1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would you purchase and why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Maytrix, Nov 2, 2005.

?
  1. Toyota - They make a reliable product

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Toyota - I only buy foreign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Toyota - They are a green company

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. GM/Ford - They make a reliable product

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. GM/Ford - I only buy American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. GM/Ford - They are a green company

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other Foreign - They make a reliable product

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other Foreign - I only buy foreign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other Foreign - They are a green company

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other American - They make a reliable product

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Other American - I only buy American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other American - They are a green company

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I'll buy from anyone that makes a proven and reliable product

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Other - Please explain in post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    A few years ago I would've said, "all other things being equal, I'd buy American first". No longer.

All other things equal, I'd give Toyota the business first now.

Toyota has won my "loyalty" by successfully introducing this automotive miracle.
    With thousands on the road now, the world's already a better place.

Even if they sell Land Cruisers and Sequoias, to some extent it was the profits from the rest of their product line, and Toyota CHOOSING to pour a lot into R & D for the Prius, that made the whole thing fly.

How many car companies have earned loyalty in this way?

2. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I always buy my cars from companies that make proven and reliable products. That's why I've never bought American cars, only Japanese and European. Buying a green cars is very important to me but I can't afford to but a green but unreliable car.

3. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I'll buy from anyone who can offer the highest MPG and cleanest emissions. American automakers have a long way to go to earn my trust and money.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would buy American if they made a great Hybrid. However, I will NEVER buy from China. B)

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why is GM paired with Ford?

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice to see you back, Jack. Very eloquently stated, too bad American car companies cannot mend their ways.

7. Emma

Emma New Member

I voted "Other."
    I just bought my Prius 5 weeks, two days ago.
    This is the first Toyota I have owned.
    I chose it because of Toyota's track record (reputation, reliability, resale) AND because it's one of the greenest vehicles available in the U.S. today.
    My other vehicles were a 1983 VW Rabbit, a 1988 Honda Civic, and a 1994 Honda Civic.
    My priorities haven't changed...but the products available have.

8. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Nov 2 2005, 06:37 PM) [snapback]149615[/snapback]</div>
    BUT: aren't all Prii made in Japan? And the one North American plant for hybrids, I thought I read, was going to be for the Camrys??? :blink: (I seem to remember this in some story about Prius backlogs, and how it got slightly worse lately because of some of the capacity going over to Camry, but that it'll get better again once they, um, farm out :rolleyes: the Camrys to North America...)
    Or not...
    And I voted for anyone who makes a good, reliable EFFICIENT product. That said, in my 30 years of driving, I have only ever owned Hondas and Toyotas--I like small cars and Americans just don't do them very well. I am 5' tall, and even self-proclaimed sub-compact cars of the American variety have shoulder seat belt straps that cut into my neck. I haven';t noticed any American cars in the same price range as the Prius that has the shoulder belt adjustable up/down like the Prius does (and mine just stays all the way down). Sorry, but I am NOT supersized. And I've gotten too fond of comfort in my creaky (getting) old(er) age. Prius is high enough I don't have to bend in half to get in and out, and yet it is a decent size--it is only about 2-3" longer and wider than my '91 Acura 3 door (HB), so it falls within my limited definition of a small enough car. I don't think I am likely, at this rate, to ever own an American car. I waited, what, 6 years?, since the Hybrids started over here to see how the technology would hold up (AND I wanted a hatchback!). I now have sufficient data, plus a REALLY LONG warranty to back it up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Out of all of my cars, I wrecked one and sold all the rest, with lots and lots of miles on the dials and plenty of get up and go still remaining.

What is coming 10-20 years down the line? I do not know, but it'd have to be something pretty spectacular to make me seriously consider anything but Japanese, given my last 30 years of experience.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 9 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]268938[/snapback]</div>
    How can you judge American cars having never owned one?

11. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    toyota, honda, nissan, basically most of the japanese cars
    prob not mazda, mitsub
    reliable one

12. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

I don't think I'll ever buy another American made car again. Unreliable and generally just doesn't get the point about economy these days. It also just doesn't "feel" right. Doors clink when they should clunk. Never feels like quality. Japanese is a step up generally in qualitative "feel". German and somewhat swedish (volvo/saab) seems to be the ultimate in just feeling like a solid car.

All this said, my 99 BMW is in semi-retirement due to it's paltry 23 MPG while I now drive my Prius to work. When I do drive the BMW, I do notice that it still feels more solid, definitely more of a performance vehicle. I got the Prius to save $$$ on gas and to reduce our dependance on a limited resource (OK, it was mostly the $$$) but if BMW or Saab had a hybrid I would have definitley considered them first.

13. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jun 9 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]269024[/snapback]</div>
    I can't really judge American cars since I can only own one at a time and tend to keep them for a l-o-n-g time. Therefore, I tend to rely on published resources to help me.

Take a look at the April issue of Consumer Reports and check out:

Recommended new vehicles
    Recommended used vehicles
    Used vehicles to avoid
    Reliability ratings for all cars
    Most satisfying cars (BTW 2004 Prius was 94%, 2005 Prius was 95%)
    Least satisfying cars
    Reliability by brand (1- to 8-year-old cars)
    5-year reliability checkup

American cars have made progress over the years (European cars, especially Volkswagens, don't fare well), but Toyota and Honda pretty much blow everyone else out of the water. Some people may not like the way Consumer Reports tests things, but at least they test each car the same way so you can compare them. I happen to place a lot of stock in what they report, and reliability is a big reason I have stuck with Honda and Toyota. The high mileage on the Prius was a big attraction, but the fact that it went from compact to midsize, had high seats (so my mom could easily get in and out), and was a hatchback sealed the deal for us. I would not have bought ANY hybrid if it were the first model year, but Toyota had 6 years of hybrid experience under their belts when they came out with the Hybrid Synergy Drive. I eagerly await the plug-in version!

