1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What windshield to have installed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Higgins909, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III with 183k on it. The windshield cracked and it's getting worse. I've setup to have it replaced but they're so backed up or something I gotta wait like 2-3 weeks. I'm going through SafeLite. Apparently I'm getting a aftermarket windshield. My insurance told me I could get a OEM or aftermarket. But SafeLite never asked me, just a bunch of other questions. I had to ask their website chat to figure it out. I was thinking I wanted OEM, but should I let it go? I was hoping it would have the Toyota logo on it, like all the other windows. Maybe aerodynamics as well. But it might be a slight hassle to change it. It took me like 2 hours to get it setup the first time... As far as I'm aware, I'm paying only a $100 deductible.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose it depends on the quality of the aftermarket part. toyota has had their own windshield issues on gen 4, so their are no guarantees.
    and it depends on how fast you want it done.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You DO NOT want a cheap aftermarket windshield!
    Sadly, that's what they used on mine. The insurance company said it would be a Toyota one. She lied!
    It's crappy! It had something on glass that just would not come off. Everytime it rained, it was a blur.
    The wipers, which were new, did their job and wiped the water away, but the new water behind them stuck like oil.

I scrubbed, cleaned, used a razor blade, nothing worked. At least I didn't have to drive in the rain much.
    That was August 2019. The last few times it rained, I noticed the "oil" effect was pretty much gone.
    I guess the sun cooked it off.

But I also noticed that on the drivers side top corner, the glass is raising up. Good Job safelite!