1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats better for fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dolce_Vita, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

A sincere apology to ken1784 for my misquote. I was a bit unsure about it, since it was long ago that it was discussed, and ken1784 has provided so much great information that it gets difficult to remember each item exactly.

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say warm-up as quickly as possible using moderate to hjgh acceleration, then at some point reset the consumption screen and you will obtain much higher numbers.
    :cheer2:

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And drive downhill both ways.
    cheater :-P

1 person likes this.
  4. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I look at it this way.
    Emissions wise, I think it would be better to leave the car in park for the worm-up to let the emission components worm up.
    From a MPG or L/100km standpoint, I think you get less mileage because everything is trying to worm up while trying to drive the car. Thats my opinion though. Take it how you want.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    actually, while the car is "warming up" it DOES produce SOME power. Enough power to say drive at like 10mph without discharging the battery. If your planning on going above that, then its best to warmup in park.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I always turn on the car and move it immediately, slowly. I cannot keep it idle in the parking space, standing still, in any case as it is illegal in most EU countries due to environmental regulations.

What I do is keeping in winter the climate control set to off, to avoid lengthening the warm-up process moving "precious" heat into the cabin.

If it is really cold and have rock hard ice on the windshield, I run the heater and keep the car in the spot until I get enough heat to break the ice - it happened fortunately 2-3 times last winter and I bought a "sun shield" that can be used in winter as well, to put at night on the windshield to avoid snow from sticking and icing on the wind shield - that should improve things...hopefully...