1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's Right With General Motors

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Arroyo, May 2, 2005.

1. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

nice mirror job

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Tag you had me on the floor laughing my butt off with that. Your in Marketing..... right?

3. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

He's Canadian and knows his stocks..., but all he wants is the demise of anything American I guess..I don't begrudge GM, I wish them well, BUT they will learn or burn as they say. Don't strike them out yet..ps Toyota might bail them out.. whatever the case I don't like running down something or a U.S. company to bolster my beliefs or political desires. Seems like a lot here rejoice anytime something bad happens for this country because they hate the current President. I don't like some of his choices, I don't agree with everything our government does, and I certainly say so., but I do not celebrate, take digs on or put down something or someone I disagree with, UNLESS they do the same, then I defend this country and my positions

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

PS Canada..lots of GM plants in CANADA

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, that, or bankruptcy.

6. tag

tag Senior Member

No, law (real estate, corp, and taxation).............come to think of it, I do a ton of marketing in connection therewith so, Yes! :wink:

7. tag

tag Senior Member

I can only presume you're referring to me because your reply appears to be in response to Frank Hudon's post and Frank specifically mentioned my handle. So, in order to set the record straight:

1) I'm not Canadian.....look at my country flag and location. FYI, I was born in Chicago and have been a Chicago area resident all of my adult life. Last time I looked, Chicago was still within the boundaries of the U.S. (although I can't rule out some sort of deal Mayor Daley might have struck with the Canadian government which has yet to be made public).

2) Any American or Canadian who wants "the demise of anything American" is, IMHO, insane or at least severely disturbed (okay, I might be a little disturbed but, well, feel free to start another thread on that issue). I mean, two powerhouse countries with thousands of miles of unpatrolled border and each is the other's largest trading partner? I'd say our destinies are sort of inextricably intertwined here.

3) I also wish GM well. After all, I have a financial interest in the company as a result of owning some mutual funds that hold GM stock and paper. Further, the demise or decline of GM would hardly be a good thing for our economy (meaning both the U.S. and Canada) nor the world at large. The company is simply too large and the fallout would be too great. On the other hand, it's fairly obviously at this point that the company is being steered in the wrong direction. Thus, my suggestion is an enema for each and every person in senior management (better yet, a series of high colonics).

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

My suggestion is simply the stockholders voting out the current management and getting somewhere by using new management. A recent post hit the nail right on the head at GM. They design cars and decide marketing and production by committee and "polling" data exclusively. What they need out there at GM is an HENRY FORD, or a LEADER. As for our government, they just need to accept any way to increase mileage including HYBRIDS, and encourage such moves. DEMs had a perfect idea, but never made much HAY over it after the elections, THAT'S THE TROUBLE, once IN they forget everything they promise, (both sides). RAISE the CAFE standards, get that min MPG up, include trucks and vans and SUV's. I am not against that either, I think it is strategically critical to the defense and well being of this country. AND yes we agree CANADA and the US are neighbors, but admit TAG., millions of CANADIANS hate this country and want it to fail. Really the US auto makers will not be long in recognizing that GAS prices will dictate fuel economy, by DEC 05 gas may hit $3.00 at the pumps in places in the US.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    US automakers are going to be in denial over gas prices until there is no demand for their products. Look at Hummer. Think they have ANY regard for gas prices? There will always be the pigheaded American midlife-crisis-businessman-nobody who will think of buying a hummer to boost his ego and social standing. It's the American way. And until THAT changes there will be no change in US automaker business practice.

And there are as many Americans that hate Canada as Canadians that hate America. And the way it's going the whole world will be hating America any day now...

10. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Galaxee there you go again., don't want to fight..come up with good ideas to help solve these problems and help our country.... what is wrong with that???????

I think this car is part of it, hence I drive one...thatis one way... what can FORD< GM < Chrysler look at... what can the govt do (Forget BUSH!!!!) man that is the divisive stuff you all do all the time, and when we try and say otherwise or just take a poke at you, you all squeal like little piggies.................man......you got one of them cars, how about if you try and get some of your co-workers to get some, that would be admirable!!

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Um... maybe you didn't notice I'm a grad student. My co-workers and I live on a stipend that is less than the base price of the Prius.

I'll be honest with you. I'm not an economist or politician or anything like that. I'm a scientist. I'm a researcher. That's what I specialize in. I don't offer advice on subjects that I have no experience dealing with. I simply observe the patterns of the world and report what I see, and I see exactly what I posted above.

Nothing more to say. I don't fight on boards, I'm open to debate but not bullying.

12. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

OK, let me page back and find your post

"US automakers are going to be in denial over gas prices until there is no demand for their products. Look at Hummer. Think they have ANY regard for gas prices? There will always be the pigheaded American midlife-crisis-businessman-nobody who will think of buying a hummer to boost his ego and social standing. It's the American way. And until THAT changes there will be no change in US automaker business practice.

And there are as many Americans that hate Canada as Canadians that hate America. And the way it's going the whole world will be hating America any day now..."

I guess you don't consider this divisive..So what if some fool with money wants a hummer, you want them outlawed ???? Is that freedoom here ?? let the market SHOW GM hummers are no longer wanted, and they'll stop making them.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe I was illustrating the point that the American Way probably will never let that happen.

