1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's safer during the day - DRL or headlights ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusNeckBeard, Oct 26, 2016.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well, I'm going to use headlights, then, all day, every day, as I have for years.

They have more lumens, they're higher up, I get the added benefit of tail lights, I don't have to change anything once dusk settles in, and additional running cost is reasonable ($10-40/year).

Apparently DRL are angled "better" (shoot up towards incoming drivers' eyes more than regular headlights, to get their attention), but, whatever. No biggie.

One caveat, I suppose. I'll probably start turning headlights off when I have flashers on at a standstill, they should stand out more with out other lights on near them.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @David Beale This our 2010 Canadian Touring, with LCD Low Beams:

Low Beams:

IMG_5746.JPG
    (LCD's barely noticeable in daylight)

High Beams:

IMG_5747.JPG
    (auto-exposure did overall darkening)

and Daytime Running Lights:

IMG_5748.JPG
    (High Beams at reduced brightness)

#22 Mendel Leisk, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the insults. FYI, my 2010 prius (US version) is not equipped with DLRs.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  4. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 without DRL. I ALWAYS have my headlights on. Just makes sense to be as visible as possible.
    And as a cyclist I can see a car with headlights on in my mirrors much easier!

Robert Holt and Coast Cruiser like this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well that sure is cheap on Toyota's part! My '05 Camry had DRL's.

6. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's some more insults.

We got so many drunks, druggies, derelicts, distracted drivers, illegals, and idiot people driving cars in Southern California… You could have 50 lights on your car and they would STILL not see you, and pull out in front of you!

If I didn't have DRL's, I would definitely turn the headlights on.
    And I can't believe Toyota didn't put DRL's on a 2010 Prius? Seems like every other model had them that year.

7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my generation four, the DRL's are the low beam headlights.... but just a bit dimmer. They are not "angled" any differently than the low beams.

What a confusing mess. :ROFLMAO:

Just get in it, and drive the damn car.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This depends on your latitude and time of year but usually low beams isn't a bad idea because, as you've surmised, it keeps the taillights on and you're also prepared for any weather.

If you have DRLs, then you have to remember to switch on your parking lights (minimum) or low beams during rainy weather where visibility is reduced or depending on the year, sometimes overcast skies can reduce light that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the taillights on (so parking or low beam).

But yeah if you want a one-stop solution, then low beams work since you have "AUTO OFF" and the car will turn the lights off automatically (IIRC). Also, the taillights are low power LEDs anyway

FWIW to anyone reading, my car is 7.5 years old with DRLs (mandatory in Canada). It uses the high beams at reduced intensity (see Mendel's post above for a pic) and I haven't replaced my high beams yet. They still work nice and bright at night (just completed a road trip earlier this month with a decent amount of night driving each day in varying weather conditions).

Probably the same people that say "wow the rain is heavy!" and only have their wipers on INT setting (for whatever reasons. Wiper blades cost waaay less than a new bumper).

Gen 2s have a dual-filament bulb headlight system. The DRLs are low beams at (slightly) reduced intensity. High beams is simply passing power to the second filament to increase light. (I think the bulb moves to point the high beams further down the road.... I forget now)

You sure? Your Gen 3's DRLs are high beams at reduced intensity :) (unless you imported it from the US, then it uses LEDs at the lower corners of the front bumper)

Mendel Leisk and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Tidelands. Very good explanation.

I find it very strange, that Toyota did not include DRL's on a US made 2010 Prius. Camry had them, Avalon had them, and I believe the Corolla and the trucks had them too? That's only six years ago, I thought all Toyota models head DRL's back then.

10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I meant Tideland. Sorry, no edit button.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm not sure either. 2010-2011 models also didn't have automatic headlights. It was introduced in 2012 with the midlife update and only on Four and Five models.

That being said, when you guys got LED DRLs, Canada didn't and we relied on reduced intensity high beam for 2012-2015 even though the US had LED DRLs.

My guess is the cost of certification of the LED DRLs.

Robert Holt and Coast Cruiser like this.
  12. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yep, that's a great solution. I'm going with that. Easy, effective, and goof-proof. (I've got "AUTO-OFF")
    I'd recommend that to anyone reading this thread.

Correct! Lower corners of front bumper.

They seem under powered. I tested various configurations during the day. (I just turned on various choice, with parking brake off of course, and got out of the car and went to front to check things out). The DLR seemed kinda wimpy. IIRC the lumens on those are indeed quite lower than the actual headlights. I wonder where I read that..

I was actually OK with parking lights, but actual headlights seemed probably better, over all.

So, yeah, American Prius (AP ? lol a new acronym) DLR are not best choice imo.

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, that might be why they weren't used in Canada - perhaps they don't meet the minimum lumens required for DRLs. (I think there's also a height requirement so it's possible they're not tall enough or mounted high enough)

14. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Am not sure which country's P you are referring to here, but...
    I've got an American (well...presumably American!) Prius Three, black, with venting solar sunroof (though I'm not in the southwest..), which I bought used. I had to REALLY look carefully, IIRC the dealership had it listed as a FOUR on the fact sheet, but it is a Three (no pleather seats or what not...think I've got this right on what constitutes a Four). Yet and still, it definitely has AUTO-OFF. (GREAT feature, imo -- should be standard, no ?)

So, fwiw...I seem to have an American Three with Auto-off headlights.

15. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh yeah, man, they're kinda low.
    no special, imo

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm talking about the US.

Yeah you have AUTO-OFF.

Four and Five models have AUTO ON and OFF (or automatic headlights.. i.e. they have an "AUTO" position on the headlight stalk).

17. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do like what Audi has done with DLR ,

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was more than 7 years ago. I'll guess that the white LEDs on the more recent cars were not yet ready for prime time back then, and incandescent DRLs would have been just enough drag to kill the 50 MPG EPA rating. They were juggling very small increments, making sure they could round up to 50, not down to 49.

19. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to the shop tomorrow and see if there is any aftermarket led that I can use DRL. I believe in dawn and dusk and bad weather it's good to have and be seen n might prevent an accident but the very least people see me. As to cost I'm sure it's minimal and it's worth it bottom line

Robert Holt likes this.
  20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Robert Holt likes this.