1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What was your most expensive Prius repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jstanle12001, Mar 6, 2009.

1. jstanle12001

jstanle12001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am a newbie Prius owner who just purchased a 2007 with 52,000 miles. My bank is offering an extended bumper to bumper warranty fo 48 months or 48,000 miles for $2090! I think that is outrageous and I am considering putting aside $2000 in a car repair account. So I was wondering what some of the bigger repairs might cost and if you think this is a good idea vs. buying extended warranty.

TIA:)

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I suppose if you grenaded the PSD off warranty, that could be a $4,000 touch. Ditto if you jump start the Prius using wrong polarity and fry the inverter.

Otherwise, I see little need for an extended warranty. Not sure if an extended warranty would cover an improper jump start anyway

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anecdotes are not statistically valid. Judging from Consumer Reports' data, unless a Prius has been in an accident an extended warranty is a waste of money. Your plan to bank that amount is an excellent alternative: you'll earn interest, and you'll probably never have to touch it.

1 person likes this.
  4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely the "extended warranty" from a bank wouldn't cover a hybrid. They are pretty generic insurance policies.

As for the most expensive repairs, I had to replace tires once on my 2004.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See signature
    I spent $25 to repair the display screen!! Very disappointing.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tires were expensive, but that was more planned maintenance than unexpected repair. It cost me over $400 to have two plugs and two coils replaced when water leaked into the engine compartment and rusted them out. No warranty for that, even thought there was a TSB issued.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife just spent $1,700 repairing an anti-lock brake sensor. Before that, she spent a few hundred on a transaxle something or another. Her steering is "gravelly" and there's an unidentifiable squeaking coming from the pillar behind the back-passenger's left ear. All in all, it has not been a good year for her 2003 Buick.

My 2004 Prius has been four years trouble free!

1 person likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Other that tire replacements, my largest ever bill was $344.12. 60k mile service on 2001 Prius including coolant replacements, spark plug pull& inspect, and fuel/induction system cleaning. At about 80k I had suspension alignment and transaxle fluid change/pan drop for $247.30. After those I did more DIY.

Steering rack replacement, TSB EG011-03 and a rear wheel bearing assembly were done under warranty.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I paid to patch a tire a couple years ago.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than tires I've spent in the $475 range for a new inverter coolant pump at over 101k miles (read - outside of any applicable warranty), and then at 110k miles I put another $800 or so into new shocks/struts (normal wear item @ this age). Overall, the car has otherwise been very reliable.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    about a grand for struts.

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    As can be seen from the previous replies, a Prius is generally a reliable car (my 2004 is at 142,500 miles). In two cases I would have been hit by an unnecessary high expense if I listened to the dealer:
    - AC freon leak (dealer wanted $1200 for a new condenser), but a chemical and a Freon charge fixed it with no further troubles for $75
    - Brake chirp (in a TSB, the dealer wanted $550 for a full front brake job), but bleeding the right front brake fixed it for $29.95. (I still have not had to do a brake job)

Other than wear items that can be expensive in any car, most expensive repairs can be done for significantly lower cost if you are willing to use parts salvaged from low mileage wrecked Prii.

JeffD

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    As a couple here have reported the $1000 vicinity for shockes and struts, and as they will eventually need replacing on all Prius, I'd like to discuss the options. or should this have a new thread?

My questions are as follows:

There are full sets of KYB offered on ebay and presumably elsewhere for about $280. Are these inferior to the Toyota originals? (As I recall Galaxee has said so).

What does Toyota charge for their version? (which I guess are also KYB)

Do indie shops charge significantly less than Toyota for installation? I know of no 'hybrid issues' related to this R&R.

My intent is to have a good set of options outlined at PriusChat for when a larger number of Prius need to be 're-suspended'.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Onya tony, ya bugga! ya got me.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Doug,

When the time comes for me to replace the front struts on my 2004, I plan to buy Toyota-brand parts which indeed are manufactured by KYB. I had previously replaced the rear shocks at 30K miles.

The front struts are $99 each ($131 MSRP) and the rear shocks are $45 each ($60 MSRP) at Champion Toyota - Houston, plus shipping.

In response to the OP, the single most expensive non-warranted repair on my 2001 was to replace the struts/shocks, which cost around $400 including worn rubber parts, plus my labor time. The 12V battery cost around $200 including a new battery bracket to fit a larger size battery. A few sets of tires, this is normal. Several warranted repairs, no need to go into them now.

On my 2004, I've replaced the rear shocks so far at a cost of around $100 plus my labor time, plus miscellaneous parts like the PCV valve, maintenance items like filters, oil changes, wiper rubber refills, etc., and a few sets of tires. MFD was replaced under warranty.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent a half-hour drilling a hole and installing a screw to fix the glove box closer attach point. It had just gone out of warranty and I didn't want to spend $200 to have the dealer replace the whole box.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I considered the KYB option, however due to being a VSC equipped car, I didn't want to entrust whether a 3rd party shop had a scan tool or not to reset the VSC centerline as part of the alignment. On a non-VSC equipped car, I would have avoided the dealer entirely.

18. The Banks

The Banks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    About $500 for the four Michelin Hydro Edge tires from Costco. I do all major mechanical work myself (except for oil changes because I usually get great coupons from the dealership which pretty much covers the cost of parts) Just went in today to get the oil changed for $15 and I'm at about the 100,000 mile mark and it is crazy at what the dealer wants for maintenance. $200 for a serpentine belt when I can get a Goodyear Poly-V for $20 and change it in 5 minutes, $150 for spark plugs when I can get all four for under $30 and change them in about 45 min to 1 hr... it pays to be mechanically inclined :)

19. mfurlan

mfurlan New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $1,000 to fix a 2005 with 77,000 miles that stalled due to "bad gas".

This is about double what it should have cost, but I had the car towed to the nearest dealer.

Find a good mechanic that you trust before your car has a problem.

Don't do what I did.

20. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About $550 to replace a failed HID headlight bulb; $100 to replace the AC condenser when a rock took it out. That is it aside from regular maintenance, tires, and modifications I did because I wanted to for fun. Essentially, having 115K on my car, it is the most maintenance free car I have ever owned. I will replace it with another loaded Prius when the time comes. I have owned over 30 new cars of all types; even some American made cars, but not many. Mostly european and Japanese which I find to be better made and more reliable.

(sorry US auto manufacturers; but you lost my business years ago after ripping me off repeatedly on bad cars which the manufacturers failed to stand behind.:()