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Galaxee., I look at it this way., yes this country among many others use ressources much faster then say the poor ones. EricC made some very good posts. In terms of doing good in this country do you not think, it is better to encourage conservation from a positive point rather then a negative point. I mean you say we're bad, we're the problem, we use too much, we're dumb, we're rich, we pollute, it's all our fault, and I have never heard your side talk about others in the future as well as now as to the real problems. I've been around long enough to know, we have problems all countries do, but I still believe WE ARE NOT the root of all evil. In terms of helping the world would it not make more sense to say, this car is a start an inovation that this country's MFG will follow, a start to help the environment, a start to help YOU make ends meet in light of higher energy prices. SEE I can from my side make POSITIVE, not FINGER POINTING you're guilty statements to encourage the technology. That is why sometimes I get the feeling most here just want to tear down, and never really appreciate this country. I have been all over the world, and have yet to find a better place then this country. I am not trying to bully you., just try and approach the problem from a positive point, keep your opinions, that is fine, just don't put people off. I hate the monicker that this car is a TREE HUGGERS CAR, but that is what I hear. It is not, this car is a marvel of fine engineering using the best technologies of today.

15. prius04

prius04 New Member

The problem with GM may be a problem with the American style of capitalism. It seems that what our *MBAs are taught is to plan by looking to the next quarterly report, or maybe 4 or 5 years into the future at the most. This is not the Japanese model. Looking 20 years into the future is commonplace.

There is also the problem of the way people look at the stock market. I read that “Wall Street†was a bit angry at Toyota because Toyota had $40 some billion dollars in reserves, and Wall Street wanted Toyota to use that money to buy another company. Such a buy could be great for short term profits. But Toyota said that that money was for R&D and that Toyota was not in the company-buying business. Wall Street was not happy.

This hurt Toyota’s stock because, let’s face it, a big part of the stock market today is gambling. Toyota’s approach to the stock market is “slow and steady wins the race.†But big money investors want returns THIS QUARTER, and not in 10 years. Thus, if GM comes out with a hit car, people will invest in GM for a while to take advantage of that hit car. Once the hit passes, the investors move their money to Microsoft, or Sun or Exxon or wherever they think the next easy money is going to come from. And if they feel the entire market is moving too slow, they move their money into the bond market. In addition, nowadays, some of that money is being invested in the real estate market.

So the stock market is not a good indicator of the value of any company’s product, it’s more a reflection of where the big money players feel that it is going to be the next big short term moneymaker.

That said, I think Toyota is a great place to invest, but not for the gambler that wants a quick return, but for those who have something else to do with their lives besides watching their money every day. “Gambler†type investing is a full time job.

I'm a strong believer in the free market, but NOT in laissez faire capitalism. Thus, IMHO, we need a strong central government to protect us from corporations, and to nudge those corporations in the right direction once in a while. An example, I think, is one of the worst things that happened for GM was when GM succeeded in getting CAFE standards limited. It helped them profit-wise for a few quarterly reports, and even for quite a few years, but now they are in some trouble.

*GW is, aside from being the first American President with an **arrest record, he is the first American President with an MBA. But unlike an MBA that looks at the next quarterly report, he looks at the next election. As Paul O’Neil wrote in his book, as have others, this President makes decisions based upon politics more than anyone else he had ever served with in his life. I daresay that GW’s choice to replace Sandra Day will have less to do with placating the right wing, or being best for America, or placating the moderates, then it will have to do with what is the best choice to help increase the numbers of Republicans in the 2006 elections.

**The first American Vice President with an arrest record is Dick Cheney. I make no comment on what this means, but I do think it’s fascinating.

16. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Quoted from Prius4 Senior poster

This is not divisive:

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...p=103517#103517
    *GW is, aside from being the first American President with an **arrest record, he is the first American President with an MBA. But unlike an MBA that looks at the next quarterly report, he looks at the next election. As Paul O’Neil wrote in his book, as have others, this President makes decisions based upon politics more than anyone else he had ever served with in his life. I daresay that GW’s choice to replace Sandra Day will have less to do with placating the right wing, or being best for America, or placating the moderates, then it will have to do with what is the best choice to help increase the numbers of Republicans in the 2006 elections.

**The first American Vice President with an arrest record is Dick Cheney. I make no comment on what this means, but I do think it’s fascinating.

I rest my case, this is what I saw all over this board continually. But I am the divisive one..

17. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Good choice. I used to teach writing to at risk high schoolers. I had a student one time that required 6 or more hours to paraphrase 6 pages of her writing. Parphrasing was one of our main teaching tools. When I look at IALTMANN's writing it reminds me of that student. It would take me many hours to painstakingly, piece by piece correct misstatements and inappropriate comments. He has made similar comments to me that he has made to you.

Prius04: Many of your explications are helpful and I enjoyed this one. I particulary agree with "I'm a strong believer in the free market, but NOT in laissez faire capitalism." There are so many problems inculcated in laissez faire it boggles one's mind.

18. prius04

prius04 New Member

I don't get your point. I'm using facts to make a point. I have no problem with you attacking my facts, my conclusions or my opinions, but IA, this is not what you have been doing. You don't attack facts or conclusions, you attack the motives and patriotism and honorability of the poster.

You have the right to your opinion, as do I. And if you don't like my posts, attack my facts or conclusions, but when you attack ME, you go overboard. There is nothing wrong with being "divisive", if by that you mean having another opinion, but you sir are being "derisive".

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I fail to see what exactly "my side" means. I am not attached to any political group whatsoever if that is what you refer to.

I am simply stating that in my observations, American society is in quite the downward spiral and it will take a national upheaval for things to change.

The world is a negative place. Get used to it. I did that years ago...