1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats better for fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dolce_Vita, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

On colder mornings when the Prius goes through the whole warm up cycle thing, would it be better for over-all fuel economy to turn on the prius and let it go through the whole warm up cycle then turn off the ICE itself before i leave home (in effect leaving the car to warm up for a while)? or just get in and drive like normal?

2. Crazyhorse6901

Crazyhorse6901 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I would let the vehicle warm up...Once the ICE turns off which is usually a minute or less this should place the system in S2 .:cool:

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends on your commute, and if you have an EV switch.

For instance, my first couple miles is me going down a gigantic mountain @ speeds under 35mph. Therefore, I start and go. Once 51 or so seconds has elapsed, I press the EV button which shuts the ICE off and takes it out of S1 for good. When I get to the bottom with a fully charged battery and a warmed up but off engine, it is nice.

But everybody's trip is different.

4. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your MPG while sitting there warming up is "0". I would just go

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's been a fair bit of debate over this issue in the past and I think the conventual wisdom is to just drive it without warm up.

Personally however I think there are circumstances where it's worthwhile to allow a short warm up. I notice then when I drive immediately from cold that the car very much attempts to use the traction battery in preference to the ICE for the first minute or so. Sometimes this results in the battery dropping several bars of SOC very quickly and of course that can mean reduced MPG's for the next several minutes or more.

So if I have the option to just drive very slowly, without any hill climbing and without dropping much SOC for the first 40 sec to 1 minute then I think it's good to let it warm-up while driving. If on the other hand I've got to drive a bit harder in the first minute and it's likely to start dropping SOC as a result, then I think it's both easier on the car and no worse for FE to let it warm for 30 or 40 seconds before taking off.

3 people like this.
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uart's answer is correct. I won't bother restating it.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies :)

I have a factory EV switch, but it doesn't let me engage EV when the car is in warm-up mode, (on the MFD it says 'EV mode not available', so it says I'm using 99 l/100km, (0mpg), I've found it's easier just to let it idle for a few minutes...

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Using EV is generally bad for your mileage. Make sure you understand why before making a habit of using it.

Tom

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

When the car is already in warmup mode, and less than 50-something seconds have elapsed since the engine turned on, there is no way out of it short of restarting.

However, once the time period has elapsed, or you drive above 55kph then you can get into the regular driving modes as well as EV.

Definately agree. EV is cool, but you really have to know when and when not to use it to optimize fuel economy. However, it is damn nifty to creep around parking lots scaring the bejeebus out of people when a silent car goes by...

1 person likes this.
  10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a way to engage EV mode (via factory EV button) when the car is cold, but as has been said, it's generally not a good idea to do so. For normal driving the sooner you get past the warm-up phase the better, so it's not helpful to delay it with EV mode.

That said, all you have to do to get EV mode at cold start is to make sure you hit the EV button before you engage gear. That is, get the car to ready mode as normal then while it is still in park press the EV button. This is really useful if you're just moving the car a short distance, say from one parking space to another, or in and out of the garage for cleaning etc.

2 people like this.
  11. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyones help :)

I guess ill just straight out drive the Prius without it warming up first, far less effort involved...

I agree with everyone, when i first got the Prius (February) EV mode was the coolest thing out, but it DOES drain the battery heaps, i find Pulse & Glide far more effective.

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, the EV button needs to be activated within the first few seconds, regardless of gear.

To the OP, the EV button may improve fuel economy if used properly and the right conditions exist. As you seem to realize, it should not routinely be used for propulsion, but it can be used to force ICE shutdown during later warmup stages when propulsion is not needed. See this for more.

1 person likes this.
  13. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I believe ken1784 would disagree. If I remember correctly, he did tests and showed that it was more efficient to just let it warm up than to put a load on the engine and start driving it. I believe he actually had it warm up in N, which used even less gas than P. And I guess the loss of the small amount of battery recharge in N vs. P was still in favor of N. (But of course, if you leave it in N it will run all day, you must shift at some point.)

14. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those words are not from mine. :)

Everyone's situation are different, therefore YMMV.
    During the first 1 minutes of S1a warming up cycle, the ICE does not produce motive power, then Prius uses battery power to drive it.

If your road is downhill for the first 1 minute, you can start immediately after READY on.
    If your road is uphill for the first 1 minutes, wait for 1 minute to finish the S1a stage, then go.
    If your road is flat, it's your decision. You can start immediately and drive slowly to save battery power, OR you can wait for 1 minutes then start your driving at normal speed.

I don't recommend to do the N range warming up.
    We saw less fuel usage in N than P, but it takes longer to finish complete warming up, therefore we saw almost same total fuel usage for complete warming up.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  15. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Has anyone did an AC on with fan low speed check versus windows partially down.

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is exactly my approach. I used to rent a room from a woman who lived at the bottom of a long steep driveway. There, I would sit and let it get into S2 before moving.

Now at my house, level terrain and light traffic allow me to move under low power for the first 2-3 hundred yards (all it takes to get through S1 after a block heater preheat), so I move out immediately.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the S1,2,3,4 stages that are commonly referred to? :s

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  19. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! Thanks, that explains heaps to me, now I understand everything about the cycles, although how long does it all take to reach stage 4 on average?

20. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on climate.
    In a hot weather, it takes less than 5 minutes or a few miles drive to reach S3.
    In a cold weather and heavy use of cabin heater, the engine coolant will never been reached above 163F and Prius will stay at S2.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.