsmobiles, Saabs, and Audis.

Never cottoned much to Japanese cars. Right now though it looks like Toyota is leading the way toward the viable future. Hopefully other manufacturers will catch up. But for now, for those who are really interested in playing a direct role on protecting the earth's environment as well as its resources, from a practical and desirable car perspective, Prius is about it.

2. paulisme

paulisme New Member

My first car was a 1990 Buick Park Avenue. The thing I remember about it the most is that on our first date, my girlfriend (now my wife) and I were driving in the rain and my brakes started giving out. After we went straight through a red light because my brakes didn't work, I decided to take her home early. Guess it all worked out in the end, though. :)

3. DicksieLee

DicksieLee New Member

A 1972 Pontiac Firebird, sprigmint green. If memory serves me correctly, I got it new for $ 3000 and change.

4. mossypete

mossypete New Member

My first car was a 66 Volvo 122S 4dr 4speed with 120K on the clock. I bought it from my brother in 1977 for $200.00 and haven't quite paid him
    yet. It was a great car for a college student - reliable and industructable. I learned most of my automotive skills on that car - open the hood and there were only 10 or so wires in sight - battery, starter relay, coil leads to power and points and ignition wires - a far cry form what you see today.
    I changed the clutch once and was so excited when I buttoned it back up that I forgot to put water back in the cooling system - after about five miles when I went through a puddle and steam started rising from the floorboards - I remembered. I shut it down - coasted to a stop and let it cool for 2 hours certain that I had cooked the engine. After it was cool to the touch I filled it up with antifreeze and water and drove it another 50000 miles, no maintainence needed.

I still feel nostalgia when I see one. I like my prius (Silver #7 in Berkeley CA where there are at least 3 other silver ones in my neighborhood) but I loved my first Volvo (2 other ones followed)

Pete Moss
    Berkeley, CA

5. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.plusaf.com/myvette.htm

really!
    living with my folks, 1968, making $9k a year, having dreamed of 'vettes since the '63 split-window coupe.
    ordered this one in about 12/68, GM promptly went on strike, and the St. Louis plant (the only one that made corvettes back then) was the last to settle... some time in 8/69.
    total price, with taxes ($155) and options (about $600) was $5774.20, less deposit and a discount (!!!!!!) for having waited so long... was $5000 even, out the door.
    between ordering and delivery, i'd banked enough money to pay cash.
    still have the original bill of sale....
    :)

6. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Mine was a 1976 Ford Granada with a 3-speed manual stick coming out of the floor that looked like something a bus driver would fight with... The thing drank oil more than gas, so I kept a case in the trunk and just topped it off all the time. I didn't get to park in many driveways... You could always hear me coming down the street. PING! PING! PING!

I wanted the Pontiac Sunbird, but my mother thought I needed as much metal around me as possible...

7. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

in 1973 i got a 1964 volvo 122S with the B18 engine, and 120,000 miles on it.

it was a great car until a firebird decided to drive into my back seat

8. mastersgtbob

mastersgtbob New Member

I bought my first car, right after graduating from High School (1967), it was a 1964 Rambler (Classic). White exterior and red interior. Automatic, was a six cyclinder, and got decent gas mileage. Had it from August 1967 until August 1969. Paid $1100, cash. Only reason I stopped using it, was because of hurricane Camille. It was flooded, the motor was totaled, rusted every inch of the motor.
    Bob................ :roll: