1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what went wrong here? should I complain? 10,000 mile service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by starla30, Nov 24, 2004.

1. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just got my 10,000 mile service done and I was stunned at the charge of $140.00 He told me beforehand that it was going to be $100 (before I asked for synthetic oil) and when I was surprised at the increase in price, he just agreed that it was more and didn't explain why. I know that in the manual thing it says it should be exactly the same service.

I wish I had pursued this but I always feel intimidated when I go into these places because I really care about my car and I know they don't care about my car and they barely pay attention when I try to explain what I want done. For instance the 5000 mile change at which I specified it was important the oil not be overfilled and they overfilled it anyway.

Anyway, for $140 I got (according to the receipt)

Labor... $55 ($79/hour!)
    oil & filter change, lubrication of chasis & all hinges, check operation of all lights, inspect suspension & steering, check & adjust tire pressure, rotate tires, inspect all hoses, belts, & filters. Inspect & top off all fluid levels,. Inspect tires for proper alignment. Inspect heat shields. Inspect brakes.

Filter S/A Oil 6.50
    gasket 1.15
    oil additive (Wth!?) 9.95
    Fuel Sys Cleaner (Double Wth!?) 21.95
    Solvent 1.32
    Mobil 1 34.00

2. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

First, syn is more expensive than dino oil. On your Wth items, my opinion is that they are uneeded. I don't believe in oil additives, never been any proof that I've seen that they're needed. The fuel system cleaner, that's awful high. Doesn't do any harm, but at 10k likely not needed either.
    Solvent?
    Other stuff hard to say. I mean, maintenence is one of those things. There are lots of things you really should do, that doesn't get done on those schedules, and likewise stuff done that isn't really needed.

I need to go read about this overfilling thing everyone here talks about. I know what it *can do, but just don't see it as that big of a deal. (unless its a fair amount)

So, to summarize, sure you got some stuff you didn't need, but, didn't hurt either. Unless you specify exactly what you want done, stuff like this happens.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off Starla, you've gotta have some spine. The 10K service is nothing more than an oil/filter change and tire rotation...you should have been out of there for $50-60 tops. Bring your own oil and it'll be even cheaper. You should have known that before you walked in the door and walked out the second they tried to rip you for the rest.

Second, yea, you got raped and you need to complain. Ask the manager to show you in the Toyota Passport where it says those items are needed, where you'd asked for them yourself, or where in their policy they do it as standard policy. Demand a refund for all but the necessary and requested products and services.

That won't be easy and it's unlikely you'll get the money back, IMO, but you can make a point and find a new service dept., or if you can't they'll know you know your business and won't get ripped again.

You must be prepared before you go in for this stuff for the same reasons you mentioned...you care about your car and they don't...thus you need to know more than they do.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Wth items, to which I'd add "solvent", were pure ripoffs. Ditto the "chassis lubrication"; there's nothing to lube on the Prius chassis. Check the oil yourself to see whether they overfilled it. (Anything above "FULL" is overfilled.) If they did, make them drain it down.

Then insist that they refund the difference between the promised and actual price.

5. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: what went wrong here? should I complain? 10,000 mile ser

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was fully aware that synth oil would cost more. That wasn't an issue. Just those other things. About the needing a backbone thing, I completely agree. But you also need to understand that a female going into one of these places is going to be treated differently than a guy. The first service I went in for, I specifically stated a few times about the oil overfill thing in advance and even gave them a little sticky note to put on the paperwork so they wouldn't forget. The woman was annoyed that I was trying to tell her what to do with her job and the result was that they overfilled the oil and I had to go back again for the drain. If I were a guy maybe she might've been more inclined to listen to me. I didn't neccessarily look like I knew what I was talking about. So I know I should've been more assertive but it's difficult when the guy you're talking to won't make eye contact and dismisses what you're asking him to do as you say it.

I went in expecting the 3 things listed in the manual. I was in a hurry/confused/intimidated by the guy so I didn't put up a stink when he intially quoted $100. I should have.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Before I picked up the car, I was given the "grand tour" of the service department, where I was given a VERY extensive service menu that went out to 160,000km. Everything was itemized, even shop supplies, and carefully separated into two headings: Warranty Required, and, Recommended.

The Recommended row had to do with the fact that Winnipeg, Manitoba can have winter temps like Siberia, but summer temps like Minneapolis.

They recommend, among other things, 3mo/5,000km OCI, unless you're running synthetic oil. More frequent (Half the factory time/distance) flush/refill of the ICE coolant and inverter coolant. Makes sense, given the extremes in temp.

I guess you have to do a lot of leg work trying to find a dealer as upfront as the one I have. Given the problems I've had with my Prius, it contrasts a bad but fixable situation from an outright nightmare. For that, kudos to my local dealer.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the 10k is just an oil change and tire rotation. I can rotate the tires myself right? I plan on changing the oil myself.. again. I really don't trust other people with my car.

The wheels don't need to be re balanced.. they are balanced as is..er.. should be.. so i should have no problem with rotating them myself. I believe the rotation pattern is in the manual.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I would say if you're comfortable changing the oil, do it yourself. Don't forget about the drain plug gasket. For the savings, you can run synthetic for about what a dealer would charge for regular oil.

If you can find a very shallow drain pan, you may not even need car ramps. The oil filter is easy enough to get off from underneath or by reaching down with the hood up.

A good hydraulic trolley car jack makes life a lot easier. Yes, the manual does have the rotation sequence. Invest in a torque wrench and don't overtighten the bolts: 76 ft lbs is max.

Maybe balance the tires once a year? Personally, if I can't feel vibration, I don't bother.

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the oil last time. I swiched for sythentic ( 21 dollars ) and a copper washer for the drain plug. I also purchased a K&N oil filter. I guess i could do it again. I seems like i just changed my oil yesterday. Changing the tires though.. guess i'll ... i'll... hmm.. use the spare and do one tire at a time.. that way the car has something to stand on :)

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Costco will rotate and balance the tires plus fill them with nitrogen, instead of plain air, for the grand sum of $16. Of course, if you bought the tires from them, it is free.

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip/offer. I don't know if i want nitrogen in my tires though. I remember reading a huge thread about it and not liking the idea.

And to keep this on topic... complain... make sure to complain about every service check they do. I'm sure they'll do something wrong... j/k :)

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It was a tip, not an offer. Other than being a very satisfied customer, I have nothing to do with Costco.

About the nitrogen, if it is good enough for Tom and Ray Magliozzi, the Car Guys, it is good enough for me.

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Starla don't talk to the service adviser/seat warmer tell them you want to talk to the service manager and if he's not in then the bussiness manager. Explain to them that your really unhappy with the treatment you got from the seat warmer and tell them they have one more chance to do it right or the next time your letter to them will have a copy going to Toyota Corporate Headquarters explaining the poor business practice of this particular dealer. Sit down and type up a letter detailing these two incidents and give it to the service manager or business manager and tell him the next time a copy will go to corporate headquarters. Almost all the time this will get action and in the extreme case where it doesn't then it's time for a new dealer or independent service station willing to listen and deal with your concerens. The warranty will still be valid if you have reciepts for the work done, dated and with the mileage writen on it. If you decide to do it yourself, and an oil change isn't rocket science, just keep the reciepts for the materials, filter, gasket, oil and any other parts you put in,eg. air filters etc. Toyota has to honor your warranty if proof of work has been done.

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Synthetic vs. dino oil, and pure nitrogen vs. plain air (which BTW is 80 percent nitrogen), have been argued at length in this forum. The conclusion is that for the Prius, which its 76 hp ICE (5000 top rpm), and basic tires meant for normal driving, synthetic oil and pure nitrogen don't make any difference. One can spend in both the money saves on gas, though.

15. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

About complaining for being charged $140 for what should have been an oil/filter change and tire rotation ($28 at the corner lube shop), the important thing is not to get taken again. You lose the money but you gain the experience.

Like they say... is you fool me once, it's your fault; if you fool me twice, it's my fault.

16. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(starla30\";p=\"52598)</div>
    Starla30, I sympathize with your experience completely, but when you aggressively combat such BS it shocks the H... out of them and believe me, they rarely, if ever, do it again.

Case in point...many years ago, my wife, then a 30-something "Sweet Southern Lady", took our car to the local Ford dealership for some critical mechanical repairs (I was out of town on business). When picking up the car and still in the service area, she checked the car to verify that the repairs had been done...most had not! She then turned and addressed the service manager, and everyone else in the area including other customers, loudly and in terms that any hardened sailor would fully understand that the repairs had not been performed correctly and what she saw showed total incompetence. Further, that the problems would be fixed NOW while she waited in the service area and watched. After that encounter, she never had another problem with that dealership...they were scared to death of her.

She rarely has had to resort to these extremes since, but it gave her such confidence that she entered subsequent potentially confrontational circumstances sure of herself and standing tall. That occasion has served her well ever since, both professionally and personally.

By the way, she had minimal automotive experience at the time, but she could tell by how the car sounded and felt that nothing had changed.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

That's great!

The sweet lady did what needed to be done... and now they respect her for having confronted them like that. Cool!

Also, it is an excellent endorsement for how you don't have to be mechanically inclined to understand the vehicle. All you have to be is observant.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i feel for you Starla, but agreeing to the service after being quoted $100 isnt leaving you with much ammunition to argue with. you did sign an agreement for service.

next time, when quoted a price, make them itemize what they will do one by one and ok or nix each service, you have that right.

and realize, most of what they did should have been done for free. i cant remember the last time chassis lube was a charged service for me.. even MinuteLube, QuikieLube or whatever the are called provides chassis lube for free as it should be since its not even a 30 second job.

19. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"52716)</div>
    Starla authorized work estimated to cost $100, but was then charged $140.

In California that would be illegal. The repair facility must first contact the vehicle owner and obtain authorization to perform the extra work, or for the additional cost, in order to legally be able to charge in excess of the original estimate.

I don't know if Massachusetts has similar consumer protection laws. it may be worth looking into it.

20. allenlux

allenlux Junior Member

If you go onto http://www.toyota.com and click on "Vehicles" (top left corner), then "Parts and service" on the drop-down menu, you can access and even print out the complete official maintenance schedule for your Prius.

This would be a good way to prepare for any visit to the garage for routine service, or to justify a complaint after the event.

When I looked at the schedule, I was amazed at how little work is required for scheduled maintenance under normal conditions.

John Allen