1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would PETA folks do if they got tapeworm?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dipper, Jul 6, 2006.

1. dipper

dipper Senior Member

If say someone played a cruel joke at them and put tampeworm eggs into their salad.

Now how would they go about resolving this?

Would they?

(a) see the doctor and kill it?
    (B) leave it there because the tapeworm has much right to be there in the first place?

Imagine the conflict within.
    If they take route (B), they will be crazy but plays by the rules they preach.
    If they take route (a), they are no better as they are poisoning and killing an animal in their habitat.

So what would you do as PETA?

:lol:

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually it's not that bizarre. I saw some pictures of a bobcat that was caught by some monks (I forget which religion). Their order forbade them to kill living things, but there was nothing in the rulebook about torturing so that it died on its own. :(

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they'd have a doctor take care of it. Just like they'd see a doctor and take medical treatment for anything else.

After all, their 2nd in command uses insulin. Her justification - Her life is too important in the fight for animal rights to not take it.

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but PETA takes it too far and are only a step away from being a terrorist organization. Anyone who supports PETA should think twice. They're a bunch of loons who think we shouldn't even have pets and that ALL animals should roam free.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Jul 6 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]282134[/snapback]</div>
    My subspecialty is liver transplant. I give talks about medical ethics and stuff at my local high school - where you can seen some early PETA buds budding.

So I propose the following question, "If your mother or father or brother or you were dying of liver disease and the only way you/they could be saved would be to take the liver from an ape/chimp and give it to them/you causing the animal to die (painlessly) would you?

Initially some say no - eventually they all say yes.

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]282140[/snapback]</div>
    That's pretty twisted. If you torture it to the point that it dies, didn't you actually kill it?

If I cut your arm, you may not die right away, but without treatment if you keep losing blood, you'll eventually die. But I guess in this religious groups thinking, I wouldn't be guilty of murder as my cutting you didn't directly cause your death?

My head hurts from that stupidity :blink:

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maytrix @ Jul 6 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]282144[/snapback]</div>
    I'm reminded of one of the the I, Robot stories (Little Lost Robot), where the First Law had been changed to simply A robot may not harm a human being, (removing or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm). The problem was that the robot could drop a box over your head. To the robot's way of thinking, it was the box that killed you, not the robot.

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Loose weight and become trim and healthy again, have asthma sympthoms subside, etc? Or I'm thinking about hookworm?

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 6 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]282140[/snapback]</div>
    Wasn't this supposed to be one of the stipulations of the Crusades: they could not spill blood? So they developed and perfected methods for torturing without cutting. Also poking with hot pokers which immediately cauderized the wound thus spilling no blood.

I can't recall where, but I think I remember hearing that once some time ago.

9. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 6 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]282153[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure why PETA would care about that. Do the bulls actually get hurt? I think it's the people that don't get out of their way so quick that take the beating. And PETA doesn't care about people - just animals.

10. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maytrix @ Jul 6 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]282180[/snapback]</div>

The run is prelude to bullfighting; hence it is maltreatment according to PETA...

11. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 6 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]282175[/snapback]</div>
    Close, but it wasn't the Crusades. It was the Inquisition.

That was one of the reasons that burning at the stake was so popular. (Well, not popular with those being burned.) It inflicted death without spilling blood.

All for the glory of God.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think they'd have any trouble with killing it.

They take adoptable dogs and cats from animal shelters and kill them (and dump the bodies in dumpsters) to 'save' them from a life of slavery.

Call the tapeworm a pet and they'd kill it in a second.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 6 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]282140[/snapback]</div>
    This sounds like an urban myth to me. No reference to where, or what religion, or which monestary. Plenty of people torture animals. It wouldn't surprise me if Christian monks had caught a bobcat and tortured it to death. But the implication that this was a religion that "forbids killing living things" and yet permits torturing them, sounds like someone's just trying to discredit en masse all life-respecting religions.

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 6 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]282321[/snapback]</div>
    Did you really mean this?

Back to OP. This question is really kind of dumb....like "If God is all powerful...can he make an object so heavy that even he could not lift it".

There is something in the Bible about asking "foolish questions". Also, tapeworm is not an animal. I have never heard PETA oppose stepping on ants, killing spiders, etc.

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 6 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]282321[/snapback]</div>
    It would make me happy if it were only an urban legend. The photo was not in a newspaper or on the 'net but was part of a photo essay at the local Natural History Museum that my wife and I saw at least a dozen years ago. The bobcat had it's head in a gas can and the information that I told you was the caption under the photo. The bobcat had been after the chickens and it was caught. I wish I could be more exact as to where this took place, but I'm trying to forget it.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Jul 6 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]282356[/snapback]</div>
    No, I suppose Christians only torture humans, not dumb animals.

Hint: crusades, inquisition, witch-burnings, Wounded Knee, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, dropping napalm on villages, S.O.A., al Graeb, not to mention the Nazis (who were Christians), the Afrikaners (also Christians), and on and on ...

As for the bobcat photo, the photo might well be real, but who was it decided that the people who did it subscribed to a religion that "opposes all killing ... but allows torturing an animal so that it will die" ?

17. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 6 2006, 11:04 PM) [snapback]282454[/snapback]</div>
    The person who took the picture, it was they who wrote the caption. I would hope they knew what they were talking about. They went to the monastery to take pictures and wanted to know what was going on. I also remember that the bobcat hadn't died yet (the photographer and crew took it), but it died shortly after.

Hey, that image burned into my mind, I'm not happy about it. It related to this topic in that you have a group that is opposed to killing, yet is able to find a handy workaround.

18. EricGo

EricGo New Member

In the grand stakes of most hypocritical organization -- PETA or christianity -- I pick christianity hands down.

But then I only know enough about PETA to think it's members usually have good intentions, sometimes are silly, and occasionaly are stupid. Christianity, on the other hand, has an unparalleled mountain of gore and misery it preaches from.

I should probably clarify that individual christians can be, and often are outstanding people. Which does not contradict the facts of the institutions's history.

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius