1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What you don't like about your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by txl146, Aug 22, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes you (well, me anyway) want more electric drive.

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Foot parking brake too small.

Driver side armrest too low.

Don't know the daily price of gas anymore... oh wait, wrong thread- that's a plus actually :D:D

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Steering wheel not completely centered in front of seat (front to back) or vice versa, seat not completed centered in front of steering wheel.

Anyone else noticed this, especially when you sit in another car? It is subtle, like fraction inch skewed, but apparent.

Seem safer to have it centered, 'specially since there's an airbag in the steering wheel.

* I don't drive with 2 hands at 3 / 9 or 10/2 very much.

4. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Regarding the foot parking brake: I have no problem with it, but for those who do, how hard would it be to motorize it? It could just be applied automatically whenever you go into "Park". If they can power seats, they can power the parking brake.

5. jimmyjam

jimmyjam WE KNOW ITS A PRIUS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT IT IS.

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dislikes: Split rear window
    Door ding magnet
    Navigation lockout

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What is a "door ding magnet"?

7. jimmyjam

jimmyjam WE KNOW ITS A PRIUS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT IT IS.

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    large, smooth , beautiful clean sheet metal. it is a magnet for door dings! IE no factory door moldings/ protectors

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Aaaaah, now I got it. At least in EU you can have them installed for both sides and corners (I had that done on mine). They are not magnetic, rather glued to the body.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    He means the car itself is a magnet for boobs to bang into the doors.

10. Powerbear

Powerbear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The extremely inaccurate gas gauge - mine says I'm empty at 330 miles. By my calculations (11.9 gallon tank @ avg 46 MPG) I should have at least another 200 miles on the tank

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep.. One of the first things i mentioned in the Most Obscured Facts thread... kind of annoying (one side of the seat is wearing out faster, partially because it's the side I get in and out but also because I'm sitting towards that side vs. a more evenly worn seat on our Camry (also leather).

12. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1) Horrible interface for radio station presets (AM/FM/XM).
    2) Pathetically limited set of voice commands for nav/audio system.
    3) Haven't been able to transfer any contacts from 2 different Nokia cell phones, and the way the interface works you can't create new contacts on the car head unit either.

Other than those annoyances, I love the car (2012 Prius Four with solar roof package).

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I immediately noticed that I disliked was the cheap steering wheel on the entry level Prius 2.

This was rectified with a wheelskins purchase.

Since then about the only intrinsic gripe or dislike I have noticed is the IMO poorly positioned and overly complicated windshield wiper stalk.

I'm sure very shortly -just with time -I will learn it by touch. But it's hidden badly with it's postion behind the wheel and has so many settings both for the front and rear wiper that I have to say, it's NOT my favorite set up. At this point I'm always grabbing it to turn on the intermittent front wipers and turning on the back ones instead, or trying to turn on the back wiper and accidentally changing the settings on the front and the stalk really isn't easy to see especially when you are driving.

Also not a big deal, but the cup holder layout is poor, or at least poor in comparison to The Honda Fit. Having your best or most convenient cup holder placed in front of the flying bridge, is IMO a mistake. Putting two together inf ront of the instrument panel on the bridge is just...well stupid. You really don't want your drinks right in the path of where you are likely to go to adjust a plethora of potential settings.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got off the phone with Piercey Toyota. They do not offer a plug-and-play adapter to retrofit the 2012+ Softex Prius power driver's seat into Prius mechanical seat car. He suggested to call an aftermarket shop to see if they could locate a used seat and add wiring to plug the power seat in (it's 3 connectors vs. 2, the 3rd probably just 12V for motors/ seat heaters).

When lowering mechanical seat all way down, much tilt in seat bottom, pressure on legs is too much. Becomes game of lifting up to lessen tilt, at 6'2", don't need to lift up.

So, iClaudius, right with ya, mechanical seat is a problem (for me) not so much the wheel as been saying. Softex power seat is better.

15. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cup holders...but even more than that...I don't like how the CVT takes too long to get into a higher gear setting. I am sure that if it had a modern 6, 7, or 8 speed trans I could shift it sooner and let the revs stay low. I shift my 95 SOHC Neon at only 2000 and with the mods it has I get a solid 36-38 mpg in moderate traffic and 43 on the highway at 55, or 46 if I hypermile. The car was rated at 39. Getting rid of the power steering picked up a solid 2 mpg on the highway. One other minor thing easily remedied...remove the hub caps to reveal some decent looking stock rims.

16. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wish real Leather was an option and not Softex, better seats and better stereo

17. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't like the ICE noisy whinning too, but to be precise there is nothing like "gears" in the Prius :) This is the CVT...
    All others "dislikes" about my Prius I just accept, as I love this car...
    BTW - is your wife perfect? Nobody and nothing is perfect and we have to accept our choices as they are.
    My Prius and my wife... err... my wife and my Prius offer me so much fun and happiness that I'm a very forgiving species :)

Simtronic likes this.
  18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about better sound insulation also. Quite the road 'music' sometimes :whistle:

JMD likes this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius has no seat bottom tilt knob as found in FJ Cruiser which has 8-way adj. mechanical seat, not 6-way like Prius.
    Too much seat bottom tilt at low height settings (hey, I'm 6'2" tall, hafta sit low) has caused problems, making me recline seatback more and complain about steering wheel too far away, not enough telescope, etc...

This is not just about 'personal preference', it's about adjustability or some are going to get hosed.

Bet you that tilt knob would not add much weight or cost to a seat.

06054wd_02z+2007_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser+Drivers_Side_Interior_View.jpg

JMD likes this.
  20. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cheapest interior with cheap rattles. other than that, great car.