1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What was your previous car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Much More Better, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally convinced my wife to part with her 2002 Saturn SC-2, and told her if we got a new Prius, she could drive my 2008 Toyota Yaris. :hug:

2. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to drive a 1999 Toyota Corolla LE with 198,000 miles on it. Still runs well. My wife convinced me it was about time, and we both thought the newest generation of hybrid might be cool and (eventually) maybe even save money.
    She kept her 2003 Subaru Forester with only 150,000 miles on it. I think she might be waiting for the reported 2012 RAV4 hybrid.

3. KathrynJ

KathrynJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My previous car was an Isuzu Trooper. Loved it because I have dogs and like to hike and camp in the mountains, but it's a gas guzzler and I felt guilty driving it because it pollutes the air BADLY! lol! I wanted to feel good about creating less pollutants, get better gas mileage, AND the Prius is fun! Doesn't do so well driving UP the mountain...but thats ok. I love the Prius :)

4. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I had, as a daily driver, a 2004 Ford Thunderbird in Vintage Mint Green, which I liked so much that I can't bear to sell it. It is covered up, with a battery tender waiting for the weather to moderate so I can drive around topless.

It was (and is) a great car. I could expect 24-28 mpg at moderate highway speeds, it has great power, and I had it just the way I liked it. I got Borla exhaust for it, two hard tops so I could switch them around as the mood struck me and people were always smiling at me as I drove by. They only made about 600 in this color combination and I never saw myself coming and going, but as a daily driver, I was putting a lot of miles on it so I decided to park it for a while and only use it when I felt like cruising and didn't mind 14mpg around town. Premium at that!

I went with the Prius because I liked the technical aspect of it. I almost didn't because of the Hollywood types that tried to make me feel inferior because they are so virtuous, so smart and so moral. I love the car and I think as gas prices rise, I will love it even more. I have always believed that there was a market for a small, economical but luxurious car.

My dog, Henry loves the back area as he can see out in several directions and he doesn't slide around on the leather seats.

5. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Come from '95 Integra GSR with 350k commuting miles getting 30-33mpg. I hope Honda get it right with next gen cr-z. I miss the manual gearbox so much but i need 4dr with the kids. Still have the SUV for weekends to carry 3 kids and their stuff that get 12-18mpg.

6. Ads_green

Ads_green New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I swapped my old vauxhall vxr8 (Pontiac g8 over in the US, Holden R8 clubsport in Australia) that had a 6.2 corvette v8 (with supercharger).

Stinking fast in a straight line and lots of room but not chuckable and for a day to day runabout wad getting 12mpg (imperial not US) and parts were getting silly ($4k for front discs). And you don't really use 600bhp with two toddlers in the back so seemed silly.

Still have my toy car which is faster so have a happy compromise.

7. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2007 Acura RDX lease. I knew it was a guzzler going in but had my 'come to jesus' moment in the summer of 2008 when super hit $5. I vowed never to pay $75 for a tank of gas again.

8. soggy

soggy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Traded in a 2006 chili red mini cooper S for my 2010 winter gray Prius III. I also own a 2005 Stella scooter (2-stroke, but 60+mpg). Prior to the mini, I owned a 1988 mazda mx-6 (while in law school), and a 2000 Jetta (the few years I worked between grad school and law school).

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 smart fortwo passion coupé. Traded it because I wanted a Prius and could finally afford one.

10. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why a Prius, and before that another Prius!

11. opusinwa

opusinwa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Using C4C, we traded in my 1992 Subaru SVX with 154K miles. I loved the quirky windows and the amazing handling, but it was only getting 16mpg and it started having electrical issues. I'm also in a 07 Infiniti G35x, which is going back to the dealership in July (lease end). It also gets 16mpg.

What I like best about the Prius is, of course, the gas mileage but I also like the new tech, like bluetooth streaming audio.

12. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My previous cars starting in '79...
    Mine / Hers
    Ford Mustang / Chevy Beretta
    Mazda RX7 '83
    Ford Taurus '89 / Infinity G20
    Nissan Altima '93
    Subaru Outback '97 / Infinity G20
    Infinity G20 (from her)
    Acura 3.2 TL / BMW 328 '00
    BMW 328 (from her) / Mazda MPV '03
    Nissan Murano '06 / Honda Pilot '05
    Toyota Prius '10

13. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My previous car was a 93 Camry XLE V6. Wanted a newer car with better mpg.

14. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I change cars like it's going out of style but I have a feeling this time around I'm going to stick with my Prius.

Here's my car history in acquisition order, I've had as much as 3 at the same time.

New 2010 Kia Soul (traded in for the Prius, kept for 10 months)

New 2009 Acura TSX Tech (Still have it, but the Prius makes this car completely useless since it's smaller and obviously less fuel efficient, will probably trade next year for MBZ GLK 350, Audi Q5, or upcoming BMW X1)

Used 2003 BMW 325ci (kept for 3 months, got bored quickly)

New 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (leased, kept for almost 2 years)

New 2007 Mazda CX-7 (kept for 1 year, drank gas like no tommorow)

New 2006 Toyota Yaris 3-Dr (kept for 1 year, always felt too cheap)

New 2006 Toyota 4-Runner (kept for 1 year, major regrets selling it, would've been perfect in the garage along with the Prius)

New 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser (kept for 1 month, only bought it to flip it, made $2K)

New 2005 Mitsubishi Evo VIII (kept it for 9 months, was a bitch to maintain and own)

Used 2002 Subaru WRX (kept it for 2 months, bought it from my cosuin, traded it for the EVO which really pissed my cousin off)

New 2006 Scion tC (kept it for 3 months, went into power hungry "turbo craze" shortly after buying it)

Used 2002 Jeep Wrangler (had a 4.5 inch Pro-Comp Lift, made $3K flipping it)

Used 1991 Mazda Miata (bought from friend, flipped it for $500)

New 2005 Scion xB (kept for 1 year, drove 42,000 miles in that one year!)

New 2002 Honda Civic Si (ahh the first car I bought with my own money, it will always have a special place in my heart)

As you can see I made Uncle Sam a very happy man with all the sales taxes paid and I was the DMV's best customer but I purely enjoyed the whole experience. I was still single when I bought most of the cars as many of them were purely objects of lust. Most of my family think I have some sort of buying disorder, I just look at it as me having fun while I am still young.

15. gpt

gpt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Traded my Opel Corsa 3 door for a Prius as I need more space for an infant seat and a more secure environment for the rest of the family.

Selected Prius against MB E200 & Skoda Superb due to the gas prices going skyhigh. We reached 1.5 Euro / lt. these days...:target:

We still have a small Toyota Yaris for the short, city centre trips.

We turned out to be Toyota funs in my family after all...

16. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My previous car was a Toyota Avensis Wagon -D4D diesel - (fuel).
    It was 5 Years old. No special reason to change it except to please me.
    Why a Prius ? Because :
    1) we are green : organic vegetables from our garden, we use as much as possible rainwater for toilets, washing machine, garden, ...
    2 )Prius is the ancestor of tomorrow cars;
    3) we are producer of electricity, a part of our house's roof is covered with solar panels;

4)

17. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota supra Twin Turbo

Van powered by water/gas/E85

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L: Yours is an interesting case. You did a complete 180: from the balls-out All-American testosterone to a Japanese fuel-sipper.

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Going back two, an '05 BMW 330i which I should have kept to go with the Prius, I might pick up a used M3 in that year range as a hobby. Prior to that I had an '05 Prius, never liked the driving position or driver's seat, handling wasn't so good either. Gen3 is a lot better for me in both regards.

I also have a '92 Chevy 4x4 pickup which I bought new, still runs great so I'll keep it until the wheels fall off, then put on new wheels. Most economical transportation I've ever owned.