1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What works to 'fix' gas mileage drop?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RyanFlorida, Mar 14, 2016.

1. RyanFlorida

RyanFlorida Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,
    I bought a 2010 Prius II (150,000 miles on it) about two weeks ago. In that time the car has been averaging between 41 and 43 MPG according to the computer, and I calculated 41.3 MPG at my last fill up. I am concerned about the MPGs. I bought a brand new Prius in 2012, it was a III model and '12 year. That car always got 48 highway, and 50 in the city. From what I understand, the 2010 and 2012 models have the same engine and transmission set up and the only difference may be the software. So my questions are; why am I getting 7 to 9 MPG less than my old (newer) 2012 Prius? I have read many other posts where people give all the different suggestions as to what to do to get better mileage, but what actually worked? My checklist of repairs include; check 12v battery, change out spark plugs, just changed air filter, check brakes, oil change (using Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-20), what else should I check/replace/update?

Thanks for your help, and my responses to cwerdna are posted below

- Have you read This Thread Yet?
    Yes
    - What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)
    Computer said 42.5, calculator said 41.3
    - What fuel economy are you expecting and why?
    48, I use to have a 2012 Prius III, drove same route and got around 48 MPG
    - What are the approximate outside air temps?
    70F to 80F, humidity has not been a factor until this past weekend
    - How long are your trips?
    30min to an hour
    How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)
    Unsure, I should really test it now that I'm reading this
    Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
    No on alignment. Slight pull to right, though it could be the road, and there is one mismatched tire on the car.
    - How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
    City driving for 5-10 miles longer stretches under 40 MPH, then 20-30 miles on highway speeds between 60 MPH and 80 MPH
    - What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)
    Where I live is very hilly, some very steep, yes there are hills in Florida :) Orlando where I work is flat
    - What are your tire pressures?
    Pressure is 36 all around
    - Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)
    Oil looks ok, but Im not sure what type
    - Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)
    2012 Prius III 1.8L, same trips I would get 48 MPG
    - What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)
    Live in Clermont, FL where there are a lot of big hills, commute to Orlando which is flat
    - How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?
    Try to stay in electric mode while in slower driving conditions. Braking normal, slow and easy.
    - What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco?
    Eco mode only
    - Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?
    No
    - Are you driving using D or B mode?
    Only use D
    - HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
    AC on auto around 74F
    - Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).
    Tires are Bridgestone and one mismatched Cooper Tire (unsure on models), all same size as originals
    - If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?
    Unknown, recently bought car

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

merged.

put on some good low rolling resistance tyres, like the oem's. change the oil and filter, and clean replace the air and cabin filters. stay out of electric intentionally, and get the 12 volt info and post it here.
    at 150k, it could be anything. you might need pcv, throttle body/maf, injectors, maybe your hybrid battery is week. there are no easy answers. all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure all the tires are Low Rolling Resistance, feel free to just tell us the brand names on the tires.

Your 12 volt battery would normally show other symptoms if it is weak. (Try rolling up the windows in just ACC and then in READY, is ready much faster?)

You really want 0w-20 synthetic, but I know of no economical way to test existing oil to see what you have.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Definitely have the alignment checked, and check the size and tread wear on all four tires. Get all four the same if possible.
    Since you've only had the car two weeks, and may not know how it was driven by the previous owner, the car may take a while to "re-learn" your driving habits. Disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes (assuming the battery checked out ok), reconnect it, and drive it like you normally would (you may have to reset the radio stations and auto up/down for the windows.)

Welcome to PriusChat

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would you consider gathering some vehicle metrics using a miniVCI that requires a laptop computer with Windows XP?

With operational data, we can look at what is going on in the drive train. The reason I ask is with 150,000 miles, your mileage is not good. Baring some chassis or wheel misalignment issue, the car should be doing better.

That one tire (which one?) is different than the other suggests it has seen something 'hard' in the past. So I concur with having the alignment checked and possibly the frame. You might check with Firestone about getting a life-time alignment package. This means you can bring the car in at any time to have it checked again.

Also, I recommend trying to fully inflate the tires for a week. Fully inflated tires will have less heat generation from an alignment problem.

Bob Wilson

6. RyanFlorida

RyanFlorida Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for the info!

I attempted to check the battery voltage, however I had a dead battery in my multimeter :( Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come

The bad tire is in the rear left side now. Another thing I noticed is that the right front inner splash shield/fender shield is missing. In the 4 - 5 Prius' I looked at before buying mine, 3 of them had missing inner splash shields. Is this a common problem? I thought maybe my one tire that is different got a bad flat on the highway and destroyed the splash shield which is why its missing. BTW, I don't understand how you get that bad of a flat, I've driven across the country several times, I've been driving for over 15 years, and I have never had a flat!

As for a miniVCI, Bob, it sounds very interesting, but I do not have access to such a thing!