1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would a turbocharger do to a prius???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by V8Cobrakid, Aug 14, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fair enough.

2. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

High performance Atkinson engines

Readers of performance modifications might be interested in viewing numerous post I have made on this subject at The Temple of VTEC where I post as cleverlever.

I have 12 patents related to this subject and still have my original prototype vehicle incorporating this technology. The vehicle is a 1965 Corvair.

The dream engine would be a Prius engine that incorporated the Toyota vvtl mechanism with the vvti mechanism. Appropriately tuned this engine could switch from an Atkinson engine to an otto cycle at the same time it switched to a higher octane fuel such as E85. The E85 could be delivered by a single point fuel injector common to all cylinders and the prius already has a bladder in the fuel tank that could be used to seperate two fuels as per the choice of the driver.
    Please visit page 10 at this web site to observe what happens to power when you put E85 in a prius http://www.creedproject.org/stream_v7n2.pdf

3. jchu

jchu New Member

My concern about E85 fuels is that while it is good for air quality locally (We get horrible inversions in the Boise area in the winter), the global impact seems more questionable. I have heard in a number of places and specifically remember an article in The Scientific American about 5 years ago, that it actually turns out to be a net loss in oil to produce ethanol by the time one figures in the fertilizer usage, farm diesel, processing, etc.

4. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

E85 And Hydrogen are net loss fuels However E85 as a supplemental fuel could be the enabling factor that facilitates obtaining more efficiecy from gasoline.In other words E85 could be a great acceleration fuel and gasoline would be the cruise fuel in an appropriately tuned atkinson engine

5. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

Turbo with refrigerant intercooling might work well with a Prius/Atkinson engine.There is some interesting info on refrigerant intercooling in a thread in the Garage forum at Minnesota Sport Compacts. There is also a product called Intracooler at Google that describes an aftermarket refrigerant intercooler. Hard to think of anything more effective at supressing detonation

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's said that the atkinson doesnt produce enough exhaust to spool the turbo

7. Whitey

Whitey New Member

A turbo with a single gear transmission, tied to an electronically controlled accelerator pedal. Let's think about this.

What would happen is that the engine would wind-up very quickly when stepping on the gas. Most likely, because the engine control module would not be reprogrammed, the axle would move at the appropriate speed that the accelerator pedal requires. But the engine would be generating more electricity while accelerating.

If you're driving and the ICE is running, you want the ICE driving the wheels. If it is generating electricity through the sun gear, then you are not driving efficiently (this is why you only get 29 MPG while coasting at 25 MPH if the ICE is running).

So, having a turbo charger without reprogramming the engine (or transmission) control module is useless. You will not accelerate any faster, only generate electricity faster.

8. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

obviously the prius would have to be reprogramed to use boost and a electric powered supercharger with refrigerant intercooling might be the best choice for boost in a prius

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what is the ultimate torque limit of the PSD? what is the ultimate torque limit of the Hi Vol drive chain, PSD to imtermiadiate reduction gear, in the differential?

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

When I read the title of this thread my first reaction was...

Question: What would a turbocharger do to a prius?

Answer: Turn it into NOT-A-Prius.

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just got my Prius today. It accelerates better than fine, don't need a supercharger

12. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

13. Vernon

Vernon New Member

According to the Oak Ridge report (cited in another post), the stock Prius ICE is already supercharged.