1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats the average Education level of PC posters

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 12 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]389054[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah? Well, I'm rubber and you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you! :p

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Feb 12 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]389074[/snapback]</div>
    Well, they did ask what the average education level of PC posters was. I guess Squid answered in his own special way.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    B.A. in Astronomy & Physics from Wesleyan U. (CT)
    M.S. in Astronomy from Yale U. (also CT)
    M. Phil. in Astronomy from Yale U.
    Ph.D. in Astronomy from Yale U.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm willing to bet that I may be one of the only people on here with an M.Phil (at least among the Americans). Basically, it's Yale's attempt to copy the British Universities.

I was just realizing the other day that, despite growing up in CA, I've spent the last 10+ years of my life in CT. Ug. :)

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "My dad is better than your dad" :p

5. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    B.A. (Sociology) - San Francisco State Coll.
    M.A. (Sociology) - Washington State U.
    Ph.D. (Sociology) - Washington State U.

6. wombatua

wombatua New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    B.A., history (Moravian College)
    M.A., history (Indiana University of Pennsylvania)
    Certificate in Museum Collections Care (George Washington University)

7. finkj

finkj New Member

BA Music Performance (cello)
    University of the Arts, Philadelphia Pa

8. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    HS Diploma
    Diploma- Paralegal (PCDI)
    BS Nursing (Idaho State)
    MS Health Services (California College for Health Sciences)
    Strongly considering returning to school for my J.D.

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy...do I ever feel like an underachiever here...

Merely a BS in Mass Comm/Journalism (major) w/ psych minor. (Which 4 year degree taking 6+ because I was a helluva lot better at hanging out in the student cafeteria, drinking beer, smoking dope and playing Hearts--also hanging out at the school newspaper and radio station, with the same additions except for the card playing--this was a college 2 of 4...) :eek:

10. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's okay Rufaro, I only have:

BFA - Film/Animation/Video, RISD

So I guess having an art degree I'm WAY less educated than you regular folks ;) Even if I wanted to go further, MFA is the terminal degree in my field.

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Feb 17 2007, 06:25 AM) [snapback]391983[/snapback]</div>
    But RISD WAY trumps my Carleton U (Ottawa), Dawson College (Montreal), Emerson College (Boston) and The City University (London--England, not Ontario--for Jr yr abroad). :(

12. Anna Nicole

Anna Nicole New Member

Master's from a top 10 university.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Feb 17 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]391988[/snapback]</div>
    how about my little river town university that nobody's ever heard of? :p screw the name, what matters is what you took away from the experience.

i saved the big name/ranking school for grad school... when i wouldn't be paying for it! :lol:

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In my case, I can wholeheartedly say that the name had a lot to do with what I took away from the experience.

But as a part-time adjunct professor now, I can also say that even a school with a good name can't help a student with chronic apathy, and what you get out of your education has a direct correlation to the kind of effort you put into it.

Lots of people have degrees without necessarily being well educated, and lots of people without degrees have a thing or two to teach the rest of us.

15. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

HS NUHS, Cedar Falls, Iowa
    BS Math, Computer Systems Engineering, Stanford
    MS Computer Science, Stanford
    Emergency Response Team Training, Mountain View
    Flying Lessons, Palo Alto
    Knowledge to help me buy, enjoy, and modify my Prius, PriusChat.com :)

16. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    B.A., Social Science/Education, courtesy of Ford Foundation grant at
    Syracuse University

forever 6 credit-hrs. short of M.A. in Education, as Life intervened

Far more impressive is what my wife accomplished. A Cambodian refugee whose formal education was cut short when she was in the 5th grade and the Khmer Rouge murdered her parents and brother (1975), she completed a GED in two years in an ESL (English as a Second Language) program in Salt Lake City---WHILE learning English, and IN English.

"Education"'s an elusive concept. My German grandmother had an embroidery on the wall saying, "We grow too soon old and too late schmart". I have little going for myself except for curiosity. Because of it, aided by the internet and the public library, I can say that, due to a forced, unplanned retirement in 2002, I've learned more, about more things, in the last 4+ years than in the previous 61 taken together. To what end? None that I can explain.

We ed majors used to speculate on "useful" knowledge vs. "other kinds". I've always felt it's a false dichotomy, and, to borrow a cliche, that knowledge---all of it--- is its own reward.

I think I'll start another thread asking folks to identify what field of study they'd engage in "if they had it to do over". I'd like it if all the same people who posted here also posted there!

For me, it would be music, with the goals both of writing music and conducting orchestras.

Uh, Go Orange!

17. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

BS in geological sciences, BA in business administration.

Recently I discovered that I go something like crazy when I'm not learning anything, so I've been tiding myself over with audio lectures and the awesome courses (like MITs) available online until I can find the time for 'real' education.

18. Skeptic357

Skeptic357 New Member

BS Chemistry

Why? Because it seemed at the time to be the easiest course of study with career prospects. Hardly a day goes by that I don't regret overcoming my fears and tackling a more challenging course of study. I should have gone to grad school too, back when that was feasible.

These days I try to round out my education by pumping my ears full of recorded books--I have to redeem my 2-3 daily hours of commute somehow. I will return to school later this year to pursue nursing--I haven't a clue as to the logistics, but I've realized that it's just something I have to do.