1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's causing this noise/vibration?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kevelev, Jun 11, 2018.

1. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About the brakes:

I appreciate the info about checking the run-out but they are already beyond saving. I put new rotors and pads on about a year ago. I noticed that shortly after there was some grinding noises and noticed that the orientation of the caliper piston was off, so I corrected it. But the damage was done and the pad had already worn down to a wedge. I put a new set of pads on and let it go for a few months but shortly after the other side was doing the same thing. So only the left-rear had the caliper piston mis-aligned, but both rotors now look horrible (I may be able to get a pic later). When I did the initial brake job, I made sure to pull out the slide pins and put some silicone lube on all of them. There was no binding in the caliper after so I figured all was good. Maybe I need to clean up the metal clip area or sand the caliper bracket ever so slightly where the pads rest to make sure they are free to slide. Is there a way to make sure the caliper is in good condition? What I planned to do was just press the pedal and make sure I see the piston press out, but should it retract on it's own, and if so, would it be noticable? Thanks for all the help so far! 20171124_102006.jpg 20171124_101944.jpg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That looks very much like an inner/rear pad where the caliper's piston spoke pattern is in the incorrect location, so that the raised spoke is pushing against the pin on the back of the inner pad. This is a picture from the attachment I posted, showing the correct orientation:

upload_2018-6-18_6-14-53.png

The grey areas are the raised spokes. You must reassemble the brake with the piston oriented thus, and ensure everything is well-seated thus. Failing to do this, the piston may end up putting all it's pressure on that little pin, terrifically skewing things.

When assembling, make sure the orientation is per the picture above, then do multiple brake pedal compressions, do not apply parking brake, lower the car, reconnect the 12 volt, and take it for a short test drive. After all that, apply and release the parking brake a few times, then raise the rear and verify the wheels are near free-spinning.

At this juncture that might entail new rotors as well. Obviously new pads.

3. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this was the issue, and I caught that relatively quickly and replaced the pads on the wheel that needed it. However, both rear rotors seem to be very irregularly worn, even though only one side had the issue you describe.