1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would you do with it if you could get it...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, May 21, 2006.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like Amory Lovins and the Rocky Mountain Institute's take on climate change. Whether human input is the cause or not does not matter. Climate change is genuine and measured. Whether you "believe" climate change is genuine or not, if you double your efficiency, you double your profit or income and cut your costs by one-half.

Other than being a vested interest tied to the status quo, every rational person would readily "double their profit. So what is the problem?

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Wildkow,
    Heh... thanks for the links... I'll definitely have to take a look at them.

And MS:

Here's one point I was trying to make (and I'm sure in some way or form it could apply to me and some of my opinions here on PC... but anyways I digress):

If you don't take any of our positions and arguments seriously, how do you propose we take any of yours seriously?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 23 2006, 04:29 AM) [snapback]259618[/snapback]</div>

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would like to see the presidential, congress, senate & judicial employees that make 200k & above take a pay cut to 150k and cap the wages at that point.

Does anyone know what the president, vice-president, thier employees & congress the senate ect. make a year?

Limit them to driving hybrid cars except the presidential limos..

Its seems funny to retire as pres. and finnish life as a millionare..

O/T: I was discussing politics with my Liberal brother in-law, he said he was amazed that I had turned into a Moderate Republican.. I said yeah change is good some times.. ;)

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ May 23 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]259875[/snapback]</div>
    Some I take seriously, others I don't, some I'm shocked and appalled at, others I'm not... You can take me anyway you want ( :lol: ) I've placed no demands, nor expectations, upon anyone or anything, defined or not! :D It is an open forum, and a lot of times, I write precisely what I think, uncensored, uncut, and unedited, non-politically correct, except when I feel something or other might go too far ( :lol: ), and even then... Most people here will never change their leanings because of political arguments, no matter how much "evidence" is ejaculated into their faces.

As for the bashing though, geez, the RIGHT, and Catholicism, have been bashed so much on this board, we're floating about a 50:1 against... :lol:

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Thanks for the insight, Squid (no that's not sarcasm). I apologize for any times I've been hypocritical in my views (in reference to your last statement).

6. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ May 23 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]259901[/snapback]</div>
    Please don't!

Why is hypocrisy is overrated anyway. I see no real reason why it's considered "bad" other than because everyone else thinks it's bad... :rolleyes:

:D

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some I take seriously, others I don't, some I'm shocked and appalled at, others I'm not... You can take me anyway you want ( ) I've placed no demands, nor expectations, upon anyone or anything, defined or not! It is an open forum, and a lot of times, I write precisely what I think, uncensored, uncut, and unedited, non-politically correct, except when I feel something or other might go too far ( ), and even then... Most people here will never change their leanings because of political arguments, no matter how much "evidence" is ejaculated into their faces.

As for the bashing though, geez, the RIGHT, and Catholicism, have been bashed so much on this board, we're floating about a 50:1 against...

Geeze is this a true statement or what?.... :mellow:

Lets just say that this country was turned to the far liberal left, the libs got everything they wanted. Where would we be in 10 years? I'll let [you] answer this question.. ;)

All the republicans, independents & everyone who didnt see things the Liberal way, would have to be asimalated like the borg into the Liberal mind set. :blink: :ph34r: :mellow:

Then we could go and outlaw SUVs and anything bigger than a Hilander unless its a hybrid or liberal approved vehicle.. :angry: What a perfect place this would be, we could skip merrilly to the park and breath the fresh polleny air. :)

Then we could copy our govement to France & all live happily ever after.... What cha think?

I wonder how many non liberals drive Hybrids?
    I wonder how many non liberals we have here on PC?
    From the looks of the bashing on this board I would say 90% are liberal & 10% non liberal? :unsure:

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ May 23 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]259852[/snapback]</div>

You're either new, or not paying attention. Prius Chat is primarily liberal, and Bush bashing is the boards official pasttime. I'm not pointing to any particular post in this thread, or to you specifically. If you have a guilt complex about it, maybe that's why you reacted this way.

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member

It would be a futile mental exercise. One could turn it any way they want to (as you did with your hippity dippity view of what would happen). I think the nation is better off more left than right, but you will disagree. Completely to the far left... I don't know man... I can't answer such a question. Personally, I hate the ways we can label ourselves (liberal, conservative, etc)... but this is human nature. I go by the liberal label because more often than not my views fit liberal ideology... however that can be defined. And "liberal" in the political sense means a somewhat different thing than liberal as defined in a dictionary.

About your SUV statement... if there is sufficient evidence to, without any doubt whatsoever, show that human-enhanced global warming IS posing a serious threat, then YES... SUV use MUST be restricted. If global warming due to humans was essentially "PROVEN," then it would be asinine, arrogant, and idiotic for anyone to be driving fuel inefficient vehicles when more fuel efficient vehicles better fit their needs. In such a hypothetical scenario... I think it would be the "SUV drivers" or whatever you want to call them who would be living in their own hippity dippity doodah happy hippie world (imagine an SUV driver smoking a cigarette saying FREE CHOICE BABYYY!!!!)... in that hypothetical situation it would be people like you who'd be be the "hippies" of the future.

Also, the Republican and Democratic parties have shifted significantly over the past 100 years... more so within the past 40 years. The Republican electorate were the liberals of back then... more Republicans were fighting for civil rights, and Democrats

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 23 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]259927[/snapback]</div>

-------------
    Dude, I think my latest response to Mystery Squid completely negates your post.... at least in my case.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]259944[/snapback]</div>

10. Mirza

Mirza New Member

-My response was directed to Mystery Squid, who posted a counter... to which I had accepted...and which you and priusguy04 in your (perhaps angered and retortful) response COMPLETELY overlooked... the rest is history... so now who's the one not paying attention?

