1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What will you trade in for a PiP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by radiocycle, Sep 21, 2011.

?
  1. I'll be trading in my good old Gen I.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Trading in my Gen II.

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Trading in my Gen III.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I'm trading in my non-hybrid vehicle.

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Not trading anything in; I'm going to sell my car myself.

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  6. Keeping all my vehicles, just adding one to the fleet.

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is making me look harder at the Plug-In-Conversions (PICC), PHEV upgrade, its pricey at $12.5K, but I can keep my Gen 3 Model 5, which is better equiped than the 2012 PiP.
    Of course, it might just be a Nissan Leaf and keep the 2010 Gen 3 to see how it works out, then just flat out sell the 2010... decisions decisions. Both are supposed to be orderable soon in my state (MA), I am hearing 9/27 for the Leaf (my Leaf dashboard is already showing the "home charger assement", and I have the waiver already), and possibly days later for the PiP (early October?)

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will trade my '10 III/NAV Blizzard Pearl, as we only need one newish car. Our other cars get few miles/year, so it makes no sense for them to sit with high value. Plus, Prius is not my 1st choice of car to sit idle (small 12V vs SKS, e.g.).

Will sell it separate if I cannot make a decent trade deal.

Who knows when in 2013 they start selling to the rest of us; could be 2014 before supply improves for negotiations, so will be into 5th year with the '10 anyway.

PiP will take our short, local trips from the most expensive, low mpg, and make them higher than average mpge with a good electric cost and no warmup penalty. At the same time, our highway mpg should stay at present levels +/-.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This Nov will be my 7th as well. And I'm looking at Trade-In to reduce sales tax.

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I take everything on trade. Just nothing that eats so no horses! ;)

I'd try as local CARMAX for a good 2nd opinion when it's closer to the car's delivery date. I really do have folks asking me what their cars are worth now... even though the new cars are 6 months out.

I'm not certain what to expect for used Prii values. We will be expecting many lease returns from the folks that bought 2012's back in May and June 2009, and MANY of the cheaper lease special cars coming back before the model year change on 2009's as well. The market could be a little heavy in used Prii with folks heading for the 2012's, the c and the wagons and the PHEVS. I'm pretty determined to get rid of my 2007 sooner and grab an interim car.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't know about Illinois and New York, but I believe that here in California, the sales tax is based on the selling price of the new car, period. So you are better off taking a discount off the new car rather than paying full price with an overallowance for your trade. Am I correct on this point, Dianne?

6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, in CA you are.

In some states, they calculate the sales tax based on the difference figure between the new car price and the trade value. CA isn't one of those! The state gets sales tax on the selling price of the new car, period, regardless of the value of the trade. Been that way for decades!

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is one of the great things about buying a new car in Texas! When I sold my 2004 Prius on Craigslist, and bought a Hycam, my dealer even let me process the sale as if the car had been traded in at the dealer, for a small fee. I got a private party price and still got the sales tax break!

Pretty hard to do that if I'm buying a car from the West Coast though...:(

(Thanks again for hating on Texas, Toyota)

8. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Chances are, if you sell your old car private party ... because you have MANY months to set that up with so much time between order and delivery, you're getting more for the car than a dealership will give you. More, in balance, than the 5%-9% difference between the sale price and the trade value.

I can't think of a scenario where the trade off is not better.
    Hope that makes sense. In almost every single trade in case, you ARE better off selling your own car. If it's a cheap car, and you don't get much, you sure wouldn't get much from the dealership either and you're only talking about the tax amount on that trade's value.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Definitely. In my example, I did in fact sell private party. But then we had the buyer come to the dealership at the same as I was taking possession of the new Hycam. For a $50 fee and some paper shuffling, the dealer acted as a middleman and allowed me to save $1,200 of sales tax on the Hycam, as if I had traded the Prius directly to the dealer.

10. chenyj

chenyj Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From sustainability and economical point of view, I think keeping the existing car and adding a plug-in battery pack is a better choice. You are paying $7,000 premium ($9,500 if no Federal tax credit) for 15 miles of EV range per charge in PiP.

11. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am investigating this for my 2010 Model V, PICC has quoted anywhere from $7-$12.5K, and $1,000-$1,500 for shipping & installation. I think there is only a 36 month warranty on the pack though. I will be talking to Kim Adelman in the next few days and have more details soon.

12. AustinP

AustinP New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trading in ... if I can get anything for a 2004 with 190K+ miles and a few scratches.

13. Brant

Brant Plugged-In Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no poll option for me :) I sold my 2008 Civic Hybrid already in preparation for the PHV order. I was able to get a free car from my mother in law to use in the meantime, it sat for 2 years, and is a '94 Sentra, but I fixed it up mechanically and it runs great! It has less mileage than my Civic did! Ha!

14. mtngal

mtngal New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wrong place, sorry

15. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We're not sure if we'll get the PiP (hopefully something even better will come along in 2-3 more years). Regardless, we'll trade in our 2004 Saturn Vue V6, currently 58k mi.

EPA rating *was* 27mpg's hwy, but sadly we always avg'd 20 mpgs real world.

16. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, it's leased and that expires in 2013. Based on what I've seen of prices I don't expect to replace it with a plug-in. I refuse to pay more than a tiny premium for that (I mean really tiny).

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Care to elaborate? In the past, people had been saying that premium should be around $3,000 to attract mainstream interest.

18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW, if/when I get a plug in hybrid or EV I'll be buying a used car so I chose the option for not trading anything in assuming I'll buy from a private seller.

Even if I went the certified pre-owned route I'd likely keep the sale of the old car separated from the transaction of buying the newer but still used car.

19. Recovering Gas Guzzler

There is no option on the poll for trading in a hybrid vehicle other than a Prius. In my case, I will be selling (private party) a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid and keeping my 2005 Prius, as it is the better car of the two.