1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What you don't like about your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by txl146, Aug 22, 2011.

1. c64rbr

c64rbr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Things I don't like about my 2010 Prius II;
    1. FIRM and BUMPY ride. Tiresome during long drives over California freeways. I hope there is a way to change the springs and/or shocks setup to soften the ride.
    2. Rattles around glove box and dash area when passing over rough pavements. This may be due to the firmly tuned suspension.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Referring to a few posts back ...

This thread is for 3rd gen 2010+ Prius ... isn't there a similar one for the 2nd gen?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Goodyear ComforTred will help soften the ride as well as lower tyre pressure (But never lower than recommended which is 35/33 PSI front/rear).

4. oliveros321

oliveros321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Three things I don't like about my Prius...

- Uncomfortable seat
    - Uncomfortable seat
    - Uncomfortatble seat

Which reminds me... I need to Goog for a nice gel seat with lumbar support (I drive around 68mi round trip each day).

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what's wrong with it ?? No thigh support? Too much? No lumbar support? too much?

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a Prius 2010 since Sep. 2009 and the battery so far never died on me. I know of people who have had this, but it appears you are getting it "often".

If so, how much?
    What did the dealer/mechanic told you?
    Are you sure you are turning *everything* off before leaving the car (please don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure you do, but "commonly" getting a flat battery is strange)?
    Do you use often the car in accessory mode only (i.e. the car is not in "ready" mode - as per light on dashboard - while listening to radio, with A/C on, etc)?

7. ecoprius

ecoprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Had the car about one month. So far two paint scratches, one from a possible car door hit and not sure about the other. So I would support the others who say the paint job is not the best. My last car took serious hits with no paint damage, although hard to tell since it was a saturn (1994). The give of the plastic might have saved the car from dents as well as spared my paint. One of the reasons I felt ok driving such an old car was it looked new..

Worried about the stock tires, but not tried them out on snow yet. I think its sad that most people seem to have to change out tires on a new car, why not offer better tires, at least as an upgrade?

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not an expert on Prius tires, but do keep in mind, they come with low rolling resistance tires.. they are not your typical all season touring tires.

Paint has seemed decent on both my Pri's.

9. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just sold my 92 Pontiac Trans Sport..also plastic body. The paint was unmarred by a single ding. Fact is, paint just "sticks" better to plastic than it does to metal. I wish they'd return to plastic body panels.

10. DJ2010

DJ2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Stereo will not hold iPod selection after car is turned off.
    No automatic windshield wipers, added the Rain Tracker kit.
    No automatic headlights, added the Rain Tracker kit.
    Would like to see a better dash brightness control based on lighting conditions during the day.
    Not enough sound insulation in the car. Lots of wind/road noise.
    NAV - Like my Garmin better, voice recognition almost useless.
    Would like to see higher speed / capacity in EV mode.
    The location for the heated seat switch is not very good, ON/OFF is inadequate, how about Hi Med Lo Off.

Other than these items it's a great economy car, that gets great mileage. The only reason I bought the car really.

11. melonhawg

melonhawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Two things I always do when I bring home a new car... remove dealer stickers and put on stick-on wide angle mirrors.

12. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I wish the would bring the optional rain sensing wipers that Toyota offers in the UK. The models equipped with the rain and light sensors are the T4, T-Spirit and the 10th Anniversary models. They also get electronic leveling on their Halogen headlight models and rear foglights with auto-cancelling.

13. fanprius

fanprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine is a 2010 Prius IV and it seems to have more road noise than my wife's hybrid camry.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably does. The Camry is pretty darn quiet.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    amen to that but then again, Google Maps updates a few times a month. my NAV (early version build date april 2009) is VERY inaccurate as per posts back in 2009.

i had one picture of me driving with phone in hand using VZ Nav. map on phone shows several streets (including ones still under construction...paved mind you, but barely passable due to the amount of construction materials and workers there during the day) but in the background, you can see the MFD clearly displaying driving out in the middle of nowhere. now, the newer streets i could understand, but some of the ones had been there since 2007 a full 2 years before my NAV version came out.

16. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see obvious high points -- fuel efficiency, space efficiency and expected reliability.

Lows:
    -- A-pillar visibility issue
    -- unusual transmission selector
    -- foot operated parking brake
    -- instrument panel overall: position, digital displays, absence of standard warning icons (especially low fuel)
    -- no DRLs

17. vafoodie

vafoodie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (Ok, these really belong on the First World Problem Facebook page, but here goes:

1) Cost of replacing a "smart key" that this dummy lost

2) The splash guard under the car that is fastened with plastic clamps and costs $500 to replace. This forum is divided on whether or not it really needs to be replaced.

3) The satellite radio's reception

4) Little rattles here and there.

I'm not completely ready to give up on the car yet, but it has been in the shop in a year and a half more than my Camrys were in ten years.
    Oddly enough, the Prius must be on my mind a lot because I dreamed last night that I traded it in and then desperately wanted it back.

18. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My biggest dislike is simply the design, I really don't like the hatchback idea, and I miss no having a trunk, yes I know I have the windowshade for the cargo area, but when you use it, you are saying to a thief: " There's something in there."
    May trade it in soon for a Camry hybrid, even though it will cost a bundle.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh puhlease don't go there. The Kammback shape and liftback defines the Prius.

Buy a Camry or Civic hybrid, anything. The thought of Prius turning back into a trunked car (which are already too prevalent in the US) churns my stomach, badly.

I bought this car to move my drumset cases (does a 100 lb hardware case go in a trunk, no), my bike inside the car without having to goof around with an expensive bike rack, or move things like a 58" tall cat climbing tower, and to pick up some hauling capacity cause my old truck will croak eventually (yeah, turning Prius back into a sedan will give one more small reason for people to keep a low MPG truck or CUV around the house).

There are PLENTY of trunked cars already. Prius doesn't need to become another.

20. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2011 Prius things I hate

1. Road noise. This is the noisiest car I have ever owned
    2. Make your telescoping steering wheel actually telescope, otherwise call it microscopic.
    3. Backup beeping. Yes I know I can change this.
    4. Cheap interior parts.

2012 Pruis V

1. Absolutely pathetic voice control navigation. This was a step down from the 2011 hdd version.
    2. Toyota entune needs to work via blue tooth with all smartphones.
    3. All of 2011 Prius things I hate

I still love both cars. I guess I would call the above annoyances more than anything else. I believe if Toyota doesn't improve these features they will lose market share in the U.S.