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ May 23 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]259948[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm , I didnt think I was trying to push your buttons Mirza, but apperently I did.....

My questions are directed to everyone and not singling out anyone person...

1. Lets just say that this country was turned to the far liberal left, the libs got everything they wanted. Where would we be in 10 years? I'll let [you] answer this question..
    Then all the republicans, independents & everyone who didnt see things the Liberal way, would of course have to be asimalated like the borg into the Liberal mind set.
    Then we could go and outlaw SUVs and anything bigger than a Hilander unless its a hybrid or liberal approved vehicle.. What a perfect place this would be, we could skip merrilly to the park and breath the fresh polleny air. :rolleyes: Then we could copy our govement to the France way of governing & all live happily ever after with our rose colored glasses on .... What cha think? ;)

I wonder how many non liberals drive Hybrids?

I wonder how many non liberals we have here on PC?

Becides this threads asking what liberals would do if they could run this country & how they would do it????? :huh:

12. dogtrainer

dogtrainer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 23 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]259992[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to see in the next administration...... the end to welfare , get a JOB..less taxes, less social programs, more jobs better pay, and a stronger military and a stronger stance against all terrorism

13. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogtrainer @ May 23 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]260001[/snapback]</div>
    Workfare rather than welfare for all who receive... with an exception for only a very few who really can't work but still need benefits. A great majority who get benefits could do something for some number of hours to qualify for their check. Perhaps these jobs (sweeping sidewalks, painting curbs, or something) to benefit the community would be enough to make people decide to get a better job than working for the welfare system.

That would get them off the system, or at least get something done for the community in return for the $ spent.

Is that the end to welfare?

Or, did you just mean to stop paying and let the chips fall where they may.

Ending welfare is more of a conservative thing I think. They don't do it because they'd never hear the end of the outcry from "People with Rights to Welfare".

I'm very much in support for ending welfare. Any ideas on how to do it, or how someone could politically survive doing it?

Great idea!

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Workfare rather than welfare for all who receive... with an exception for only a very few who really can't work but still need benefits. A great majority who get benefits could do something for some number of hours to qualify for their check. Perhaps these jobs (sweeping sidewalks, painting curbs, or something) to benefit the community would be enough to make people decide to get a better job than working for the welfare system.

Wow :eek: that was GREAT!!!! :D :D

I see it all the time.... I agree! oh and put a limit on the number of children single mothers can have to like 1-2 not 5..! B)

15. Mirza

Mirza New Member

priusguy04... I didn't notice the [you] command till now :D Sorry! The way it read was Mirza... as in directed only at me.

So if the Republican/conservative viewpoint in terms of welfare emphasizes the individual's responsibility, does that make the Democratic/liberal viewpoint (for stuff like welfare) emphasize circumstance? Is welfare considered a "liberal" thing? Or one that liberals are more likely to support?

dogtrainer:

One of my Republican friends told me that the US military budget was at least 10 times that of the next country's spending... isn't that more than enough? That's where I disagree the most with ya (respectfully, of course). Where the heck is all that money going?!

Let me put it this way... why can't there be any in betweens 'in between' liberal and conservative idealogies? Couldn't there be some social programs that are good, and some that are not so good (for example)? This is one of those things I really dislike about the liberal/conservative split.

16. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ May 23 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]260089[/snapback]</div>
    Mirza, since I am in the military, I can tell you where all the money is going to. I mentioned this in this thread. It is going to military contractors. In my clinic, the government is giving the contractor, $200,000 hire a physician. This contractor is giving the physician $120,000 and keeping $80,000. $80,000! For what? For drawing up a contract and checking weekly time sheets. Oh, and a 'free' dinner once a year. The military budget has increased in 2006 to almost 442 billion from 289 billion in 2000. This does NOT include the money spent on the War on Terror. Plus, the military, including the Air Force, which I am in , has cut forces. More money, less people. Contractors, yes like Bechtel and Halliburton, are sucking up the money.

You can see from the below graph, we are spending plenty of money on the military.

[attachmentid=3593]

17. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 23 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]259880[/snapback]</div>
    I am going to agree with you on this post!!! :) See, the one thing that open minded people can do is listen to a point of view and actually agree. Most of the members from the Right will rarely agree to anything anyone of us on the Left say.

It was totally asinine to have our Congressmen give speaches about gas prices then drive away in SUV's a few weeks ago.

Thank you priusguy04, change is good sometimes.

(BTW, many of you have labeled me a Liberal and I am left leaning; however, I actually have conservative views on fiscal responsibility, welfare reform (I believe in workfare) and limiting the size of government. I was much more moderate in the 1990's, but the neo-cons have driven me further left. I was actually thinking of voting for McCain in 2000 until Bush.....oops, no Bush bashing! My bad :) )

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cameron @ May 23 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]259821[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of avatars . . . Cameron, if you have a 2006 Prius, why do you have and avatar of an '04-'05? (no hybrid badge on front quarter panel.)
    [​IMG] Just curious. No accusations. :huh:

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 24 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]260139[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, time out!!!

Someone else pulled this on me before...

First of all, it measures only ONE year.

Secondly, we're currently engaged in two public wars, no kidding we'll be spending tons on the war effort!

Thirdly, how many of the countries on that list are also engaged in wars, relatively equivalent to us?

20. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 23 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]259927[/snapback]</div>
    We have at least two polls on political leanings the last 8 months (you can retrieve them). If I remember right, depending on how you read the responses (there were more than two choices), the division on the most-responded-to poll was about 65% "liberal"/35% "conservative".

The last couple of months, though, at least as many new members who have taken up posting on FHOP have been "right" as "left", if not more. So that gap has narrowed a bit.