BTW one of my sisters was very large and had a 1990 Buick Park Avenue. I absolutely HATED the mushy ride (which I've experienced in other American cars I've driven/ridden in), the back seat was excruciatingly uncomfortable on a long trip (lack of legroom and seat support), and I couldn't wait to get back into my own car.

14. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

I have always had at least one American made vehicle, pickup...need to try and support our countrys companies and its workers, etc...have owned a Sienna van since late 03, new body style, and have been totally impressed and satisfied with both the vehicle and the service...they treat my wife great, unlike local Chevy dealer...with the world as it is, and reading forums such as these and publications, I am going to part ways with my truck and trade it on a Prius this week...not feeling great about it (until I fill my tank up for the first time, should see more than 400% gain).. didn't know how to feel about Toyota fielding a NASCAR team either..but technology/reliability/service/eco-friendliness/gas mileage/no american product as competition has made up my mind for me. In the future if an American company can produce a viable alternative that meets those standards, then I will once again buy American...BTW recently retired Army combat Soldier...Happy Birthday Army...

15. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San Diego Steve @ Jun 10 2006, 02:33 AM) [snapback]269089[/snapback]</div>
    Do you realize SAAB is GM?

And on topic...I can't afford to have a car that isn't reliable. I'm a single girl with a full time job, I'll spend more if it means not breaking down on the side of the road. I drove a Ford Truck for 2 years in high school, and if I needed a truck, I would have considered a Ford. But I don't need a truck...I need a reliable, versatile car. Today I am hauling 8 river chairs (fancy innertubes with cupholders), pasta salad for 40, my laundry for the last two weeks, my sister, and possible a couple other people and a cooler. I won't drive a station wagon unless I have to (aka when kids are an issue down the road)...and I'm in the city when it snows...so I don't need 4 wheel drive. So today I make a political statement as I drive up to my friend's house in Front Royal, I will be in a sea of Ford Trucks (the guys) and Ford Explorers (the women).

Until a US company can make a reliable, fuel efficient, adorable car....I'll drive a Toyota. I would drive the Chevy HHR if it were more fuel efficient and reliable. And I'd still be in trouble with my friends...for driving a Chevy....which is almost as evil to them as Toyota. But perhaps then I wouldn't get asked how the hamsters are doing.

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jun 9 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]269024[/snapback]</div>
    Do you need to hold your hand on a hot stove to learn you don't want to do that, or can you learn by example? I can.

Oh, and you might also notice I said earlier: "And I voted for anyone who makes a good, reliable EFFICIENT product. That said, in my 30 years of driving, I have only ever owned Hondas and Toyotas--I like small cars and Americans just don't do them very well. I am 5' tall, and even self-proclaimed sub-compact cars of the American variety have shoulder seat belt straps that cut into my neck. I haven';t noticed any American cars in the same price range as the Prius that has the shoulder belt adjustable up/down like the Prius does" No, I have not sat in every single american car. I don't have to to be certain I have made a fully informed choice. Maybe I should look for a Pinto, if I want a fine example of America's know-how in the not big honkin huge frickin' car market (and I learned how to drive a stick on one of them--it didn't belong to me, but it did belong to a friend--but I guess that doesn't count, does it?)

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

How many times can Detroit burn you before you’ve had enough? :(
    IMO, there just like the tobacco companies, they don’t have your interest anywhere on there agenda. :eek:

Well I had enough two decades ago. I’ll never buy American again. :(

Who was it that said something on the order of doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different answer? :eek:

Detroit ..... NEVER AGAIN!

I think I’m getting out of control, I’ll just stop here. :D B)

18. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jun 10 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]269117[/snapback]</div>
    First of all gunner THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! :)

I'm sure you will love your Prius, you'll find there are many more fun things to do besides visit repair shops and buy gas. :lol:

As for the poll, there should be a choice "Toyota/Honda/Subaru/KIA... I only buy American made" :ph34r:

19. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 9 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]268938[/snapback]</div>
    The story I saw wasn't over a Prius plant, but over a plant that makes typical cars. I think it was the plant in KY that makes Camrys.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My choice is not on the poll:

I demand reliability, safety, low emissions, and comfort. Today, the Prius is the clear choice. Other things being equal, I'd prefer to buy locally (Spokane rather than Detroit, if there were a plant here; Detroit rather than Japan, etc.) But other things are not equal: The big American companies have a long history of greed, unacceptable quality, and contempt for the safety of drivers and the environment. It would take a miracle for them to change enough to win back my loyalty.

I have owned 4 cars in about 30 years. The first two were American, and were crap! The next two were Japanese (Civic and Prius) and have never given me one single problem. I was very reluctant to buy a Toyota after my great experience with Honda, but I switched because Toyota came out with such a superior car. If GM comes out with a better car, I'll buy it. I just don't believe they ever will, because they are too greedy to invest in the necessary quality control, and too committed to gas-guzzlers to invest in realistic alternatives. (Why did they crush all the EV-1's rather than permit the leasees to buy them???) Hydrogen is not an alternative fuel unless you use wind or solar to produce it, and then you'd be better off with BEV's, as Darell has so often pointed out, or PHEV's for a compromise between range and reasonable electric usage.

I expect my next car to be another Prius. But if another company comes out with something better, I'll go there. Hey, three years ago I thought I'd be driving Hondas for the rest of my life.