1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would cause a spark plug to look like this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priuslyfe, Jan 29, 2024.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am hoping that the destroyed plug was the reason for the leak and not the valve cover. my hypothesis is this

A. Drove 50mph hit pothole got a flat....it was very violent and I thought my axle broke
    B. After replacing tire with spare and very poor acceleration (NO POWER) on highway which I attributed to the wheel issues however it might be that is when spark plug jarred and broke off at the tip
    C. Prius then drove OK for 2 months until very recently when maybe the oil really started to get to be too much in the cylinder. Then got the P0303 (3rd cylinder code misfire)
    D. Changed plug & coil; hopefully new plug will seal any oil incoming

cliffs: so it might not be fake DENSOs or anything like that...maybe just plug tip got hit in accident and came off allowing oil to go into the cylinder....we shall see.

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS IF POSSIBLE!!!!!

1. Is this from the jarring experience of hitting a pothole?

2. Should I expect any other issues or even this spark plug becoming nonfunctional again?

3. Is the lack of a spark plug tip the reason for the oil in the cylinder or did oil get in there first (via valve leak or other) and cause the spark plug tip to break?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 priuslyfe, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Gawd danged need to do something about that coil too clean it with some electrical contact cleaners and berryman spray something I would replace that nasty thing probably.

priuslyfe and Danno5060 like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you know if that plug was original, or, if not original, where it came from?

priuslyfe likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Those are the IK16 I've run a few of those and it's easy to get those in fakes too You have to be careful I even still have some of the boxes from those those are they're not the TT's they're the IK's I can't remember what the deal is with the IK designation nipondenso over the years have changed all their prefixes and whatnot.

priuslyfe likes this.
  5. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I replaced the ignition coil as well.

there is a good chance that this spark plug was a fake. I'm sure I bought if from the cheapest seller at the time online.

Cleared the codes and so far so good...no re-diagnosis of P0303

6. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Its pretty interesting that you can buy NGK spark plugs online for HALF the price at a retail store. Very likely mostly fakes are being sold online.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Might want to look with a borescope at the condition of the cylinder; sometimes the question with those fakes is where did the bits go that fell off?.

8. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I don't know if to what degree it broke off, it may have burned to a nub or it may have broken off completely as a whole. I suspect if there is any left it would be either at the bottom of the oil pan or exited with an oil change.

I am thinking that maybe I should just buy 3 more spark plugs at a retail store in the mindset that the current plugs are fakes.

I have to be prudent about how I decide to spend my time & money with this car. I'm pretty happy that its at 300K now and if I can get another 20K without expenses that would be fine as well.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What You should make it to 450k pretty easily unless you're HV battery craps out and then you just rebuild or get a rebuilt one I get them from his rebuild guy for 550 a pop I just exchange at his shop I hand him one he hands me when I drive off and maybe the brake actuator. But those are like the two most expensive things if the CM monitor or speedometer goes out you want it fixed correctly you get the one from the people at Texas hybrids it's like a buck 75 after all said and done or you can try to put three capacitors on yourself or what have you but that car should last almost another 300,000 All of my Toyota has made it to 400 450 all of them. I've been driving these things 45 years actually a little longer now. Anything after 2010 maybe not so much seems planned obsolescence and keen manufacturing and marketing is taking over and well they're just not what they were. I can make 2009s last me until the big change whenever that comes could be another 20 years '09's will last me no problem.

10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    1. You'll need a valve cover gasket kit to fix that leak into the spark plug well.
    2. What happened to the ground electrode for that spark plug? Is it still bouncing around in your cylinder or has it been ejected out?.

priuslyfe and PriusCamper like this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whatever goes into a cylinder from a spark plug hole is gonna be in there until it happens by sheer luck to bounce out an open valve into the exhaust or intake. The oil pan isn't a place it'll end up, unless it gets pulverized first finely enough to get past the piston rings. (Or, a big enough piece of debris might get there by busting through a piston, but I think that'd have to be bigger than a spark plug electrode.)

priuslyfe likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacing valve cover gasket is what I'm seeing... You likely have an engine that didn't get an oil change very often. Maybe an engine flush before an oil change would help, as well as changing oil a few time with more engine flush in next 10K miles. I wouldn't be too concerned about the other problems people are talking about unless it still runs rough on a new set of plugs.

13. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

but why would there be oil in only one cylinder IF the valve gasket was bad? I don't mind doing a replacement but gonna wait til its warmer so maybe in a couple of months.

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whenever I've pulled a plug from a failed valve cover gasket there's fresh oil on the inside of the plug as well as on the outside. And I agree that it doesn't make sense that the oil could leak through the threads, but that's what I've seen. I suspect there's a logical explanation for it though.

priuslyfe likes this.
  15. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks. Considering the weather, I am going to drive for 500 miles and pay attention to the mileage, oil level. i'll then check the 3rd cylinder and coil again to see if there is oil buildup.

#15 priuslyfe, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    Brian1954 likes this.
  16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One of the o-rings that goes around the spark plug wells is just compromised and it's leaking no big deal it's just a piece of rubber not real special when it gets hard and ate up from thousands and thousands of miles it's tends to shrink and oil will seep in there now you're going to slap a new $9 fell pro gasket down and not going to give a crap about it anymore. Then you could take a magnet on the end of an extension a pickup tool and stick it down the spark plug hole with the spark plug removed and see if you pick up any pieces of metal when you swirl it around in a little bit You could even bring the piston up to the top so if the piece of garbage is way down in the bottom it'll now be closer to you you know the little magnet on the gooseneck is what we want to be using here You rotate the engine around by the crankshaft pulley with a screwdriver stuck in the number whatever hole it is and watch the screwdriver raise up out of the hole to indicate the piston is at top dead center any little pieces of nonsense down in there should now be real close to you stick the gooseneck magnet in the whole and running around carefully pull it out of the hole see what you got do it once or twice if you get nothing no worries.

priuslyfe likes this.
  17. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    thanks.

thats a good idea. thing is I'm hoping its just disintegrated by heat and gone altogether. gonna wait and see if coil is oily again and if its not I'm good to go...I hope.

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That gasket's probably never been replaced so it's long overdue It is not a permanent part keep that in mind

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    priuslyfe likes this.
  20. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    thank you.

Working on my car in the cold is such a downer I'd like to put it off until April but if need be I'll do it. In fact I think the spate of cold weather Ohio has had (like sub-freezing for at least 2 weeks straight) has affected the integrity of the valve cover gasket aside from other factors.

have you replaced this part before on a Gen 2 Prius? What is a conservative time-estimate to complete this in cold weather and other than the gasket & sealant would any other parts/processes make this faster to complete?