1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's not included in the Toyota maintenance schedule?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheGoshDarnedBatman, Jul 24, 2015.

1. TheGoshDarnedBatman

TheGoshDarnedBatman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I read through the maintenance schedule, and it seems to not include a lot of things. What about brakes, shocks, transmission flushing, etc.? I'm not a big car guy, and this is my first Prius (Prius v, 2012, 40k miles.) What else should I know about?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Drain and Fill (not Flush) the transaxle is not in the schedule. My best advice is 30,000 miles, then 90,000 miles then every 90,000 miles after that. Use Toyota's ATF WS

If you are gentle with the brakes (and so use regenerative braking via the Motor/Generators) the brake pads last a long time. How long depends on terrain and the driver, not time or distance.

Brake fluid flushing depends on the humidity of your driving, not time or distance.

Shocks also depend more on road surfaces and driving attitude than any specific time or distance.

Think about replacing the fob battery and the 12 volt battery every 4 years.

#2 JimboPalmer, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake inspections are in the schedule; look again?

Shocks, bearings, CV joints are a fix them when they fail item I guess.

Transaxle fluid change yeah: not noted, worth doing, the first change sooner, then stretch the subsequent changes. Say 25,000 miles for the first, then 50,000 miles thereafter.

Brake fluid change has been introduced, finally, at least in the 2014 Canadian Warranty and Maintenance Guide (applicable to all Canadian Toyota models, not just Prius) :

Capture.JPG

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Coolant around 105k. Otherwise you are good. After all you bought a Toyota, not a Hyundai. There is a reason Toyota will sell you a bumper to bumper 125k warranty.