1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what's going on with this cv axel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I put the parts back together (minus the abs sensor) and get this noise when i put it into drive. The wheel also spins (rather quickly at first) at an inconsistent rate. Is the cv joint not pushed back into the transmission or something?

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Did you push the new CV axle in until you heard it click? I did that and then gently tapped it with a block of wood and hammer to make sure it was seated all the way.

3. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Honestly the axle separated from the inner cup (so the Y shaped thing with three bearings was at the inner end) and i happened to pull an axel from the junkyard the same way (minus the cup) so i left the original cup in there. I tried pushing to make sure it was in but never heard a pop or anything. I repacked the boot with red grease but those three bearing things kinda still felt crunchy like there was sand in them or something, but i dont think that would cause this.

4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You must buy a new axle.
    Yea, money is tight for many people. However, at ~$80 for a new half-shaft, there is no reason not to buy one. Cancel Cable if you're that tight on money.

Half Shafts parts are like internal engine parts. After break-in, the bearings are fixed to the race and the axles. You can not move bearings around, nor just mix/match parts,
    Yea, others may have done. Others have gotten stoned out of their mind, and walked naked in the middle of highway rush hour traffic. Foolish/Stupid people do foolish/stupid things.

Last, make sure you have at least 2 lug nuts properly holding the rotor to the hub, and the the rotor is flat against the hub.

Good Luck!

#4 prius16, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    ColoradoCrow and BiomedO1 like this.
  5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    PLus 1. Orielys auto parts has them for $80 well worth it. Used CV axles are like a used condom. VERY bad choice.

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hmm good to know. I just don’t think this car will ever see pavement again so I’m just learning with it.

also those of us who get stoned and run bare as s naked in rush hour traffic like to call ourselves “ traffic jammers” and it’s actually a national pastime in Uzbekistan. Thank you very much.

7. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    On a related note where does one sell an oem cat? Criminals seem to know but alas that life is behind me now