1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what's the best part about a road trip with a Prius?

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by Stardom, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Stardom

Stardom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What's the comforts of riding in one?

2. Stardom

Stardom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    meaning the pros more than the cons

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Loads of rear seat legroom, smooth power delivery, If your traveling alone you can sleep in the back as long as you're not tall, stealth through towns, more to spend on things not related to getting there when you get there.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • mileage. Got 56mpg (indicated) even while doing 60mph with occasional 70mph bursts and some 50mph secondary highways.
    • Comfortable mountain driving (no down shifts every time you hit go uphill. The car will slowly and smoothly increase the power output
    • Fairly spacious for its exterior dimensions. Good legroom front and back
    • Fairly generous cargo space (with hidden underfloor bins to store small items)
    • Lots of ntertainment choices (AM/FM/CD/MP3 CD/SAT/USB/AUX or bluetooth audio streaming)
    • Available radar cruise control and Lane Keep Assist to make highway driving less stressful
    • Good aerodynamics & acoustic windshield contribute to low wind noises for its class (don't expect Lexus-levels of quietness of course)

5. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was offered my Prius at the dealership my mother was working at in the parts department, my determining factor was whether or not it had an AUX hook up. I asked, it did, I said "I'll take it!" That, and cruise control are nice. Of course the gas mileage isn't too bad either. :)

6. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the amazing climate control system, no more constantly adjusting the heat/air.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing, unless you're comparing it to a ugo. when we take a road trip, we take the hycam. everything is more comfortible except the mileage. and then, you're only talking 50 - a hundred bucks.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    other than the gas bill, its simply the car.

entertainment; radio, sat if you have it, CD, i pods or streaming from your phone (our choice about 90% of the time)

comfort. adjustable seats, as far as cars go, many ride better, have more comfortable seats, etc.

this car is not top of the line in anything, but there are just too many "4 of 5 stars" to ignore.

my Leaf rides better but due to a very heavy battery pack lowering the center of gravity to the axle level. this allows the car to corner at nearly any speed with ZERO body roll.

but the seats are not as nice because of less adjustment, but still now bad. but its all a "workaround" world. i cant afford a Lexus 600, so i "learn" to live without it but even if i had the money, i would be driving the same things anyway...along with a Tesla that is !!

9. dplatnyc

dplatnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It does a lot of the work for the driver which is nice on a road trip. Nav tells you where to go and how long it's taking. HSD works out the power delivery over varied terrain. Cruise control keeps it pleasantly at speed. HVAC maintains the temperature.

In addition to the more conventional entertainment through the stereo, the MFD provides visual stimulation. You can game the mileage, etc.

10. kaizen

kaizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Recently traded our 2006 Prius w/96,000 miles for a 2010 w/solar roof and nav system. Based on several long road trips in the 2006, some up to 7000 miles long, and our first 5000 miles in the 2010, here are some of the pros that come to mind, especially for two people on long trips:
    1. Gas mileage
    2. Nav system, especially with XM Traffic and traffic flow
    3. Sat radio and sound system, including the ability to compress multiple books on CD onto one MP3 CD, eliminating the need to constantly switch CDs
    4. Hidden storage space under luggage area for storing laptop computer, etc
    5. Legroom and relatively comfortable driver's seat, even on 800+ mile days
    6. Perfect sized luggage area for two large rolling suitcases, still covered from view.
    7. Integration with iPhones, including seamless Aux Bluetooth system interface with music and podcasts in 2010 model
    8. Plenty of power in 2010 model for hills and merging

The only real travel drawback, to me, is rear/side visibility when changing lanes or backing up in crowded parking situations.

Hope this helps.

11. chado1000

chado1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would have to say the Sat. radio and the MPG.