1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would happen if the fob goes away?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tickwood, Aug 21, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    SS/SE means

Smart Start/Smart Entry

the fob sends out a signal that sensors in the car detect. so all you need is have the fob in your pocket and the doors will unlock when you touch the handle. then you get in, buckle up and go. no need to remove the fob from your pocket.

if you dont have the SS/SE then the fob acts as the remote unlock like normal cars except that instead of having a separate key, you use the fob instead. so yes the fob fits into the slot on the dash. the fob is about the size of a matchbox or about the same as any remote.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave, You forgot that the SS/SE is way cool.

3. exces6

exces6 New Member

I wish I could get SS/SE with the 6-CD in-dash CD player without getting a hugely expensive package.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree with ya... with the hefty cost of the DVD nav system, i was disappointed that it wasnt offered as an addon.

i think the only reason they did it that way is because it wouldnt have sold nearly as much on its own.

and henry, i know its cool that is no doubt. just freaking people out who dont know about it is worth the price of admission. offer someone the chance to test drive it without giving them a key... it busts me up everytime!@!

5. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I picked up my car I put the extra fob in my brief case. When I checked out of the hotel the next morning to head home I put the luggage in the back. I had a few errands to run and at the first stop I got the long beep and could not lock the door, so I did it with the fob lock button and had to unlock it the same way. Second stop same thing. Why wouldn't this car lock. Broken on the first day. :cry: So I got the manual out and it dawned on me. The second fob was in the car!! I got it out and put it in my pocket with the other and all was well. My father never told me I would have to debug a car.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having to carry two fobs on you defeats the purpose of having two in the first place.

there was a thread on this forum where some wrapped the extra fob in aluminum, and one even used one of those tins that mints come in and that effectively blocked the signal.

of course, i debate the ??wiseness?? of leaving the extra fob in the car...(is that a word??)

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having to carry two fobs on you defeats the purpose of having two in the first place.

there was a thread on this forum where some wrapped the extra fob in aluminum, and one even used one of those tins that mints come in and that effectively blocked the signal.

of course, i debate the ??wisdom?? of leaving the extra fob in the car...

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe Henry was talking about getting the car (and his two fobs) home from the dealership the day he bought it.

10. Bite

Bite New Member

SE/SS uses a special fob and sensors to make getting into and starting your car quicker and easier. You just need to keep the fob in your pocket or purse. When you walk up to the drivers door and reach to open it, it trips a sensor that tests if your fob is authorized to enter the vehicle. If you are (so no one else with a similar fob can enter), it unlocks the door. When you sit down in the seat, another sensor detects your fob and authorizes you to start the vehicle with the Start button.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/prius/...mart_entry.html

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep. Put it in the brief case and forgot it. Seamed like a good idea at the time. It sits with the extra keys at home now. I would think that any thing that would create a good Faraday box would kill the signal and if you needed to leave the fob for someone else to pick up the car you could do it that way and send, give or hide the physical key. Any one know where you can get a plastic key. I had one for a previous car. It came with the car and folded into a credit card for fitting in to your wallet. That would be a good way to pass a key to someone in that sort of situation.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    AAA last I knew. Don't know if they can make a Prii key.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Toyota will send you a plastic "credit card" key that can be taken to the dealer and a key cut from that.

obviously it will not start the car, but it will at least open the door.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have a regular key cut by a locksmith. Then take a hacksaw and cut off the "handle" of the key. You now have a key small enough to fit easily in your wallet for emergencies. I did this with my Civic. However, in the case of the Prius, it would only get you into the car, not start it. So what's the point?