1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats the average Education level of PC posters

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Feb 9, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BSc Molecular biology & biochemistry, Wisconsin- La Crosse
    better than halfway through PhD Pharmacology, Duke

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

What you considered a personal attack I consider 'telling it like how it really is.' Besides, I took a humbling attitude of medicine ;).

3. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prakash @ Feb 10 2007, 12:59 AM) [snapback]387944[/snapback]</div>
    Gig 'em!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's see...
    B.S. Computer Programming, Indiana University (would you believe my first two years were exclusively mainframe based?)
    B.E. Secondary Education (IU) with a focus in . . .
    A.A. English Language and Linguistics (IU)

If we're talking total education, I'm currently pursuing a Six Sigma Green Belt certification and a PMI (Project Management Institute) certification.

Some day I will get a Master in Business Management but when is there time with all this Priuschatting to do?

5. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    MSR in Priology (Master of Smugness and Righteousness)

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder if the average prius owner tends to be more highly educated than your average american? From this brief survey it would seem so, but then you'd have to account to the self selection of people who'd actually answer, plus select again for people who'd actually message on a prius chat board.

Let's just say that those on the priuschat board are more educated than the average american. No?

7. montelb@ada.k12.oh.us

[email protected] New Member

Me:
    B.S. Education
    M.S. Education

My wife:
    B.A. Biology/Chemestry
    Ph.D. Immunology

It was her idea to buy the car!

8. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    BFA - CalArts
    some MFA - CalArts - couldn't finish due to our dear departed Reagonmics (cut student financial aid)
    some JD - decided if I was going to live with myself the rest of my life I needed to quit Sociopath Bootcamp

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 10 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]387901[/snapback]</div>
    An MD means you're educated, that's it. Can you still be insane? Just take a look at this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Goldstein

Unfortunately, he's an alumnus from my school. As is this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Dean

Any doubt which one would more likely share the same values with the MD we're all talking about?

10. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BBA - Accounting
    MBA - Finance
    CPA - (gave this one up a long time ago)

New Pursuits:
    Computer Geek - Researching and Modifying my Prius ECU's
    Mechanic - Installing ECU Modifications (I can have the MFD out in 5 minutes)

11. bluejay

bluejay New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 10 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]388210[/snapback]</div>
    That's a slippery slope. . .More educated means? . . Education is also a system of indoctrination. So are you educated because you are maintaining a status quo or are you educated because you choose not to make the same historical mistakes that have created needless war, injustice, destruction and suffering? I would only assume that people on priuschat have or are interested in hyrid cars.

BA Peace Studies-- Arcadia/European Peace University, Austria
    Certified Yoga Instructor, Sivananda Tradition
    Trained Mediator

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluejay @ Feb 11 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]388406[/snapback]</div>
    I don't disagree with you. While the presence of a strong 'educated'(not necessarily informed though) middle class is good for the USA, it enables the power brokers of the country to push it's will on other countries and maintain it's grip on our own country.

Is this way of life better than when humans were all hunters/gatherers and weren't wreaking havoc on each other and the climate? That's certainly arguable but we as a species have crossed that bridge a long time ago and can't turn back(unless we have a big ol' nuke war).

13. chutneypopcorn

chutneypopcorn New Member

The line between education and literacy is thin, but existent. Most of us who have double degrees may be literate but not truly educated. My gandpa used to say true education brings humility. In the US education seems to used for bragging rights. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know and that is truly humbling.

[BS in Engineering, and an MD with two fellowships (you will just have to take my word for it). Yet, my education will never be complete...]

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This brings up the question I posted earlier in the month in regards to David W. Orr's "What is Education For?"

Written in 1991

It is said we cannot go back to a hunter/gatherer way of life. That I believe is correct but that does not mean we cannot be tribal in our ways. Many advanced cultures tried what we are trying now and it did not work for them so the walked away from it and went back to tribal ways. We indeed can walk away.

15. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

16. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Feb 11 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]388436[/snapback]</div>
    Edumacation provides for a semblance and illusion of civility. Again I reiterate that it really provides a middle class a tool for the power brokers to have power and to implement their will.

While a few people may walk away from the modern life ala ted kaczynski and move to a shack in Montana the vast majority of americans won't. And if americans were to say 'walk away' from this life style, the chinese or indians would take their hegemonic turn.

17. bluejay

bluejay New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 11 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]388443[/snapback]</div>

Maybe or Maybe not

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 11 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]388443[/snapback]</div>
    My idea of walking away is not to sell my home and move to a cabin in the woods. For me, to walk away means to leave the value system and story of our culture in the rubbish bin and focus on a better story. One that promotes healing and restoration, love and compassion. Ron Miller put it better than I can:

I'll create a new post if need be so we don't ruin this one. :)

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Feb 11 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]388452[/snapback]</div>
    Ruin it? Not at all. A discussion of the purposes of education would be more enlightening than a list of degrees.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Feb 11 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]388500[/snapback]</div>
    To that I agree. I'm willing to bet our ideas on the purpose of education would be quite diverse.

I'll sum my idea up.

"creare condiciones sub quibus vita foveatur" - Creating the conditions condusive to life.

I know, I know. I'm on a Paul Hawken trip so what. :p Three cheers for Salmon Nation!