1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What wheels are on your Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NiMHpwr, May 20, 2005.

1. Vernon

Vernon New Member

Excellent photos. The Scion wheels look good.

Question: Does the 17" Scion wheel/tire combination raise or lower the car from stock? And if so, by how much?

Thanks

2. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't see much difference in the height. The overall diameter of the stock Goodyear's is 24.4" and the 17" Potenza is 24.6". You'd think that going form a 15" wheel to a 17" wheel would net some extra clearance but I think that the height/width ratio is the same for both tires.

My front bumper still scapes on my driveway unless I crawl up it at the curb :oops: ...so I doubt there's much change in height.

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Scion wheel on the Prius, great look, great fit and very inexpensive for rims and tires.

4. Vernon

Vernon New Member

Thanks, PriusGuy - very helpful. (I did not see your response until today.)

5. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

I have a set of 17 inch Scion tires that I will sell if anyone is interested. The tires have around 500 miles on them. As you can see from the other posted pictures they look great. I orignally got them for the looks and for better snow and winter handling ( I live here on Long Island ). The car feels like a much heavier vehicle with them on which is nice and has much better traction control . I liked that because I was used to driving a heavier car. I finally switched back to keep the orignal stock look and performance characteristics. I'm letting them go for $600 (for the set) plus shipping if not picked up. If anyone is interested you can leave word here or email me at sward4@***NooSpam*** optonline.net. (remove ***...***). Thanks

6. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Prius Guy, are you still driving w/Potenza? Did you switch to Avons or still researching?

Here's a quick pic of my tirerack purchased set of rims/Avon M550 A/S.

A very comfortable ride imo and I'm fully satisfied with low-noise for this low-profile tyre.

Cheers~

7. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

These have been posted before but since you asked...

17" x 7.5" Arelli Assassyn's - still catch people's attention.

8. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    HYACK,

Yes I am still running the Potenza's. I also bought the Hydroedge tires and I have been swapping back and forth between the two setups. The 15" Hydroedge tires on stock wheels are actually very nice. I like the look of the 17" wheels but the mileage hit has been great. I'm getting 40 MPG with the 17" wheels and 45-46 with the Hydroedge's. Both are disappointing compared to the 52 MPG I was averaging with the stock Integrty's. The Potenza's definitely need to go, if I stick with the 17" wheels.

Right now, I'm leaning towards selling the 17" wheels/tires and staying the the Hydroedges and maybe finding a nicer 15" low-weight wheel.

Your car looks awesome! Thanks for posting your pics :clap: . What MPG are you getting?

9. slortz

slortz New Member

All things considered, 16" rims offer the best balance to me. ConsumerReports has a good article which outlines the general pros/cons of plus sizing between 1-3". You'll need an account to access the article, though.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/main/conten...D=1122566576865
    Here is a link to another informative article on wheels, no account necessary.
    http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/020...scc_wheelguide/
    Also, this website: http://www.1010tires.com/ has good tools in their Tech section for comparing tire sizes and wheel offsets. It just so happens that a 215/50/16 tire is an exact match to the stock Prius wheel in overall diameter--so no inaccuracy in the speedometer if I change to this tire.
    Hope others find this info useful in making an informed choice.

10. HYACK

HYACK New Member

PriusGuy,

I took a 200 mile test drive upon acquiring my Prius and prior to shipping it onto the island where I live. The first 200 miles of 75% freeway 25% town saw an avg of 47.5 miles with my 17" set (and my new driving experience) ;)

Since the car has been on-island (cumulative 500 miles over the past month) I've dropped to 39.5 mpg due to my driving conditions.

My work is 1.5 miles from home and shopping another .5 miles from there lol!

I'm avg about 60-70 miles per week including one round-the-island drive per week to put on some 45-50 mph highway mileage ;)

I personally like to drive fast, or at least with traffic, and the combined stop and go nature of my route contributes to the sub-40 figs. But no biggy!!

The alternative would be 15-20 combined mpg given same conditions, non-hy. It's all relative, eh..

furthermore, I never got the chance to drive w/ my 15" Integs so I can't compare.

And cheers, thanks for liking my ride~

(pkg 4, leather, custom speakers/amp, metallic tint, 17"/Avon M550, car cover, front-end bra.)

11. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Too bad the photos do not appear in this thread anymore. I would love to see how the Scion tC wheels look on the Prius.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I should be posting some this weekend.

13. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here are some pics...

14. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Hi 925PriusGuy, thanks for posting the pictures of a silver Prius with Scion tC wheels! They look great! Very sporty.

It looks like the centercap has been replaced with a standard chrome cap with no logo. I wonder if there is a Toyota cap that would work for that application (showing the Toyota logo)?

I am still interested in seeing pictures from DocVijay too!

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WOW!! Thosw wheels/tires look awfully familiar!! :)

Here is my MS Prius with the Scion TC's..

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

16. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The stock Prius center cap fits the 17" Scion wheels. I think that the glare in the photos makes it look like plain chrome center caps are on the wheels, but it's actually the orginal Toyota logo center caps that came with the wheels.

I should add that I no longer have these wheels, they are now on a beautiful Salsa Red Prius in San Diego. I've gone back to the stock rims with Michelin Hydroedge tires with the BT brace and the ride/mileage works for us.

17. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

It's good to know that the center caps from the factory Prius wheels will fit the Scion tC wheels (thanks 925PriusGuy).

I would also like to thank Brian at BT_Tech for posting a beautiful picture (larger too) of a silver Prius with Scion tC wheels. The car looks very sporty.

18. huh

huh New Member

Has anyone changed the stock wheels on a 2006? I'm wondering about the Tire Pressure Monitor System and how to preserve the functionality.

Someone had mentioned that they are detected via ABS/rotation vs actual radio transmitters in the wheel. I thought I read in the Owner's Manual that they were on the special valves...

Somewhere it mentions needing 40-50 miles of driving for it to re-learn the pressure, but how do you transfer the valves?

Thanks!

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

If it is in the valves, any tire shop can switch them for you. I'm going to have to check on that, as I am about to get my '06 and switch wheels.

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Doc is absolutely correct. Generally the TPMS consits of a sensor that is mounted in each tire that communicates via RF the TP at each wheel.

It is my understanding that on the Prius it simply consists of an idiot light that goes off due to low pressure but on my corvette it will show the actual air pressure in each tire. I could be wrong about the light on the Prius but that is what I have been told.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115