1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What will I not like about the Prius V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TAPnAR, Jul 21, 2020.

1. TAPnAR

TAPnAR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I love my new to me Gen 3 2013 Prius 2. I giggle every time I put gas in it. I have had it since mid November. And it has been nothing but pure joy and has paid for itself almost 3 times in my job.

I have been thinking about the Prius V model and wondering what I will miss about the Gen 3. I like the Looks of the Prius V and like the extra space it has. I have not test driven any of them yet, but wondering what thoughts people have that have driven both.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Todd

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My personal input is that this post need to be in the correct sub forum.

3. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My understanding is they use the same engine and with the v being bigger, you will get about 5 mpg less.

With 50K on my '16v over 3 years I get
    45 mpg in summer
    35 mpg in winter
    an honest 40 -41 mpg average

Our '08 standard Prius is an honest 3-5 mpg better, even though it's 8 years older.

Of course driving conditions and style can alter that.

I prefer the v as I am taller at 6'1". my wife prefers driving standard as she is 5' 5" ish.

The rest is all subjective.

2012 Prius v wagon 3 and TAPnAR like this.
  4. TAPnAR

TAPnAR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My apologies, I thought the "General Forum" seemed like the closest match for my question.

5. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No worries here, as it's a crap shoot either way as it involves 2 different vehicles :)

TAPnAR likes this.
  6. TAPnAR

TAPnAR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the input, I am going to try and test drive a few this coming weekend.

Todd

7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

We have a 2010 liftback and a 2012 v (wagon) and there absolutely is an MPG difference...mostly due to the fact that the v is quite a bit heavier ( 3,042 ls for the liftback and 3,274 lbs for the v ). I can't 'glide' as well with the v due to the extra weight. Also, when I really try to push the MPGs, I can do MUCH better on the liftback vs. the v.

Fuelly shows the difference pretty clearly. However, fuelly can be deceiving because of sample size, and where people live.

2010 Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 1,422 2010 Toyota Prius owners
    2012 Toyota Prius V MPG - Actual MPG from 461 2012 Toyota Prius V owners

8. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Prius V is definitely bigger, coming in at 181.7 inches long, 69.9 inches wide and 62 inches high. The Gen3 Prius measures 175.6 inches long, 68.7 inches wide and 58.7 inches high

As I vaguely recall, there is something that struck me as unusual about the Prius V usable space, thought. I can't recall exactly what it is, maybe the flood does not lie completely flat when the seats are folded? Since I use my Prius for camping, that's important to me.

Please circle back after you test drive this weekend and indicate your findings. That would benefit others in the future who are searching for this answer.

9. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Those MPG figures above approximately match my 2012 v.

To be precise, the capital "V" means roman numeral five for the "Model," vs. the lower case "v" means the one we're talking about here - van, wagon, etc. Confusing, and not everyone follows this, if you're looking for a "v" and go to take a test drive of an ad for a "V" and it's a regular Prius with pimped out leather seats, etc., that's why. So I'd check that the seller knows what you're looking for before going.

As far as using it, and whether the extra size / space is worth the MPG hit, for us, the answer is definitely yes. In addition to the obvious extra space for hauling stuff, my kids have commented to me how their friends are so impressed with how the back seats have so much room, recline, etc. (and they say that having been passengers in regular Prii). But if you're a hypermiling solo long-range commuter, it may not be worth the trade off.

BTW, it just amazes me how heavy these are, at 3200+ lbs. But I'm impressed every time I learn more about the engineering in these things, so I expect it is all well considered.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been a while since I've driven a Prius v but I'll see what I can scavenge

Prius v
    • Larger cargo area (but I believe the cargo floor length is the same?)
    • Sliding/reclining rear seats - great for passengers
    • Tons of rear legroom
    • Slightly higher seating position (~1" all things equal)
    • Honestly I like the look of it. The pre-refresh model's rear taillights remind me of the last generation Saab 9-3 wagon before it got killed off
    • I like the panoramic roof even though it doesn't open (there is an "auto" setting for the sunshade to close every time you shut off the car)
    • I don't like the '80s looking digital dash (2012-2014 model year) compared to the Gen 3 (2010-2011). I believe the graphics were updated for 2015? (same for Gen 3 in 2012).
    • The passenger cupholder seems kind of flimsy (the on that pops out from beneath the vent)
    • The LED headlights of the 2015+ Prius v Five is the only one that's rated "good" in the IIHS headlight test
    • The mpg is lower because of weight, aerodynamics and a lower final drive gear ratio
    • That said, I got 50.4mpg on a short L.A. loop (20 miles) which included highway driving
    • It can look cool if you tint the windows, drop it 1" (optional) and add 17" or 18" wheels to it (The Five gets 17" alloys standard, the rest of the lineup has 16" alloys with aerodynamic wheel covers)

What did you do to your Prius v wagon today? | Page 3 | PriusChat

Here's the 16" alloys with the wheel covers but tinted and lowered.
    Mods | Page 2 | PriusChat

11. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yep..they are heavy. The reduced MPGs are not too big of a deal for us though...we got the v (wagon) to replace our minivan. The v gets FAR better MPG than than beast did. (y)

BTW - If I really want to haul a large amount of stuff, I remove the rear seats. You do have to do some wrenching to do so but there is a HUGE amount of room in there once the seats are gone. I also have removed the rear seats for road trips, etc....

Here are some pics I posted a while back of our v with the seats removed :

Hi all, new Prius v owner | Page 7 | PriusChat