1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Would You Do? 2010 Failing Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by soily, May 7, 2021.

1. soily

soily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi all! First time caller, long time listener ;)

So recently I've been doing maintenance (struts, plugs, 12v, coolant, egr, tranny fluid, brake fluid, MAF, and HV fan) on my 2010 Prius w/ 150k miles. I'm fixing to go on a long trip (2 or 3 weeks across America) and want to make sure I don't have any problems. The previous owner (I bought it with approx 130k miles) had a dog and the HV fan had 1/4" of dog hair in it which got me worried about the condition of the traction battery. So I bought an OBDII reader and the Dr. Prius app which confirmed my fears of battery degradation. The app said I have 37% battery life which according to their standards is failing. The system isn't throwing any codes yet and I'm getting between 43 and 45 mpg in the summer. My question is, would y'all try to recondition the battery using the Prolong system or just buy a new battery? I have a hard time stomach paying 700 bucks for the prolong system when I could buy a new battery from newpriusbatteries for 1600. At the same time, I don't want to throw money at a problem that doesn't yet exist. I also don't want that problem to pop up in the middle of my road trip. I plan on owning this vehicle for as long as possible.

Thanks!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did the prolong route and found other members in my surrounding area to split the cost of the gather and discharger with;).

Worked for us:).

Our old 2010 had the harness installed at 149k miles and it helped improve the performance of the battery(y).