1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What you don't like about your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by txl146, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry if there's a little bit but the part I'm worried is if the condensation is dense enough that it's scattering or obscuring the headlight. Then we have a problem. Then again, we have plenty of members in the Bay area and I don't recall any of them having condensation inside the headlight.

2. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a 2005 and liked it a lot. I like the 2011 Blue Ribbon even better. With over 2000 miles I am getting 61.5 MPG on the current tank and 58.8 since I got the car a month ago. I tried to think of something I didn't like about it but can't.

3. yabi

yabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius Three has a single, driver side, auto door unlock/lock by the electronic key fob. As I understand, the Prius Four and Five have it for driver, passenger, and trunk. I can personally confirm this with the Five ;)

Hope this helps =0)

4. yabi

yabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Only have about 560 miles on the car but here are my complaints:

• Sun glare on the Navigation system.
    • No coin tray or organizer.
    • No way to connect a cargo net in the back for small bags/groceries.
    • Navigation does not post directions on HUD.
    • The button to enable/disable the heated seats seems out of the way and difficult to operate when focusing on the road.
    • Seems difficult to navigate XM channels compared to previous cars I've owned. (have not attempted AM/FM)
    • Attracts ***hole drivers.

Luckly, most of these things can be resolved with aftermarket accessories. In all, my complaints are minor. :p

5. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The bluetooth delay is annoying and the cheap stock plastic steering wheel is like a brick to hold. I did order a JDM steering wheel with leather ...its on the way.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I thought that the Head Up Display was not available at all in the US markets. If so now on the 2012 model, at least here in Europe the HUD *does* show the directions (since the release of the Prius Gen 3), as well as speed and HSI bar (the button needs to be pressed each time for the specific screen).
    Please re-check and confirm - otherwise it seems that the HUD software for the US market is different than the one offered so far in EU.
    :confused:

7. yabi

yabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I apologize, I am new to the Prius world so maybe I didn't use the appropriate terminology. The HUD I am referring to is in the center of the dashboard, under the front window which displays the car's speed, mpg, touch tracer, and other information. Currently, on my Prius, the only navigation directions are displayed solely on the navigation screen. This not only pulls my eyes off the road, but also makes it more difficult to follow the directions when there is sun glare on the screen. While I know there is voice guidance, I am more a visual person and have always relied the GPS screen then the voice prompts.

Hope this clears manners up. Sorry for any confusion.

While I am on the topic of the navigation screen, I would like to add one more item to my list.

• No green/yellow/red markers on the reverse camera display.

8. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the radio and presets are a booger to deal with. I still don't know what I'm doing wrong but my preset buttons seem to have a mind of their own. Been presetting radio stations on cars for over 35 years and have never had so much trouble?

9. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The bluetooth on III model is fair, Jbl is cheap and overated. The floating center console is a waste of space. Tilt/ telescope wheel is a joke. Change and fix these would make a big difference.

10. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just received my v...and love it. But, so far I've one complaint regarding the navigation: it appears POI's have no phone numbers! To me, this seems like a major oversight and one around which I'm looking for a workable solution. Right now, it appears I should carry my Garman just in case I need to contact service/food/or lodging establishments while on the road.

Last year, I almost bought a gen 3 but I'm glad I held off. I really hated that bridge console and the hvac controls on those models both of which have been corrected on the v.

11. Ajvdub

Ajvdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The bluetooth is pretty bad, I cant just turn off the car and walk away with my phone, it needs to be disconnected/transfered first and the delay at start up is the worst on any car I've been in. The nav sucks too, not very informative so I find myself using my phone for nav (Droid Bionic). The stereo is hard to navigate through and looks like a color version of a 1980s Apple computer. The seat heaters suck too, only 1 heat setting, the buttons are not lit up so you cant see them at night and it gets hot then cool, then hot, then cool. They are also stacked up and down so you have to feel around and make sure you are touching the right one. No coin tray, no sunglass storage, nav glare and the compartments under the trunk need to be lined or everything slides around and makes tons of noise.

1 person likes this.
  12. Ajvdub

Ajvdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know we really arent supposed to but if I'm going on a long trip I top it off (till gas is literally at the neck) and find I can easily get another 2 gallons in the tank. On dead empty I've had over 13 gallons go into the car and get 633 miles to a tank.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposed to leave room for fuel to expand due to temperature variations.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's ok to top off if you're going to use the gas on a trip right then.

15. Ajvdub

Ajvdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, if you know you are going to use it, I think its safe to do it.

I've been not only leaving my car running but topping off ever so often since I started driving and have yet to have a problem.

I think topped off right and if you can average 50mpg, you can get 700 to a tank.

16. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OMG - Can you stop slamming my freaking doors!!!

The Prius doors are just fine if you close them the same way you drive the car. However, if you have a passenger that's not familiar with them and they get slammed it sounds like they're going to break and fall off...

17. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I occasionally feel a glitch or slight mechanical slack when turning the steering wheel near the extremes. Not sure if it's a defect or just an idiosyncrasy of the electric power steering system kicking in. It only happens while backing out of a parking spot so I think it's something to do with the power steering system engaging.

18. raine1200

raine1200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One

OK folks I love my 2005 prius. But I like my 2001 celica seats better. Wondering if I can get a celica seat installed. The prius seat is made for giants, which I am not

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius seats are for giants??? :confused::confused: They seem to be among the most compact class driver's seats I've seen. Think Yaris, Echo, Corolla, iMiEV, like that. I need a magnifying glass to see the seat bottom :D

20. dcgoody

dcgoody New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Own a 2009 Prius decked out with everything except leather.

Like the car a lot.

Only gripes:

1. Brakes. Don't care much for the brakes. If I am braking and go over a pot hole or a bump they surge.

2. VERY low front end and will easily scrape parking blocks etc.

3. getting lock out of nav and other add ons when the car is moving (I know there is a fix, but its just silly).