1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the best EV mod?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jdjeep98, Jan 25, 2006.

?
  1. None - I can always run in "stealth" mode if I want.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. None - I'm scared to death to touch anything.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Two wires - It's cheap and I can always rip them out.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Generic Push Button - Cheap, easy, and I can put it in the blank.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Headlight Flash Mod - Cheap and invisible - I never flash my lights.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cruise Control Cancel - Minimal dash disassembly - I like that.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. OEM Button - I like the stock look and don't mind the dissassembly.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Two Key Switches - One, two, three, NOW!

100.0%
  9. Secure Keypad - I don't want anyone to be able to do it but me!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know what you mean by: "headlights won't flash with headlights off". Every car I have had with headlight low/high on a stalk has turned the lights on and "flashed" when the stalk is pulled back (that's since 1971 and 11 cars in my case). I just checked my 2006. The lamps powered up even with the car off as expected. Barb's 2005 is not around, so I can't verify but I would bet money it does the same. HID or not doesn't matter.

So if you mean what I think you mean, you might want to rethink the headlight flash as a control. People will think you're signalling them whenever you are just trying to get into EV mode. Use the Coastal mod or buy a switch.

- Tom

2. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too! ONLY 6%! :blink: It was SO easy, and you have to get in there anyway, to retrieve a couple of the terminals. I love it! B)

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Best? That is tough. Each works. It is kind of like asking what is best, Scotch, Bourbon, or Irish whiskey? All you are going to do is start a fight. My suggestion is use all three!!

4. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps my information is obsolete on this point. I was going by Efusco's instructions which state at the end:

Cruise Control EV
    Coastal Dave at Coastal E Tech has devised a simple system to use the Cruise Control Cancel to engage and disengage EV mode. The switch is available for purchase for $45.

Note that this modification has some quirky/unique features. If this is an option you're interested please read this thread first so you'll know what to expect. Dave runs a reputable business and has done a lot for Prius people over the years.
    To summarize the quirks:
    1)Any time you cancel Cruise Control (CC) and are not able to engage EV (speed too high, battery too low, etc.) you will hear the 3 beeps warning that EV couldn't engage.
    2)Loss of cruise control at speeds below 35mph.
    3)You'll hear the 3 beeps when engaging CC
    4)EV can't be cancelled with the CC stem--have to use brakes or stomp the accelerator

5. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Yes that is what I meant by flashing.
    2. There is only one bulb in the HID lamp. Low and high beam are the same bulb.
    3. The difference between low and high beams on the Prius HID is a movable shutter which blocks part of the beam when low beams are selected.

Originally the high beams could be flashed with or without the the low beams being turned on. The way I did the mod the high beams can no longer be flashed unless the low beams are on. Had I spliced into the purple wire instead of replacing it I could have retained that functionality.

It is true if I engage EV mode while the headlights are on the high beams will flash, but not if the headlights are off. This isn't really an issue for me because I don't turn EV on and off once I'm out of the parking lot or driveway and out on the road.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Yes, that information is obsolete; the kit has long since been modified. There is no impairment or interaction between the cruise control and the EV mode functions now.

7. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I realize your comment probably wasn't directed at me specifically but let me say, my intention is not to start an argument or suggest everyone should do it like I did. I just thought explaining my reasons for doing it the way I did might help someone else make a choice.

The cheapest, simplest solution happens to work well for me.

8. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My sincere apologies to Coastal Dave. I meant no disrespect.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great information. Thanks for all this! Doesn't make my decision any easier at this point, but it does help!

I'll likely do the free "high beam" mod until we get the OEM switch all figured out for the 2006.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess for me "best" was the easiest to get including the parts and install. I went with Costal E Tech because it was easily to get at the time and the OEM was not. I did not want to go with just anything for a switch. The install was important to me because I had to a replacement on my 1990 Ford and broke some connectors for the panels and the whole thing ended up costing me twice as much. 5 buck second hand woofer, and 25 bucks worth of connectors. I really dreaded that part of the install even though it was the easiest part of the whole thing. Sorry for being a bit harsh with the comments but I do think all of them are "best" just different.

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, now that I've learned more about the HID lamps, I'm inclined to go with the high-beam switch guys. Can I vote again? :)

I don't think I'll be flashing the high beams much without the low beams on... I'm wondering how bright a "flash" of HID could be, actually. And I agree that it isn't the best for the lamps to "flash." This technology is meant to warm up and be left on.

12. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Okay, you talked me into it. I did the headlight flash mod today because of your post.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So now that you've done it, what do you think? Recommend it to others?

I figure this is the perfect one to at least START with. After you've got the pin in and the wire run, you can do any other the other version with VERY little extra effort. This is where I'll start too, me thinks!

14. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I'm all about it. It rocks. I usually come home down a hill, so it's nice to inform the car that it doesn't need ICE anymore at the top. Costco is down the other side of the hill, so it was ev mode all the way from the top to there as well. I also love golf cart mode in parking lots, even though no one cares, but me. And being able to move the car around a few hundred feet without starting the ICE is already coming in quite handy.

I think I'll stick with the headlight mod. I don't need to flash people, and can be careful about flashing them when the lights are on. Maybe they'll assume I'm warning them there's a speed trap ahead, and slow down. I'm not sure which is worse, giving them high-beams or killing the lights all together. Either way, I'm sure I'll get by and figure it out.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Excellent. Thanks for the report.

16. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D Wow, I totally like this completely "REVERSIBLE" way to do the EV mode modification.

No stripping of wires or cutting into the dash to leave any physical evidence that could void the warrantee. Not to mention it reads very simple to perform the installation procedures. :p

However, I just have one question. :huh: Does the ECU register, or log somehow, that the Prius has ever been used in EV ONLY mode once it has been engaged on PIN 27?

I'm just hoping that the ECU is not smart enough to show the Toyota mechanic on some diagnostic screen that the EV only mode has ever been used.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not the flasher mod? Because of the obvious problem; confusing
    other drivers when you invoke it. People flash their highs for
    dumb enough reasons already; I'm not at all comfortable with the
    idea of contributing to that problem, especially when I'm *not*
    trying to communicate anything to them!
    What a cockamamie idea. There are numerous places to mount a
    little pushbutton switch, even underneath or behind something if
    you're worried about it being too obvious.
    _H*

18. jeneric

jeneric New Member

It'd be nice if the flasher mod didn't flash the high beams when the lights are on. Actually, I don't like how the high beams are aimed and think I could do without them all together. That shouldn't be tough to totally disable them.

I don't know if it's just because it's new to me, but I'm finding I want to try use ev mode a lot more often than I thought I would. And this is only when I think having the engine running is more wasteful then energy being lost in conversion. Which I think is only the end of a trip, the really bad traffic area of a trip, and maybe the beginning of a trip before any real acceleration.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My choice would be obvious to those who've read my OEM button addendum to the original EV hack instructions ;-) If not, read my sig ;-P

20. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

Just enabled EV yesterday, via the flasher method. Flashing people shouldn't be a problem, because there are only limited scenarios when you'd use EV mode. It took about 45 minutes or so, and I really love it. My wife thinks I'm a total geek!