1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would cause a racing engine sound from a stop ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by imOCD4a_prius, Sep 6, 2012.

1. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Dear FRIENDS,
    2 days ago (Tues 9-4), as I went from a red-lite STOP to my usual pulse & glide exercise-a much
    louder than usual engine sound 'kicked in." This happened again & seemed to last even tho I was
    only going 35-40MPH. The car is just 5 weeks w/ me(60k) & I can best describe this as a racing
    engine sound, no speed excelleration, just racing motor sound HIGHER dbs than usual as i gently & lightly pessed the throttle ?? Immediate 'paranoya' set in as I dropped my wife off & searched for a Chevron station for some 'techtron' as I recently read is what a member uses quite often. Of course, like a cop, I couldn't find that name station when I needed 1 (just joking officer). Then, to add to
    my growing chest pains was a $4.29/gal price for the 93 'high test'. Well, I had to force-feed
    my sick-sounding Prius to a top-off of 4.6gal as i only had $20 cash on me. If I needed to use a
    CC I think it jumped a little to 9.99/gal & an I.O.U. made out to Tony Suprano. OK, I filled
    the 4.6gal & read my ode @ 247miles I'm guessing that was ok my mind was focussed only
    on the engine= I really wanted it (new high gas) all to blend in & hopefully run smooth
    again. Outside Temp=91*+ ; inside A/C running @ med; I do NOT have a car temp.
    gauge like my Dodge van so I can't tell u if 'she' was warmed up yet we were driving to many
    diff. places. I did NOT go anywhere yesterday nor today as yet. I did try to 'search' racing
    engine sound-got nothing so I'm making this a new thread. I cked the oil & other fluid levels as
    well. I appreciate any & all thoughts, & help a.s.a.p. as I am still apprehensive on causing
    ANY damage to my 'baby.' thankk you..DJ (1:25pm EDT)

2. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    PS Would this have anything to do w/ the 12-volt battery in the right rear of my trunk going south ?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sometimes when crossing between the EV to HV threshold with the hybrid/traction battery low, the engine will "race" higher than normal to provide both acceleration and recharging duties. Without hearing/experiencing this in person, it's very difficult for us to tell. If it happens frequently enough or you can reproduce it under repeatable circumstances, you might want to try and get it on video.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes. A weak 12v shows itself in many ways and this is just one.

imOCD4a_prius likes this.
  5. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ****Photomoto, Thanks 4 your 2 quick replies. much appreciated. Now if I can only find the URL (or thread HERE) on How to test the 12V ?? I thought i read here that 'Julia' was able to hook up her 12v to a battery charger she bought from Harbor Freight . . .am I able as well ?? Or, was that for a specific battery she bought that was stored on a cement floor. I'm sorry for not retaining all the facts. I read so much GREAT INFO here, i suffer from Info-overload. I already have 2-3 chargers lying around the house OR must I call my dealer & beg for a deal on a 12v ?? thanks 1:48pm thur)

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I understand what your writing and that's difficult because your posts are very hard to read are you using 93 octane gas?
    Prius is designed to use regular gas only. 87 octane. And Techtron fuel additive is no different than any other fuel additive.
    Go to any auto parts store there's literally hundreds to choose from and there all basically the same. No need to search that stuff out. And using that stuff really doesn't do much and will not fix a racing engine. What you need to do is clean the throttle body for starters.

And when any kind of engine or power issue go to the battery state of charge screen and see what the SOC is.
    That has everything to do with how the engine runs. The engine charges the battery by turning an mg.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This could just be a full state of charge (8 green bars spinning the engine to lower the charge) sounds like the engine racing.

8. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ***__fox5, FYI: I've used 87 octane only since I adapted my '07 on July 24th. Only 3 fillups since. My ONLY intention in using hi-test was my age-old-fashion thinking that 93 "0" would clean the 'lines.' I apologize as i do NOT know how to get to the state of charge screen. I will search, though. I do have 'musical ears' that do notice change in pitch weather it be a rough engine or a Yamaha synth so the pitch of my engine was immediately noticed & scarey. Somewhere here I read about ""What you need to do is clean the throttle body for starters."" This scares me. Yet, I WANT TO LEARN. is there a video ? Thanks 4 taking the time to quickly answer __fox5

9. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yES, I've been seeing those "full state of charge (8 green bars . . .) quite often as I demo to my wife how the gentle, loving touch of the breaks as we approach ANY red lights & SSigns, recharges the ICE (i think that's the Hybrid battery right?) So am I to think, after learning how to ck my 12v (both w/ no load & w a load) if that shows up in a NORMAL realm - I'm OK ??? thanks DJ

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you describe the sound a little better? Is the engine reving? Or is the exhaust sound different or is the transmission making the noise?

Note: keeping the battery charged to 8 bars all the time is not good for the battery and will lead to an expensive battery replacement sooner than later... Focus on Pulse and glide rather then pulse and regen...

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To check the 12v you can simply use a digital voltmeter (about $15 at walmart, parts store, etc) and measure at the battery posts after the car has been powered off for several hours. Voltage should be greater than 12.6 volts. IIRC, the genII prius can read the voltage on one of the MFD's but the car will need to be on (obviously) so you can't get a true "at rest" reading. Voltage should read 14.5ish with the car running (in ready mode).

12. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    "PC", Your word "revving'' seems a bullseye. A not-so-funny note is my wife asked--'could the transmission be going?' I wouldn't know how to determine TRANNY NOISE except, COME TO THINK OF IT, if it occured while the auto-trans was shifting ? That sounds like a stupid thing I just typed as i can only compare what I've known & heard from 1000's of miles w/ an analog car. Tho again, not to vbe redundant "revving" is the operative word i heard. thank you

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Welcome to the world of the CVT or as Toyota coins it PSD.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No the ICE is the internal combustion engine

15. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey photomoto, My mind draws a blank as to those acronyms, I just hope & pray I ain't SOL that's all.

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  17. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Than you "BP" for that vip correction I have duly noted. I know i should have gone st8 to our glossary here, I just wanted to comp-lete my reply. I guess I flunked my ICE test today. I'll try harder tomorrow.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We all have to learn sometime.

19. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  20. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ****Can that OEM 12v be recharged at a LOW Voltage overnight charging rate ????